U5: Lazarus

If you want lots of combat, enter a few dugeons; WoP are easy to get. Sailing can be fun too!!

I found that just wandering the countryside has tons of combat. I just needed to get out of the starting woods. I'm now exploring Trinsic and have run into groups of spiders, trolls and orcs guarding a bridge, etc. The game is really growing on me. I still find the towns chit-chat to be beyond dull, but if I take it in small bites, it doesn't become too irritating. The biggest downer is waiting around for townsfolk. This was a terrible idea. It wouldn't be bad if you could wake people to talk, or at least interrupt their walking to and fro, but as is you waste a ton of time in town waiting around. If the game had a decent journal I'd give it an 8, but it's still a 6+ and a nice trip down memory lane. It'll do till NWN2 arrives.

Question: The avatar can take anything without losing Karma as long as it's not owned, correct? I took a bunch of bows from Gwenneth's house and it seems like that was okay. I mean Iolo made them, so I should be able to take those....

Last edited:
No, you can't take them; they are 'owned'!! Remember, the conversations, town routines, etc, are all taken from the original. It's supposed to make it more realistic. If you want NPC's to be always available, play Oblivion!! :biggrin:

I find the conversations to be one of the best parts of the game. Almost all of the games story and quests are delivered through conversation so you'll be missing a lot if you pass it by. Maybe you should just use a walkthrough if you want an easier time with the town visits.

I've changed my mind on the game. I'm starting to get into the storylines. They're really simple, so it's not too bad to just jot down quest-related info. If I remember, I need to see if DS/U5 can be played in windowed mode. That way I can just tab between notepad and the game and keep notes that way. I'm probably going to restart as a ranger. They seem to have more abilities than a paladin and I need to keep track of stuff a lot better than I have so far.

Just wanted to say that the German translation is out.

Anyone play through in the 'evil' mode where you support Blackthorne? I finished it a few months ago and am just about down with NWN OC, so I'm thinking about going back and playing through as an evil avatar, but wondering if enough thought was put into it to make it worthwhile.

Much as I love this game, I could never play Evil. U6 M4 will be released soon, keep yourself for that, it's got a few nice improvements from M3!!

an evil avatar--that's more blashphemous than a priest dressing up as the devil.

Oh come on, you can't tell me that in all the years of playing Ultima, you never wanted to stick it to Lord British! :D

"Being evil is Fun !"

Oh, my ...

I frequently tried to kill the old dude and managed to succeed in U9, but that was only for fun; I never saved those events!! :)

You could kill him quite easily in U2 or U4 IIRC. Just run away. No one is on the throne after that. That was fixed later ;)

But still, I never thought a fork could be so dangerous.

AS for killing him in U9 or going up the dumbwaiter to find Mr Garriot...just think if they had put that time into fixing bugs. EA would have had to wait 4 months after that instead of 6 to make it playable.

Back
Top Bottom