What are you reading?

I just finished reading Battle Hymn, book five of the Lost Regiment series. This novel takes a different bent, most of the story is focused around a few of the Yankees who were captured some years ago, and are living with the enemy, being forced to help them industrialize the opposition. Not my favourite book of the set, but I do like the characters involved so I tolerate it.

This afternoon during lunch, I polished off Never Sound Retreat, which is book six of the Lost Regiment series. The horde have acquired several advance minds of their own, and those folk quickly rise to the throne of power to elevate their kin as well as improving the current weapons/tactics of their species. The humans are in for a tough couple of campaigns!

And after finishing this book, I'm already twenty pages into the next.

I'm about two thirds through Lisey's Tale by Stephen King, and I think I've found my worst King novel. It's improving now, but not before 100s of pages of cutesy terms, annoying time shifts, and a whole lot of cringe. I went in with high hopes despite knowing its reputation, as I've liked other divisive King novels (like Rose Madder), but I'm siding with the haters this time around.

A few hours ago I knocked off book seven of the Lost Regiment series, A Band of Brothers. Lots of Henry the fifth analogies/parallels in this book, you could say it's fairly replete with them. These latter books are a bit shorter than the earlier ones, and not as good, at least in my opinion, but still well worth reading.

Over the past five days I finished off the Lost Regiment series with books eight and nine, Men of War and Down to the Sea. I'd never read the last book before, I find it curious that the author set up a new protagonist but never followed it up, as Down to the Sea seems to be the final book. The last few books are somewhat disappointing when you compare them to the earlier books in the series, but still well worth reading.

Next up for me will be a long time favourite, the Black Company!

Struggling my way through Alien: Prototype.

It's pretty bad, so far.

Also recently finished Alien Isolation (Audiobook) - and it was even more boring than the busywork quests of the actual game.

Bah.

Another series that I'd given away years ago and never re-bought was the Black Company, by Glen Cook. Over the past three days I completed the first book, and started the second this morning. This series brings back the nostalgia in a great way, one of my all time best memories as far as literature goes.

Just finished the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - the first of the Philip Marlowe novels. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the crisp writing style, but I couldn't explain the plot. It was pretty confusing.

Last king of Osten Ard - I'm rereading the first 4 books in prep of book 5 (which came out a few months ago). Not too much reading only around 3000 pages. Tad Williams can be a bit wordy.

Getting to the end of “Good Omens” by Pratchett & Gaiman. Had heard about it and the TV series but never read it, and it was on sale at Amazon last month so I grabbed it. Pretty fun stuff coming to a climax!

I just finished reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It's been a while since I've read something fun. I was able to read the whole thing in just one day. I do hope it has a movie adaptation just like Coraline.

Parallel read: Stephen King: 'Salem's Lot and The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier

It is amazing how these two writers deal with the creeping terror theme. Amazing stuff.

Note to self: realized again that vintage King is the best King, when his books were less than 500 pages, were twisted southern gothics instead of straight horrors, and fueled by his memories.

Just finished the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - the first of the Philip Marlowe novels. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the crisp writing style, but I couldn't explain the plot. It was pretty confusing.

Heh, not even himself was able to decipher it, according to a Hollywood legend when the movie version was made.

But that's the beauty of noir fiction: it's all about style, atmosphere and emotions. Brilliant stuff, especially if you are fed up with hyper-logical Agatha Christie books. :)

Over the past few weeks I finished off the original Black Company series. Two days ago I started reading the Silver Spike, which is a follow-up story after the first trilogy. The whole campaign brings back great memories!

I just finished:
- ‘Good Omens’ - the ending was a bit scattered but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit.
- Catch 22 (again) - always like this one.
- How To ... - by Randall Munroe (guy who does xkcd) ... love his books, this is no exception.

Now reading ‘26 Marathons’ by Meb Keflezighi, who is a running legend and who I also got to meet and chat with recently as he was the ‘featured guest’ for the Corning Wineglass Marathon. Love his stories.

I'm interested in reading Wolf in White Van. Anyone read it?

Note to self: realized again that vintage King is the best King, when his books were less than 500 pages, were twisted southern gothics instead of straight horrors, and fueled by his memories.

Did you read The Stand?

Over the past few weeks I finished off the original Black Company series.

There are a lot of Black Company books. Which ones are worth reading? Do all
follow the same narrative and have consistent characters?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom