10 worst stuff in games

most "RPG" players of today who follow the mind set of "I kill monsters, therefore I play a role".

That's the result of MMOs. I wish I could blame Diablo or jrpgs for it, but I can't.

Please no - not back to that ultra generic spell maker!
Would be better than the generic spells from Skyrim.:p At least there is Phenderix Magic Evolved mod that gives you 272 more spells with effects, and new visuals. You can actually feel like a mage at least.

Would be better than the generic spells from Skyrim.:p At least there is Phenderix Magic Evolved mod that gives you 272 more spells with effects, and new visuals. You can actually feel like a mage at least.

While Skyrim spells are kinda boring, I agree - they still represent far more meaningful variety than anything in the spell maker.

I think I had like 4-5 spells in Morrowind/Oblivion - and everything else was a tiny variety on those.

Incredibly boring.

While Skyrim spells are kinda boring, I agree - they still represent far more meaningful variety than anything in the spell maker.

I think I had like 4-5 spells in Morrowind/Oblivion - and everything else was a tiny variety on those.

Incredibly boring.

I just finished Nehrim and was reminded of this. So I can't counter this your right. Boring doesn't sum it good enough. Still Skyrim with the mod I mentioned is the better alternative.

There is also spell making altar mod for Skyrim, it's not standalone mod it's withing Winterhold rework mod(I forgot which one there are few of those) .

3. Cut Scenes You Can’t Skip

Cinematic breaks can be a powerful tool for developers when used right. They add story and flair that couldn’t be added with the player in control. However, as a gamer I should have the right to skip it if I want to. Especially if I am replaying the game for a second time and know exactly what’s going to happen in the cut scene even before it plays. This is a feature that can ruin the excitement of gaming and destroy any chances for replay value. I’m looking at you L.A. Noire.

This x10000000.

Major sin, made even more grievous if compounded by a shitty checkpoint-style save system that has you not only replaying entire areas, but enduring the same unskippable bullshit ad nauseum.

And for the record, I like all the mundane stuff. I consider it a plus.
Keep the wood mill in Skyrim, in fact there needs to be a paper mill and a bunch more manufacturing

Do you actually run into cutscenes you can't skip very often? I can't remember the last time I was really stuck with one. (I thought I was stuck with them in Last Remnant but they had simply used the pause-then-skip model instead of the just-hit-ESC model I was used to using.)

The checkpoint-only save systems though are a huge hate for me. When I want to quit, I want to quit right then not 15+ minutes later. And when I restart I want the game to be in exactly the same state as when I saved.

I'm not sure why I don't hate checkpoints more than I do. I used to hate them with a passion.

I have no intellectual or cerebral reason to like them - and I don't think they build tension much at all.

I find them to be a cop-out based mostly on console limitations - and some kind of insane archaic design tradition. It's one of the worst ways to artificially extend playtime and make your game a challenge.

In fact, the more I think about it - the more I'm realising that I actually DO hate them still - I've just suppressed that emotion because it seems we're not getting rid of checkpoints any time soon.

Thanks for reminding me ;)

I actually like checkpoint-only save systems in survival-horror games, but I hate them in any other kind of game and especially in RPGs.

One thing I dislike is the overuse of certain graphical effects, and especially if you can't toggle them on/off. It's one of the primary reasons that I rarely game on consoles.

In particular, I dislike motion blur, and that seems to be common in a lot of modern games. It adds nothing appealing visually imo, and it actually gives me a headache if used to a certain degree.

In fact, the more I think about it - the more I'm realising that I actually DO hate them still - I've just suppressed that emotion because it seems we're not getting rid of checkpoints any time soon.

I don't mind periodic saves as JDR mentions, but checkpoint systems I *do* hate and have hated for years because in the end they dictate narrative design. I remember XIII from 2003 and seeing how - again due to console limitations - they had to fold the game around limited loadable spaces, which in turn caused them to put in stupid limitations and areas ... again, phony tension that made little sense and therefore messed with the narrative development.

Do you actually run into cutscenes you can't skip very often? I can't remember the last time I was really stuck with one. (I thought I was stuck with them in Last Remnant but they had simply used the pause-then-skip model instead of the just-hit-ESC model I was used to using.)

Mass Effect 3, I believe....

I definitely agree on motion blur being a pain. Lens flare and depth of field, too, unless I'm actually supposed to be looking through a lens. Why graphics gurus are working so hard to make it look like we're playing the game through a cheap camera instead of with our own eyes I have no idea.

Mass Effect 3, I believe….
Hmmm, could be. I only played once and never tried to skip any.

Sorta obvious and hated to death but Bloom and overdone HDR are easily on the list alongside console FoV, blur and lens flare.

Since I haven't really played Skyrim, what the wood choping thing about? Is it like in the Gothics were the game simply allowed you to enter (into) animation loops created for the NPCs?

Yes Kostas, it tried to copy Gothic. Tried very hard.
Just like ME ending tried to copy the ending of NG Evangelion.
The audience saw through it. Not all, obviously, but "quite a few".

oh, one thing I do really really hate, and that happens in many jRPGs, is the final boss battles where the final boss has like 3 lives, with each life taking like 15 minutes to fight, so when the 3rd form kills you, there goes 30+ minutes of your life. Usually when this happens, I consider I finished the game and head to youtube to watch the ending.

Final boss battles seem to be getting easier and easier these days. It's their top lieutenant that's the real killer. The boss is more like a victory lap now; I presume because the game company wants you to feel good about your victory and leave you with warm fuzzies.

Regarding bloom - I can see what that's there. Unless you want to start weaving magnesium into the monitors, games just can't show extremely bright light so they put in bloom as a substitute. It's weak but it's better than having nothing but cloudy days whenever you're outside.

Back
Top Bottom