If you had been considering an XBox One, now is the time to change your mind.

Drithius

Magic & Loss
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22812743

• The company has now said in a statement that games can be traded in, but only at "participating retailers".
  • Games can be freely passed on to friends, Microsoft added, but only once, and only to people who have been on your friends list for thirty days.
  • And, lastly but certainly not least, you must connect to the internet once every 24 hours - no offline gaming allowed otherwise.

• The company has now said in a statement that games can be traded in, but only at "participating retailers".
  • Games can be freely passed on to friends, Microsoft added, but only once, and only to people who have been on your friends list for thirty days.
  • And, lastly but certainly not least, you must connect to the internet once every 24 hours - no offline gaming allowed otherwise.
I'm not and the official statement just makes me not want to either. Still millions will buy it for the games that are exclusive only to the system. Just wait and see.

The PS4 has similar restrictions but leaves it up to developers and publishers. I hate this trend of making games services. Thank you Steam for pioneering this and showing it's possible.

Also a little shout out to EA, and Blizzard as they also paved the way.

their clarifications on the concerns only make it more confusing. MS is using doublespeak to say they enabling the publishers to allow for games to be traded, ie. they will allow the prevention of the reselling of games.

What happened to the good ol' heavy handedness of MS when it was their way or the highway like good ol' IBM taught them. It doesn't sound like they would be hurting for software devs so why kowtow to them?

Where/when did you hear that? I haven't seen anything to indicate that Sony is doing those things with the PS4.

Sony already stated online DRM would be up to the publisher and developer this is not new news. It's not as bad as Microsoft but it's still there. Just used differently.

At least they wont require a 24hr check either.

Link-http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/sony-wont-answer-these-questions-about-ps4-drm-and-used-games-yet/

"At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.) Apologies for missing that during our attempts to clarify just how similar or dissimilar Sony's next-gen policies are from Microsoft's."

Last edited:
That's still more freedom than us pc games get. I'd love to be able to give my steam or origin games to even one other person when I was done with it.

And trading in pc games died long ago.

Last edited:
pc games died long ago.

Yes I've misquoted this on purpose of trolling. :D

I don't think that the "online DRM" will affect sales at all. Instead of raging onto Sony, Microsoft or whomever, ppl will start blaming on their internet provider if and when they're temporarily disconnected.

Yes I've misquoted this on purpose of trolling. :D

It was starting to feel that way, until all the kickstarters came along.

I don't think that the "online DRM" will affect sales at all. Instead of raging onto Sony, Microsoft or whomever, ppl will start blaming on their internet provider if and when they're temporarily disconnected.

And trading in pc games died long ago.

At least we get way more cheaper games than consoles. What with all the sales and different digital stores.
I doubt Xbox one will have similar prices to that. Heck, if the new consoles actually get similarly priced games, I may consider trying out console gaming.
As things stand now for me, it's cheaper to stick to PC.

At least we get way more cheaper games than consoles. What with all the sales and different digital stores.

That's true, I never traded my boxed games anyway, liked to collect them.

I doubt Xbox one will have similar prices to that. Heck, if the new consoles actually get similarly priced games, I may consider trying out console gaming.
As things stand now for me, it's cheaper to stick to PC.

I don't think consoles will match the prices steam uses overall but i'm guessing they will have good deals on specific titles.

My brother has a PS3 and says he gets free games every month with playstation plus. Recently he said he got boarderlands 2. He hasn't bought a game in a while he just plays whatever is free.

I couldn't do that personally and I wouldn't go to consoles even if every game was free, but for the less serious gamers it sounds like a good deal.

Reselling games is BS anyway. If it's not a game you want to keep don't buy it. Things would change very fast then.

The question I suddenly asked myself after reading the comments here is :

Do Indies want it that way, too ?

I wonder if the restrictions on trading games is legal in all countries. Then again it is not as if Microsoft never has done anything illegal.

I have a 10 and a 12 year boy and will be getting them a PS4...

As for myself I could careless about Xbox or PS, until I can not get RPG games for my PC any more.

There is already a handful of indie developers signing up for the PS4. Sony allows them to self-publish hence the attraction.

I wonder if the restrictions on trading games is legal in all countries. Then again it is not as if Microsoft never has done anything illegal.

Actually, I seem to remember some European country saying something to that effect. My memories are too vague though.

I was never in the market for a xb1. As soon as I heard about the always on scam, I knew it was a fraud. I don't buy anything requiring a constant internet connection, nor anything filled with viruses. That eliminates the big publishers neatly.

First Win8, now xbox … I'm a bit worried about those wrong decisions going round at Microsoft now.

YBOX ?

The whole DRM stuff leaves me pretty cold to be honest… BUT the by far most appalling issue with regard to the Xbox One for me personally is the fact that Microsoft has announced that they will be investing one billion dollars in XBox One games.

You know, the same company that has all but abandoned PC gaming, even though they should have a substantial interest in investing in that platform as well, has plans to invest US$1,000,000,000+ in XBox One games. And in conjunction with that press release they have the nerve to say that core games are always important.

Oh yeah? If core games are so important then why'd they shut down their PC devs (Aces and Ensemble Studios) and continued franchises such as MS Flight Simulator and Age of Empires as totally non-core casualized trash crap online-only games?

What's next? Some kind of dick move that will make it impossible for us PC gamers to play crowdfunded PC games on our PCs?
I haven't been a big MS hater in the past and I've never really minded some of their controversial business decisions all that much but if they outright kill PC gaming then I'm personally carrying the torch to Redmond that will put an end at least to Microsoft's physical existence (of course when no people are inside the building) :biggrin: .

Reselling games is BS anyway. If it's not a game you want to keep don't buy it. Things would change very fast then.

Sorry bro, but that's one of the silliest comments I've seen in awhile. There are multiple reasons why someone might want to sell a game, and they should have the right to do so if they wish.

Sorry bro, but that's one of the silliest comments I've seen in awhile. There are multiple reasons why someone might want to sell a game, and they should have the right to do so if they wish.

How about Reason:

1) The game was nothing like you thought it would and you hated it.
2) You finished in a couple of days and not one of the ones you care to play through again.
3) DA2(need I say more)
4) Why not trade in a few games that you are not playing any more to get a new game
5) Some people can not afford all the new games and this is a great way for them to buy and play games.
6) I was your money that bought that dam thing and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Sell it give it away burn it....

Back
Top Bottom