So the GPU's in the PS4 and 720 will be atleast 3x weaker

The key specs for the next consoles have been decided up to a thin corridor (more/less RAM, exact speed) years ago. No publisher would greenlight an AAA game without knowing what the platform will look like. You can safely assume Sony and MS both know what specs the next competing consoles will probably have.

nVidia certainly knows which performance to expect from the announced chip. And of course they pulled a stat out of their ass which makes ATI look bad and nVidia good. Normal business practice.

I easily spend less than $100 a year on games. I regularly trade games with friends and on Craigslist. It quite easy and quick to swap a game on CL in my area. I'm one of those rare people who have never been online with my 360 so no bills there for me. Actually I don't even have home internet except for the smartphone. I guess I could tether it like the laptop but its just not important to me. You have your preference and I have mine.

That's about to end, at least for the Xbox. It's said the new Xbox will have mechanisms to stop the use of pre-owned games. But in any case, if you don't have internet and you don't play online then you're in the minority, so it could be cheaper for *you* but in general, console gaming is not really any cheaper than PC gaming.

That's about to end, at least for the Xbox. It's said the new Xbox will have mechanisms to stop the use of pre-owned games. But in any case, if you don't have internet and you don't play online then you're in the minority, so it could be cheaper for *you* but in general, console gaming is not really any cheaper than PC gaming.

It hasn't been verified yet and at least Sony dropped it. At least there smart. I wonder when being online or having mp became so important to playing games.

I have never hooked up my consoles to play online and doubt I ever will. My pc is used for all my online needs.

At the end of the day it's all about control and money. Typical but it's the truth regardless of the pr saying it's good for all gamers and convenient.

Last edited:
My next console will likely be the Ouya. I'll probably wait for the next revision of it but it interests me more than the next xbox version. As you can tell, I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore so no hurry for me to update anything.

It hasn't been verified yet and at least Sony dropped it. At least there smart. I wonder when being online or having mp became so important to playing games.

I have never hooked up my consoles to play online and doubt I ever will. My pc is used for all my online needs.

At the end of the day it's all about control and money. Typical but it's the truth regardless of the pr saying it's good for all gamers and convenient.

In my case my PS3 is always connected, but not to play, but to watch mostly Netflix and Hulu +. I also used to watch Bluray movies with it when I was subscribed to Netflix by mail and then Blockbuster by mail.

ps4_specs.png

Cerny has said the gpu was 1.84 tflops at the reveal.

Who cares if the GPUs are weaker in a console? Consoles were never compared to PCs in the past, and they shouldn't be now (just because they may be using hardware parts). At the end of the day, it's all about the games.

It's also about the kind of gaming you prefer. Obviously, you're not buying a console to play the latest strategy game, flight sim or to mess around with countless mods.

And for someone who used to be a PC gamer, I'm pretty impressed with the console games of the past few years. Sure, I bet if I got a new PC (haven't had a new PC in ages) and played a PC version of a recent title, the console one would probably pale in comparison on a high end PC, but who cares? I've enjoyed Dark Souls, Red Dead Redemption, Assasin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2 and many others on my 360 AND thought they looked great.

And if I went by system specs and graphics, I wouldn't be toting around my DS/PSP or downloading games from GOG for my laptop.

Well, it's disappointing if the next generation of consoles start off being below the upper end of PC-based CPU+GPU perf (assuming that's true) - we'll be stuck with them for 8-10 years (?) While it will be a huge boost for those who only care about consoles or have aging PC's, it means that, once again, the full power of PCs will not be exploited in 'next gen games'. Well, not to the extent its should be. Still, I suppose we PC users need to be aware of our place and be thankful we have been tossed this bone - so at least there will be a perf jump in game capabilities in the near future.

And beyond GPUs, we have Intel's MIC arch. debuting soon - that will have many more cores than the conventional 4/6/8 hyper-threaded CPUs and could (will?) leave this setup looking positively ancient in the next few years. Of course, we probably won't know what we're missing on higher-end PCs because developers will be coding for 'next-gen' consoles.

Don't forget that multi core processing advantages are minimized in a gaming environment.

So far, yeah, but they design games knowing that the machines running them will just have a few cores. Give them a lot more cores and they might be able to add more things that can use them.

To an extent. The main prolem is that unlike most programs, games can't be broken into fully independent systems. Rendering, Colision, Sounds, Logic, etc are all tied so closely its difficult to seperate them enough to make the overhead worthwhile.

The biggest difference will be Unreal Engine 4, we've been limited to UE 3 for such a long time.

Back
Top Bottom