What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
A decent action film with a decent story,imho the best X-men film.A nice prequel that fits with the other films,I didn't understand one thing though:
Striker had 2 sons?That XI mutant and the psychic in X2?Or it's the same son just reassembled?

I'm thinking about Star Trek but I haven't really watched any else Start Trek film would I like the new one?

I'm thinking about Star Trek but I haven't really watched any else Start Trek film would I like the new one?

Yup. It's a blast. I'm not a die-hard fan of the ST series, and I haven't seen the original series until recently, and it's this movie that made me want to go back and check out the original series.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
A decent action film with a decent story,imho the best X-men film.A nice prequel that fits with the other films,I didn't understand one thing though:
Striker had 2 sons?That XI mutant and the psychic in X2?Or it's the same son just reassembled?
Saw it last night, too. Don't know that I'd call it the best X-Men, but it wasn't bad. Mutant XI was the sword guy, Ward. Striker's son was the kid in cryo with a green and a blue eye.

The part that I didn't understand is that the brothers didn't age, but yet they grew up from childhood. Something doesn't add up there.

Saw it last night, too. Don't know that I'd call it the best X-Men, but it wasn't bad. Mutant XI was the sword guy, Ward. Striker's son was the kid in cryo with a green and a blue eye.
Ah yeah now I remember the person in cryo.
The part that I didn't understand is that the brothers didn't age, but yet they grew up from childhood. Something doesn't add up there.
Same here but I guess they couldn't have 2 kids killing every living being.

Just saw Black Book, Paul Verhoevens first Dutch movie in decades. It's an espionage thriller playing NL near and shortly after the end of WW II.
Good movie. A lot of ambivalent characters, traitors everywhere, surprising plot twists every couple of minutes. The world is grey, not black & white.
A long list of very convincing Dutch and German actors. Especially Carice van Houten and Sebastian Koch were great. Both also played in Valkyre, I think.
The movie is long (149 min.) but never boring. It takes the time for character development and suspense between the action. Towards the end it's almost seems a bit rushed. After a good 30 minutes a couple of tragedies have happened, leading to van Houten's char to join the resistance. She becomes the SS commander's secretary. From there on things are moving fast ...
Verhoeven combines the great storytelling of his early low budget movies (most with Rudger Hauer) with the visual brilliance he is known for if he has a solid budget. Here he had 18M EUR, which is nothing in Hollywood but a fortune in Europe. So the movie looks classy from start to finish. The amount of gore is low according to Verhoeven's standards. Of course there are a couple of bloody shootouts, and also a little torturing, but this time he doesn't try to redefine the scale. The R rating in the US was probably due to quite a lot of nudity. Especially van Houten shows quite a lot. Nothing shocking for a European though.

Entertaining movie with a lot of touching scenes. Quality cinema and not so far away from the mainstream as one would expect. It's refreshing to see this director stay away from calculated provocation and concentrate on solid film making. And Verhoeven simply knows how to create and hold suspense.

B

Angels & Demons
Watch this on the cinema. I wasn't too impressed by the script, but otherwise watchable and my friends liked it. The story was "a bit" over the top with more focus on the action than mystery. During the climax of the movie, I seemed to be the only one laughing out loud.

Night at the Museum 2
Not as good as the first one, but not as bad as it could have been. I was very troubled by a few glaring holes in the script (you can unload a cargo box into a small plane and fly from DC to NYC and back in 2 hours? Puhleeze.), which tempered my enjoyment quite a bit. The Wild Dogs seemed to have a very good time, though. Mission accomplished, I guess.

The Spirit
I knew it was going to be a bit stupid, but I thought the art and environs would make up for it, kinda like Sin City. Boy, was I wrong. What a klunker. Even more stupid than expected, and none of the redeeming qualities.

"Yes Man."

Or whatever, that Jim Carrey movie about him saying yes to everything. Watched it at mama tiger's while we had a bbq n stuff. I thought it was pretty funny and novel at first, but lost steam for me about halfway thru. First one of his movies that I think has a good message tho - when you find yourself saying no all the time or a lot, just start saying yes instead. Break the cycle, get off your track. It's worked for me in the past, not to really important things, dont be an idiot about it of course.

X-Men Wolverine:

I'm convinced someone made this movie exclusively to torture me - and with absolutely no other motive whatsoever.

After The Fountain, Jackman REALLY should come up with something better than a shitbath for a paycheck.

---

I'm not in a bad mood - I just like to express myself :biggrin:

Star Trek
"That was a pretty good show, even if it was Star Warstrekwhatever". Courtesy of Mrs dte, trust me that such a comment is the highest of praise. I thought it was quite good as well, and I picked up the numerous tips of the hat to the old series the went right over Mrs dte's head. Definitely worth seeing, even for non-trekkies (I actually lost interest after a few rounds of Next Generation). The visuals are "big" enough to merit seeing it on the big screen, too.

Has anyone watched the Spirit flick? I like the comic and consider renting it... EDIT: I need to check my eyesight...

Last edited:
Ummm, scroll up 4 posts. ;)

I need new spectacles or more coffee:D Thanks for the warning anyway.

To actually contribute something to the thread: The gf and I rented Red Baron a few weeks ago. As fans of adventure movies we rather enjoyed it even if it was a bit heavy on the romance and antiwar stuff compared to the dogfights I was hoping for, but that OTOH helped keep the gf interested. The CGI didnt look all that credible but that doesnt bother me all that much. 3 1/2 stars and well worth a rental.

Terminator salvation
--------------------------

The movie fails to impress me much; there are better action films out there in recent years and currently showing. The story felt very thin, and the character of Marcus is the only more stand out guy in the movie.

Night at the Museum 2
Never watched the 1st part but the 2nd one was great.As dte said some things didn't really make sense but it's forgivable,I laughed to tears at the Vader part :D

Up
If you've seen the commercials, you've seen some of the better parts (not all of them), but it's very much worth watching. Good family entertainment. Not really much "over the kids' heads" stuff for the adults, but the movie holds up on its own. Don't know that there's anything that would look "less" on a TV, so a rental is probably good enough.

Der Baader Meinhof Complex
Given the overall leanings in the artsy crowd I feared that the story of the Red Army Faction would be heavily romanticised. Luckily there wasnt all that much of that except for in the beginning were it sort of makes sense as part of the motivation for these nutters to slip over the edge. Still not entertainment for everyone, but I'd expect those who appreciate shows like Spielbergs Munich (rather worse) to enjoy this title. 4/5

Burn after reading
Fairly solid Coen with plenty of absurd/silly characters and pointless deaths. Offers a lot of quality acting, of which I enjoyed Pitt's gym guy and Clooney's basement engineer the most. 4/5.

Back
Top Bottom