Divinity: Original Sin II - Final Kickstarter Update

Was just about to write the same!

I hope the next game will be something new. Like a good official D&D game or WH40K or or or.

One can dream, but I seriously doubt that will happen. Nor do I think they'll abandon the JRPG bloated numbers or the Diablo loot mechanics.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the hell out of their next RPG in spite of that though. As long as it's moddable. ;)

I hope the next game will be something new. Like a good official D&D game or WH40K or or or.
Or continue the story from Divinity 2 and get back into 3D!

I admit I do prefer the RTwP style the most along with combat in a game like Skyrim and FO … which I know others don't like but I do *shrug*.

You're not alone there Wolfgrimdark. I don't like turn based combat either. In fact, I hated the combat so much in DOS1 that I never finished the game.

So I've stayed away from DOS2 because of how much I hated the combat in the first game (it's turned me off turn based games for life!). But I'm getting really desperate for something new to play, and I've heard this game can be modded.

So does anybody know if it's possible to mod the combat/weapons so that I can kill everything in one hit? If I can do that, and bypass that dreadful combat, then I think I might get this game after all.

Cause everything I read about the game sounds wonderful! I just can't get past that appalling combat system.

Exactly it has been many years since the ending cliffhanger.
That's the end to the original game. The expansion's ending has everyone happy as they are watched over by a certain cat that's rather handy with web pages.
@Tiptoe;, there might be a mod to make all the battles trivial. I did a quick search but didn't see anything. It could be my search-fu is too weak, though.

The older Divinity II game is live action plus it has more Bellegar, which is always a good thing. Here's part of a battle I fought.

Last edited:
You're not alone there Wolfgrimdark. I don't like turn based combat either. In fact, I hated the combat so much in DOS1 that I never finished the game.

So I've stayed away from DOS2 because of how much I hated the combat in the first game (it's turned me off turn based games for life!). But I'm getting really desperate for something new to play, and I've heard this game can be modded.

So does anybody know if it's possible to mod the combat/weapons so that I can kill everything in one hit? If I can do that, and bypass that dreadful combat, then I think I might get this game after all.

Cause everything I read about the game sounds wonderful! I just can't get past that appalling combat system.

I know they are adding a "story mode" to the Definitive edition, which might be what you're after. Also, there is this mod, which claims to provide an ultra easy explorer mode.

https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/17/?tab=description

That's the end to the original game. The expansion's ending has everyone happy as they are watched over by a certain cat that's rather handy with web pages.
Yeah forgot it was changed but you still don't fight Damien at all.

He is still out there.

Last edited:
I should have just quit and cooled off but I was so annoyed, and frustrated, I deleted the game and the saves.
If we're ever going to be a couple, please remind me to never break up with you.

I'm still waiting for a physical Definitive Edition for the PC.

I don't believe you will get a physical definitive edition for the pc. Certianly not as part of the kickstarter; but these days if they did sell a boxed pc version it would most likely just contain a manual, map and steam code.
--
Now if you don't have internet connection and want a disk version; you could try sending them mail and they might accommodate you in some fashion. They certainly did so in the early days - though these days i'm unsure if they would work with you. A lot has to do with who receives your message.

I downloaded it from steam. Keep in mind it's a whopping 26 more gigabytes in space compared to the old edition. That kinda sucks that its so much extra space, if you are like me and are already having low free hard drive space issues. My hard drive is jammed full now. (Too many games, and that take up too much hard drive space!)

I downloaded it from steam. Keep in mind it's a whopping 26 more gigabytes in space compared to the old edition. That kinda sucks that its so much extra space, if you are like me and are already having low free hard drive space issues. My hard drive is jammed full now. (Too many games, and that take up too much hard drive space!)
This happens because developers don't fully compress their games anymore. I'm not kidding we have gone from 10GB to 50GB & sometimes a lot more for new releases.

It's mostly textures, music, and movies especially with JRPG ports.
You already said it better then I could.

As the console versions are the only way to get a physical release. I know that sucks, but that's pretty normal for most PC games nowadays. Though exceptions happen.

Last edited:
Pretty much every game is using compressed assets. If you looked at a modern game in uncompressed form, it could take up terabytes. The assets can only be compressed with the standards that the hardware can deal with - textures have to be in compression formats that the GPU can deal with in real-time. Really heavy compression is extremely hardware intensive, and would have a major impact on the game.

Modern games just really are that big. I think it would be true to say that because disk space is not considered a big issue, not that much effort is put into addressing the problem. If it were, probably the industry would work together to improve things. For example, they pour a lot of effort into new video compression, to make big savings on bandwidth costs. But, there's not much individual studios can do to improve things without a big push towards new standards and hardware.

Pretty much every game is using compressed assets. If you looked at a modern game in uncompressed form, it could take up terabytes. The assets can only be compressed with the standards that the hardware can deal with - textures have to be in compression formats that the GPU can deal with in real-time. Really heavy compression is extremely hardware intensive, and would have a major impact on the game.

Modern games just really are that big. I think it would be true to say that because disk space is not considered a big issue, not that much effort is put into addressing the problem. If it were, probably the industry would work together to improve things. For example, they pour a lot of effort into new video compression, to make big savings on bandwidth costs. But, there's not much individual studios can do to improve things without a big push towards new standards and hardware.
PC Gamer has an article about this problem.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/how-game-sizes-got-so-huge-and-why-theyll-get-even-bigger/

It's only going to get worse also. Cant wait for the first game to take 1TB.

Yep, sounds about right.

Exactly it has been many years since the ending cliffhanger.

Gods damn it, now I want to restart for the...6th or 7th time is it? Is the story any good? I don't mind the spoilers.
I think I've always quit somewhere around 1st major area, clearing out trash mobs before dragon something something.

H.265 is much better than h.264. For a modern article that stardock guy is behind hte times. Having said that the bulk of the issue is texture. The comment about jpeg is also very lame (very poor article) since there are very good compression technique that are lossless or nearly lossless.

I suspect the problem is how to un-compress the exture fast enough to load them when needed. I don't know factually that this is the issue but certainly it would require that most pc have fairly fast hardware esp at the higher resolutions ('fast' here is more than just cpu as you need adequate disk bandwidth). I think a console built to handle the specifics could do a better job than general pc just because the variance in perf will create real issues for some users. Load time is already fairly slow for some users and I don't know if the bottleneck is poor implementation, disk time or similar. Maybe one of these days i'll dwell into the specifics.
-
There is a catch-22 in my commetns because if you heavily compress the textures the amount of diskspace and therefore disk iops are both reduced but you still need to counter-weigh that by the time to uncompress the textures real-time. Also for mechanical disks the bulk of the cost for modest size files is seek and not actual read. I havne't really looked into the issue so i can't comment on authority on the crossover between compression cost and iop cost to say too much in a reasonable fashion other than list the issues that would require close examination.

PC Gamer has an article about this problem.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/how-game-sizes-got-so-huge-and-why-theyll-get-even-bigger/

It's only going to get worse also. Cant wait for the first game to take 1TB.

Gods damn it, now I want to restart for the…6th or 7th time is it? Is the story any good? I don't mind the spoilers.
I think I've always quit somewhere around 1st major area, clearing out trash mobs before dragon something something.
The story's not bad but remember it's a different game from the new Original Sins. The only problem I had was once the toxic fog moved in the game fell in quality.

At least the expansion added more content, and redeemed the game. Anyways Larian Studios said they would make Divinity III someday, but it has been years.

Back
Top Bottom