IMDB's 100 top rated movies, it's all change!

whatamireading.png

its not a popular opinion but its my opinion. and I'm right.

---

This is not a top 10 or top 100, this is a list of movies people really liked that they voted for. Citizen Kane is 93, North by Northwest is 96. Obviously this doesn't make them bad movies and I'm not worried that they aren't listed in 10 or 25. Its just what the voters think.

Obviously, all these movies have their demographics voting for them. Young audiences tend to vote for new movies while having no interest in older ones. Unless you're a movie buff, why would you login to vote for an older movie.

There has been some issues over certain hollywood politics the last few years (not just fan backlash but lawsuits) but for the most part IMDB is still pretty good. There has not been the problems Rotten Tomatoes has had the last few years.

And then you refused to explore elsewhere. Probably didn't give a shot to modern versions, many hated Batman vs Superman but IMO it's an underrated masterpiece not understood by the audience who wanted some shallow michaely bay style movie.

I meant Superheroes in general.
I think Shazam is the only movie I'd watch, or Hancock.
I was greatly enjoying the book "Wearing the cape", which was the only superhero book that ever interested me.

Remember that I grew up with a completely different comic book tradition, and superheroes were for me out of that because they were on the one hand so realistic - humans - but *also* on the other hand so unrealistic - superhero powers. I didn't like that specific combination.
Plus, superheroes never had humour. There were always grim stories. and I didn't like that, too.

My "superhero" tradition was that of Asterix and of Lucky Luke - "the man who shoots faster than his shadow". Both were highly infised by the humour of the French author of René Goscinni.

Even as a kid I never liked anything grim. And in didn't find that in superheroes. The Batman movies and the more modern movies, which are more and more grim were pushing me further away from the superhero genre. In fact, all of my live I never liked movies without humour much. (There are only a few exeptions to that, like Rio Bravo or The Fisherking.)

I saw The Host a week or two back, it was very entertaining.

Still waiting for the sequel, they hyped it up years ago but probably got shelved, just like Mongol trilogy.
The host is fun, the monster is clumsy and disgusting showing no emotions, just the way I like it, there is no moral preaching when they kill it.

I meant Superheroes in general.
I think Shazam is the only movie I'd watch, or Hancock.
Shazam is a shallow mediocrity. Not saying it isn't fun. But you won't miss anything if you skip it.
About Hancock, I refused to watch it (have no time nor willpower to explain why).

I was greatly enjoying the book "Wearing the cape", which was the only superhero book that ever interested me.
Never heard of it. Could browse stores for it…
However I'm a proud owner of "The Cape" deluxe edition (hardcover) that is about a superpower and morality of it's users. It's one of Joe Hill's masterpieces and IMO a musthave if you care about comics, hopefully it won't ever end up on screen as Hollywood would just ruin it:
https://www.amazon.com/Cape-Deluxe-Joe-Hill/dp/1613776721
Not saying you should go for it, except twisted humor there are gore and horror scenes in there.

superheroes never had humour. There were always grim stories. and I didn't like that, too.
No. Even in the most drak & gritty superhero comic there is always some humor. Unless it's some rubbish.
Except in Arkham Asylum, but that's pretty much an unique comic visually and storywise, and is not really about superheroes but supervillains. ;)

My "superhero" tradition was that of Asterix and of Lucky Luke - "the man who shoots faster than his shadow". Both were highly infised by the humour of the French author of René Goscinni.
That's my childhood too. But eventually I've decided to widen my experiences and discovered a whole world of wildest imaginations just waiting to be enjoyed. And most of it, if not all, is full of humor.

Even as a kid I never liked anything grim.
Just as the humor is a part of human life, everything grim is too. It's you who should adapt to it, not it to adapt to you.
The thing is, some humor is bad just like a grim story can be good. That's where the taste pops in. We don't have to like same things, but we can respect and appreciate even those we're not comfortable with.
Unless something is an obvious scam produced only to milk money, such stuff deserve no respect even if it meets your taste. IMO. Monetization is a part of every economy, but when companies behave as consciencelessness sociopaths, their scams need to be ignored and not appreciated.

The Batman movies and the more modern movies…
For all I remember I've never suggested you any Batman movie directly.
I do remember suggesting stuff that I bet you'd fall in love with. But as all the sad stories go, I'd probably die before it happens as you, thanks to my extreme criticism on videogames industry, you believe it's all trolling. And it's not.

Still waiting for the sequel, they hyped it up years ago but probably got shelved
Gwoemul 2 is planned to hit korean cinemas next month.
The hype years ago was a hoax backed with fake info, screens and vids.

Last edited:
Since I fully skipped this thread, @joxer; replied to me in The Outer Worlds' one:

"(…) In top250 imdb movies thread we got stuck on the best brazillian movies in this century and remembered only Cidade De Deus, Elite Squad and ES:The Enemy Within.
Because I avoid drama/biography/war/history, I skipped 2 Filhos de Francisco… Am I unfair? I mean, is it really something people should watch before dying as some suggest?
What about Araby, one of critics here was so impressed with it after some festival I've added that title on my to watch list, but so far didn't find it anywhere.
Etc etc, it'd be a shame to skip stuff due to our ignorance, and thus please point us on some, by your opinion, above average titles please.
"

First, a quick correction if nobody does mind. As per this thread's post #9: the movie Carandiru is based on true events depicting a prison riot that happened here in 1992, but that prison wasn't located in Rio de Janeiro but in São Paulo instead.

As for the movies named by Joxer in his post - Cidade de Deus (I don't know its international name, would it be City of God?), Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad) and Tropa de Elite 2: O Inimigo Agora é Outro (Elite Squad: The Enemy Within) - all that can I say is all of them are great movies, IMHO. I watched them all in movie theaters here and I do recommend them! As for the movie "2 Filhos de Francisco" (2 Sons of Francisco ??) I didn't watch it, it never got my interest so I can't say anything about it.

Regarding other 21st century Brazilian movies, I can recommend the aforementioned Carandiru, a little drama called O Palhaço (The Clown), Ônibus 174 (Bus 174, this one's a documentary) and 2 Coelhos (2 Rabbits).

Last edited:
I feel offended :D

Please, don't be :p

Thing is I hardly post in TV shows/Movie threads, among other reasons, because I feel I can't really contribute in a meaningful way. Usually I don't watch movies when they got released and most times movies are released in Brasil some weeks later than they are in USA, for example (of course there are exceptions to this rule).

So you can thank Joxer for asking me to come here and share some impressions about Brasilian movies :)

Last edited:
There is no reason to watch anything upon it's release unless you're very interested into a title. I generally leave everything to "betatesters" then rely to word of mouth whenever possible, if not, I ask around.

As it happens 90% of everything is garbage. Yea, I will open a new thread on that tomorrow. I have no time for everything and because of that I want to avoid junk. And mediocrity.
And I don't discriminate. A great movie is a great movie, regardless from where it came from. In fact I'm more interested in small film industries than in gigantic hollywood and bollywood - smaller projects are full of fresh ideas unafraid to risk.

I ask everyone their recommendations - plenty of exceptional stuff is available on streams including antics (okay, classics!) and is not as expensive as in the past where one had to import videodisc or later DVDs when something skipped cinemas nearby and wasn't available by any other means.

The list in this topic we've discussed already, I said it's a great one for someone who's just starting to explore worldwide cinemas, but the list due to technicalities has it's problems and some titles just aren't there while some didn't really deserve to "join the club". The list counts imdb user votes and no entry with less than 25K votes can be on it even if it's the best movie ever. :)

Here's an example. Maybe the greatest german comedy of all times, Pappa ante Portas is not on this list! Why? Only 4.5K votes. Should it be there? It should. Because maybe it's score is borderline (8/10), but many people think german comedies do not exist. They do and I usually joke around about misconception: germany = no humor. Thus a list of 250 best movies should fight against the prejudice with at least that one title, even if the words play is difficult to translate.
Now when I mentioned it… I don't think Alrik suggested this one to me. Shame on him, right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom