Sui Generis: Exanima - The Combat Mechanics

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Skallagrim checks out the combat mechanics of Sui Generis: Exanima:

The developers took quite a unique approach to armed combat mechanics in this game. The controls feel a little awkward at first and the characters seem to move clumsily, but after a while you figure it out and the fights become more smooth and strategic.

Just like in real historical martial arts the distance and timing are crucial, so instead of wild flailing you have to observe the opponent and decide whether to evade / parry and counter attack or attempt to interrupt their strike.

I haven't played it a whole lot yet but it definitely seems quite interesting so far. The game is still in Early Access but it has potential for sure and is already very much functional and enjoyable.
More information.

Bare Mettle Entertainment shot themselves in both knees when they decided to go with this physically simulated movement system. Since then they and the poor players are lamenting, why they can't move properly. Why are the characters constantly blown by an invisible 'wind' or pushed by a super-stupid 'Force of Stumblement' so they always look like the fighters are gonna topple in the next moment.. while fighting. Basics: simple walk and fight animations, most games seem to have no problem with implementing these.

Its as if in Chris Roberts Freelancer there would exist an incomprehensible phenomenon causing all playable ships to pull to the right and no matter what the devs do to fix the code, the ships are still pulling to the right and the players have to compensate constantly for this utterly incomprehensible movement system…

I simply don't get how anyone can call this "realistic". The devs have slightly improved the "everyone looks falling-over drunk" issue from the original KS pitch, but only to the point of "everyone looks unsteady-on-their-feet drunk". And despite Bare Mettle's extraordinarily ambitious promises of emergent narrative and gameworld reactivity, there's still zero evidence, after three years post-Kickstarter (and over a year after they promised the full game would be complete), that they can deliver an actual RPG rather than a clumsy combat system in an attractive engine.

This project is a disaster, at least when evaluated as a KS campaign. It set off warning bells even three years ago, and I'm so glad I cancelled my initial pledge.

damn. why did they prioritize combat/gameplay so much.
i was just hoping to walk through cool deserted worlds, and have a fight here and there, that could be won arcade mode, with a trick or smtg.
but no, they focus all their resources in this trash combat system i;m not even interested in.
if u wanna do smtg, simplify.
lock the target . have strafe buttons, and add mouse gestures. no rotations no confusion."auto aim"

Trouble is, getting a physically accurate simulation of combat that's playable is a really massive challenge. What was that well-funded game that was supposed to do the same for sword fighting, that folded badly?

The engine looks wonderfull, but I'm not still convinced about their combat system. It feels clumsy and not very precise. It could be "groundbreaking", but is it any fun ? Hopefully they continue improving it.

This is another game where someone may sue for their pledge back. This team hasn't proven able to meet the goals set in the kickstarter at all. If a civil suit gets started on behalf of the backers, these guys may be paying a lot of money back; even if the game never comes to light. I can see the lawyers salivating at the opportunity. Since I'm a backer, I may even look into it at some point.

I vaguely remember that one of the Devs moved very shortly after the campaign. If he spent pledge money for that, and didn't specifically say he was going to up front, boom.

I vaguely remember that one of the Devs moved very shortly after the campaign. If he spent pledge money for that, and didn't specifically say he was going to up front, boom.
Haha, what? :D

Sounds like the consensus is the game isn't dumbed down and simplified enough for the rpg watch critics.

I can see the lawyers salivating...Since I'm a backer, I may even look into it at some point.

How pathetic and very creepy of you. Boom bang get a life? So how much of the project do you feel you "own" mr big shot backer....? How's YOUR personal life? Vaguely fulfilling and meaningful?

I like ambitious games - but there's such a thing as overambition. That and too much ego are what this game smacks of to me.

That said, it's more of a gut reaction to a few developers quotes and the original feature list.

Who knows, miracles can happen - I guess :)

Gentlemen I don't know why you must be so negative but let me remind you of some words of wisdom "A Delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad"-Shigeru Miyamoto
Bare Mettle are a very dedicated developer who are focused on their vision and are quite perfectionistic, and always listen to they're player base. Naturally the game isn't for everyone and it is still early in its development life. Trust me when I say when it shall be finished it will be honored as a masterwork of gaming.
Bare Mettle know the meaning of "By Gamers, for gamers".
For right now I advise trying again, the controls are a bit "difficult"yes but once you learn how they work the game becomes very enjoyable.

Thank you and have a nice day.

So, instead of reacting based on what we see and hear, coupled with our previous experience with ambitious games that didn't quite deliver - we should trust a total stranger and accept it will be honored as a "masterwork of gaming"? ;)

Ok, sure.

I hope you're right.

I bought this game long ago - I always like new game mechanics, we'll see how the finished product turns out.

... and it is still early in its development life. ...

Three years down the line and still only a glorified tech demo, with an arguably wonky combat system and not a speck of the actual game in sight. How long is this development cycle supposed to last?

As one of the original backers of the game I to was eager to get my hands on the finished product as soon as possible, but I understand that good things take time. And in order to try something new and innovative will not be easy since people tend to have preconceived ideas and maybe high expectations, (the developer may also be optimistic when saying how soon a game will ship) constructive criticism is important to iron out bugs, and perfect the overall design and mechanics. Bare Mettle has said they listen to all advice and realize they have an uphill battle with the system they are pioneering, however once some hurdles are crossed and progress is made bigger steps can be taken.
In the early days of gaming titles were shipped with no input from the players during development, but the rules have not changed and overall people should show a bit of patience. Everyone is free to their own opinion, and everyone has fears naturally but as long as criticism is civil and well founded everything is fine.

Cheers all.

Three years down the line and still only a glorified tech demo, with an arguably wonky combat system and not a speck of the actual game in sight. How long is this development cycle supposed to last?

Please understand mate the design team is small and wish to do everything proper, the tech demo is there as a benchmark to test features going into the final game, while the world is being built behind the scene. True the developer was optimistic on the estimated final release but progress is being made at a steady pace.
Regardless several people play and enjoy the demo for what its worth, and in my honest opinion its a fun game ;)

I'm a backer as well.
My problem isn't about the combat system (in fact I've never tried it) but about hearing hardly anything about the rest of the game. I won't repeat what was announced in the KS campaign and what persuaded me to pledge.
Of course I still hope it turns out well.

Back
Top Bottom