Cyberpunk - Interviews @ VentureBeat, GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt Red's co-founder Marcin Iwinski has been quizzed at a couple of sites about Cyberpunk. Here's a snip from VentureBeat's article:
GamesBeat: During the press conference, you said you wanted to create “an outstanding new standard in the futuristic RPG genre.” That’s a pretty lofty ambition. How are you guys going to accomplish that?
Iwinski: I think we’ve created some new standards in terms of storytelling in the RPG genre, in terms of having no compromise in the way the story is being told, how we shape the world, how believable the characters are, how similar it is to what we see around us. We are really looking at totally new ideas on telling a story and involving the gamer in it. I think we’re looking at what the critics were saying and what the fans were saying. I think we’ve delivered something totally new.
Second, we don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters. They should actually look better. The story’s always the thing, because that’s the thing which keeps you playing, but these days — and especially in the next generation when you have the new consoles, when you have the new HDTVs — you’re going to want bells and whistles on the graphical side, and we want to deliver on that as well.
There's also a video interview from GameSpot.
More information.

I suspect it may prove more difficult to make RPGs look good because of the uncanny valley effect. Shooters usually don't need to slow down and show facial expressions (except for cut scenes).

Back
Top Bottom