The Banner Saga - Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Stoic announces that The Banner Saga in now available for purchase.

YOUR JOURNEY BEGINS: THE BANNER SAGA LAUNCHES TODAY ON PC AND MAC

AUSTIN, TX - January, 14th 2014 – Stoic, an independent game development company and Versus Evil, an independent game publisher, will today officially release the highly anticipated RPG strategy game, The Banner Saga on PC and Mac at 19.00 GMT / 20.00 CET. The game, a huge funding success on Kickstarter, was recently announced as an IGF (Independent Games Festival) finalist for Excellence in Visual Arts, with honorable mentions for Excellence in Audio and Design. To mark the occasion, a launch trailer has also been released on the official YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIH0vS9AG4.

The Banner Saga is a single player driven Viking saga, where a player’s choice in travel, conversation and combat determines the outcome of their own personal story as well as the survival of an entire civilization. The game also features stunning 2D animation and art, a unique tactical combat system, and a cast of unforgettable characters that drive this epic journey forward. Players will also enjoy a beautiful and haunting original score by Grammy nominated, and two-time BAFTA winner, composer Austin Wintory conducting The Dallas Winds orchestra, as well as a powerhouse trio of acclaimed YouTube sensations: Peter Hollens, Malukah and Taylor Davis.

The Banner Saga is available now for €22.99/£18.99 through Steam, UPlay, GameFly, GameStop and Gamers Gate for PC and Mac. A digital Deluxe Edition is also available through select retailers for €27.99/£22.99 and includes the game and complete soundtrack.
More information.

Last edited:
It seems they have released the game only for Steam yet. We have to wait for DRM-free version.

I've been playing for some hours now (had a code for a preview :) ) and I have to say I'm very impressed since the preview. It's like "playing" a nice fantasy book with wonderful aesthetics, amazing music and good voice acting. The writing is down to earth, very enjoyable and the combat is simple but challenging. Not a traditional RPG at all though.

A great game and it makes the waiting for Original Sin easier.

I'm enjoying it for sure. Love the writing and art. Combat is much easier than the MP aspect but that's to be expected. I'm sure a lot of people will be turned off by lack of exploration and linear nature though.

I am still in the very first steps but I have to say that I am a little disappointed so far.
The interface in combat could have been better. e.g. you cannot tell who you selected when you turned on the banners, so you have to switch again if you want other information, doesn't feel "fluent".
The music is played badly, long passages where you hear next to nothing.
The dialogues seem rather confusing with its back and fourth with the pictures and they arent exactly atmospheric.

Backed this on Kickstarter. Those of you who didn't think about this. If everyone waited for a "Steam sale" like you, there would be no Banner Saga. Hell, no Wasteland, Torment 2, Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun Returns etc etc probably no M&M X.

Luckily the tier I backed at gives me the entire (yet to be released) trilogy at a super low price.
Score ;)

Backed this on Kickstarter. Those of you who didn't think about this. If everyone waited for a "Steam sale" like you, there would be no Banner Saga. Hell, no Wasteland, Torment 2, Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun Returns etc etc probably no M&M X.

Luckily the tier I backed at gives me the entire (yet to be released) trilogy at a super low price.
Score ;)

Not everyone knew it when it was a KS. Not everyone knew it before it was released. I'm one of those not everyone ;) Now considering my rather large wishlist and a pretty bleak economy I feel those comments are a little uncalled for.

Not everyone knew it when it was a KS. Not everyone knew it before it was released. I'm one of those not everyone ;) Now considering my rather large wishlist and a pretty bleak economy I feel those comments are a little uncalled for.

Agreed. Pay what you feel it's worth to you, and let nobody tell you different.

I played it and I am on chapter 2, so far writing good but I am not thrilled about gameplay, arenas are small and all same(no obstructions), it's not bad it's fun enough but I liked combat in Expeditions lot more.

Last edited:
I played it and I am on chapter 2, so far writing good but I am not thrilled about gameplay, arenas are small and all same(no obstructions), it's not bad it's fun enough but I liked combat in Expeditions lot more.

I agree, while not a bad game, it certainly is not as good as Expeditions.
The fights are samey. I do like the Shield/Strength mechanism and I think it fits very well with the theme too.

The writing is nothing compared to Expeditions either though.

The "random" events are quite good and fun though.

I don't really get how the wars work though. I basically always charge because apparently that's the best way to save lives.

In theory, your choice for the wars influences both the difficulty of the enemies you face and the casualties sustained. I've gone with charge all but one time, and I think (but don't quote me) that the enemies given that one time were quite a bit easier (ie less of those Big shield/heavy damage summoners). Just 1 or 2 of those and the general fodder troops if memory serves.

I've played it for about three hours so far. I'm really enjoying the game. The music is beautiful (no surprises there with Austin Wintory composing).

I thought the story really picked up when it switched which character you were following for the first time. The combat can get a little bit samey though, particularly the Varl sequences.

I've played it for about three hours so far. I'm really enjoying the game. The music is beautiful (no surprises there with Austin Wintory composing).

Yes music is good and graphic is beautiful too.

But even tho it got better lot scores and more attention I don't think Banner saga is as good as Expeditions, game I think it's most similar to.

Does it have some Japanese influences or does all stylized animation look like anime to me?

Does it have some Japanese influences or does all stylized animation look like anime to me?

Looks nothing like an animé. If anything it reminds me of american cartoons from the 70's and 80's, really dig the art style, not my type of game though.

Yes music is good and graphic is beautiful too.

But even tho it got better lot scores and more attention I don't think Banner saga is as good as Expeditions, game I think it's most similar to.

That's fair. I have been a bit disappointed by how little there is to do there in the caravan/camp sequences. Hopefully they flesh it out in the sequel.

I only put about 5 hours into Expeditions (been meaning to go back). I really liked the freedom, camp management and combat but I found a lot of their visual choices, like the really zoomed in camera difficult to play with.

Back
Top Bottom