Pillars of Eternity - Definitive Edition

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that the Definitive Edition of Pillars of Eternity will be released on November 15:

Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition arrives later this month, includes brand new items

Bundles the base game with previously released DLC.

Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition is coming out on November 15, developer Obsidian Entertainment has announced, and it looks to be a decent deal. For $39.99 you'll get the excellent isometric RPG plus both parts of its beefy expansion, The White March. At the moment, you can buy them combined for slightly cheaper, but that's a time limited deal on Fanatical (the renamed Bundle Stars) that runs out tomorrow.

Also, the Definitive Edition gets you all the extra goodies that were included in the Royal Edition of the game, which includes the original soundtrack, a digital collector's book and a novella set in the Pillars universe.

The edition will also feature some new DLC, called the Deadfire Pack, which is a reference to the upcoming Pillars sequel. It includes a few in-game items and portraits.
[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

From November 15 the recommended price of the base game will be cut from $44.99 to $29.99—although it's worth waiting for a lower price than that because the game is on sale semi-regularly

...pretty irresponsible gaming journalism right there. The game is an absolute steal at $30 as it is.

…pretty irresponsible gaming journalism right there. The game is an absolute steal at $30 as it is.

I agree the game is a steal at 30$, but I'd hardly claim the journalist is irresponsible for pointing out facts? Personally I backed the Kickstarter at 60$ or so, and it's been worth that and more which I wouldn't have claimed before my second run a couple of months ago.

If anyone has waited, now is a great time to purchase and play the game.

I wouldn't play PoE if it was handed to me for free, but let me know if they ever start offering an hourly rate. :)

I might give it a go if it was offered for free..that would be my idea of a real bargain for this game...:p

The game is pretty damn good in its current state; if you're a fan of BG/IWD, very much recommended. It's come a long way its bug-laden launch. Thinking about it makes me want to replay it actually - monks are an absolute blast.

I agree the game is a steal at 30$, but I'd hardly claim the journalist is irresponsible for pointing out facts? Personally I backed the Kickstarter at 60$ or so, and it's been worth that and more which I wouldn't have claimed before my second run a couple of months ago.

If anyone has waited, now is a great time to purchase and play the game.

My thoughts exactly ... what is irresponsible? Is the statement factually false? No, the game DOES go on sale frequently. Is the journalist advocating piracy? No. Is the journalist advocating something that circumvents the developer getting paid? No.

So no, not irresponsible.’

That said, I also agree that the game is a great value at $30.

Personally I'd recommend paying $40 and getting the full set. It definitely feels more satisfying and beefy with the White Marches DLC additions, and you get the full range of available companions.

I enjooyed white marches cause i'm a whack whack sort of player. I finished the game twice once before white marsh and once after. I actually enjoyed wasteland 2 quite a bit more - here much of the story got lost and what wasn't lost never really gelled. Kind of a waste I think but it did sell well if that matters. I doubt i'll play a third time but will probably fire up wasteland 2 in a few months.

I never did finish Wasteland 2 -- I kept losing interest in it after a while. It just seemed too goofy. Tastes vary, I guess. I do prefer a turn-based combat system like Wasteland 2, but enjoyed the characters and more serious tone of PoE a little more.

I just could not get into this game. Bought it full price, both expansions. Tried several characters, did 3 real attempts at getting through it. So much heart here, so much wasted opportunity.

I finished it once fairly soon after release (after first few patches fixed biggest bugs but before they started making bigger balance changes), took 120h to do everything and explore everything. After that I could not make myself play again and I never bought White March (I probably will at some point when it is 75% off). Gameplay was passable but not as good as BG. Story was average to bad, and conversations were shit like in Wasteland 2. Both games suffer from word overload.

I never finished Wasteland 2. It was turn based but too much corridor combat for a slower turn based game. Also everything was ugly and areas were not very interesting.

I like Tyranny more than both games. Combat is more fun than WL2 and simpler but less clusterfuck than POE. Story and C&C is way better than both games.

Shadowrun Dragonfall makes PoE and WL2 look like a joke and it is noticeably better than Tyranny.

I couldn't finish the game, don't think I will ever play it again. Would love to give away my Steam copy for free if I can. Sigh.

Shadowrun Dragonfall makes PoE and WL2 look like a joke.

It's also probably 10% of the size of PoE or WL2.

It's apples and oranges. Most developers have to make some sacrifices when they increase the scale significantly.

It's also probably 10% of the size of PoE or WL2.

It's apples and oranges. Most developers have to make some sacrifices when they increase the scale significantly.
WL2 is larger for sure but PoE? If you remove most of the c/p terrible combat encounters and don't count expansion I would say it is about similar.
Unlike PoE, Dragonfall has only unique content in it.

Last edited:
Been waiting for a bundled release. I'll pick this up as some stage in the future. The mixed reception I see everywhere makes me think on sale.

You are clueless my man.

Nah, you and others just have to realize there are different types of RPGs and not all of them are going for the same thing.

If Shadowrun wants to make a giant open-world like WL2, then it's going to be a much different experience. If you think they can maintain that super tight experience while making the game 200%-500% larger, you are sadly mistaken my friend. I have literally the entirety of past gaming as evidence.

A pie can only be cut so many ways. When you increase size you make sacrifices. And some people want bigger games even if they have to do that. Apples and oranges.

You can't even compare the size of Dragonfall to the other 2 games.

Shadowrun Dragonfall -
Main Story
20½ Hours
Main + Extras
22 Hours
Completionist
26 Hours
All Styles
22 Hours

Wasteland 2 -
Main Story
37½ Hours
Main + Extras
65½ Hours
Completionist
103 Hours
All Styles
65½ Hours

Pillars of Eternity -
Main Story
36½ Hours
Main + Extras
58½ Hours
Completionist
87½ Hours
All Styles
58½ Hours

In b4 anyone mentions "quality over quantity" when you're trying to compare apples and oranges in game design and developer philosophy. No, some people don't want Skyrim to be a 30 hour linear RPG with tons of choice & consequence, just like you wouldn't want Shadowrun to be some 100+ epic sandbox. And so on.

Sometimes you want a nice buffet, sometimes a tightly served gourmet meal. Apples and oranges. I'm sure you get the point.

Last edited:
WL2 is larger for sure but PoE? If you remove most of the c/p terrible combat encounters and don't count expansion I would say it is about similar.
Unlike PoE, Dragonfall has only unique content in it.

You mean the Cookie cutter interiors? Or the stock footage Mobs? Or the 10 different character Portraits? Or the whole Interface and Inventory stuff that was lifted from "Shadowrun Returns - DMS?

Sure, this was "unique" Content....

Not to be misunderstood - SR:DF is a good game. More of a module, though. Short and terribly balanced, but very interesting to Play.

Back
Top Bottom