Skyrim Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
There are easier ways to justify piracy to oneself than nonsensical hatred of one companies means of digital distribution. Particularly since it's Steam which has many benefits to it, most of them documented in this very thread. Then you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Also, I own Skyrim on Steam. I can play offline, any time. Nobody is watching what I do when I play, other than the achievement tracker and I doubt anyone gives a shit about that. Also, when an update is released- I'll get it automatically and not have to worry about scrounging around torrent sites and shady filehosts for the scene cracked update, whenever they get around to releasing it.

As a pirate I got a better user experience than I would have had if I bought the game.
I could play it offline at anytime without activation, hassle free without providing gaben with data about my playthroughs. I didn't need to install anything beyond the game and didn't pay a cent.

As a consumer I have no reason to buy the game instead of downloading it illegally. Instead of punishing customers I believe companies should reward buyers. How is that stupid?

You only need to verify the game once online, after that you can run steam in offline mode to play the game, that is what I did with this game and Deus Ex - Human Revolution.

As far as I can tell, you are just making excuses for pirating *shrug*

About Steam
I have used Steam since 2005

Steam is a Third Party Program, which is used for many games, and has became a very big third party game seller over the years, recently supporting Free 2 Play games.

Steam is required for certain games such as Red Faction Armageddon, Brink, and possibly others including Skyrim.

*Steam DRM does suck*

In other words, there is a program out there called Phoenix, I really do not want to go into any details about cracking, or malcious software, but any game that comes from steam is more than likely found on TPB, or you can simply go to google and search for a crack, or steam bypass and find what I did to crack any game which works for any steam game, and doesn't require an account.

However there really isn't a reason why you shouldn't trust steam, as I have used steam myself for many years, and never had a problem with it, the only thing that ever concerns me is if I get caught being a cheater by VAC, my account actually gets compromised, or something of the such, and I loose access to my games which I have legally purchased a lot of games through steam, and could loose access to a lot of software titles I own licenses to, however if you do not accept the EULA most stores will allow you to return your copy of the software, or contact the game company and request a refund from them.

The most malicious software I have found through Steam is a program called Punk Buster which was installed on my system without my express consent through a game called All Points Bulletin that I purchased which was run by Real Time worlds back in the day before Gamers First purchased lincense rights and the game and made it free 2 play. I was never shown any agreement or EULA prior to its install, and therefore they installed spyware on my PC, this was not Steam's fault but they still should have delisted the game and posted a warning there as the game company add this to their launcher as an updater service, and I consider punk buster to possibly be able to be used to harm a users computer for example I believe that it could be used to steal senstive information which is the reason why I disable PB every single time I am not playing a game, or when I do not trust it, but that is another thing.

Steam Itself in my opinion can be trusted, but it is up to the user of such if they want to accept the agreement, to me honestly NO agreement through the internet means crap, You can easily Hide, forge spoof your MAC address, and IP get around bans for any game really, change out hardware if you know what you are doing, and while a digital agreement may mean something in the software industry to me it means nothing unless signed and agreed on by me in real life, and the only time I ever look at an agreement is if I have a serious issue with a game company, or an issue which has only happend to me in three isntances before which two of those companies went out of business, and the other one I got my account back and everything after a debate with the company.

Although I would just sugguest installing Skyrim, and Enjoy the game, as it just requires steam for the DRM, although you do have the option to crack the game or modify the files as it is a single player game, given the fact that you are not going to give it to others to illegally pirate, or use I do not see why there would be an issue, as long as you have a legit copy of the software, and key registered to your steam.

**Opinions**

If you ask me about piracy, I really couldn't care I support Cracking, Modifying, and what Hotz did for the Ps3, In other words sony got slapped and paid back for what they did, no one ever signed an agreement saying they couldn't mod their PS3 for example, but they tried to sue him, used their money and legal power for disclosure of IP addresses, and brought harm to Thousands of customers who did nothing all simply because of a PS3 mod which harmed no one.

I believe that All Software, Cellphones, and devices sold in the U.S should not have stupid agreements, or Be Locked to certain providers, why? Because if I purchase a Phone from a certain provider, and then switch, I have to throw away that phone or resell it, waste of naturual resources, and Software I shouldn't have a problem using software I legally purchased for example a game tied to one steam account, or a friend died RL and wants to give me his software he owns that should be totally legal, but some software companies say you can't transfer this license, and I believe that a user should be able to do what they want with their own software/hardware after they buy it for PERSONAL use, as long as it doesn't make illegal copies, and if they want to give it to a friend, or give their MMORPG account away to someone it should be legal to do.

If it were me, and I had the power to make changes I would make these changes and laws I would make these changes so that Blocked Phones, Strict rules about what a person can do with stuff they own even software has to be made so the license can be transfered at any time to a friend, and all MMORPG accounts would have to follow such or it wouldn't be allowed to be hosted in the U.S.

I don't support piracy, and I have and will always support software developers, but I will not support Greed, or Lame digital agrements that say we can change this at any time, and the most they will more than likely do is Ban my account the most they can or will do.

Also Software DMCA Claims I hear and understand about are a Civil Court issue, not a actual crime.

** Note **

As far as the comments I made above it is my Opinion and the only thing that I really follow is the Law, and our U.S Constitution, other than that I really don't care about these so called software agreements, and for actual legal advice I would sugguest contacting a lawyer.

*** As For Steam.***

Once you register an account on Steam you have to launch and use the product through steam, and keep hold of the account, NEVER share your account with anyone not even your friend, your brother, any other family have them create their own seperate accounts.

You can then.

1. Download the game through steam should you loose your CD key it will be avalable for download through steam.

2. You will get automatic updates, and can purchase DLC from the steam store.

3. You can install it from the CD of course, but no need can just install it from steam once it is registered whatever game it is.

4. Steam Achivements you actually get to see them.

5. I would just say honestly in my opinion give steam a chance.

You don't have to buy a lot of games to have or use steam, but just download it, give it a try, I once myself did not like steam because it slowed down my PC, and this was when steam first came out, but since I updated to a system with 8GB+ Gigs of ram I have no issue running steam, no lag, all my games stay updated, Never had any problems on my account, and it is great.

**OFF Topic**

** If you are afraid of **

1. Collection of IP/MAC Addresses, these are easily changed hardware by changing a network card, or spoofing the information, also if you are like me you can simply call your ISP and get a new modem, or buy a new modem/rotuer at any time have them switch it, but thats a perk I have and know, so the most they use it for is tracking when you accessed the account incase it gets hacked and or bans.

2. If you are afraid of datamine like this, know that any software program can data mine a user including but not limited to Norton McAfee, or any antivirus, or program you install and give full access to your system to protect you.

3. Also know that simply by clicking a Link I could post here, I could use a VPS server to obtain your IP address, Operating System, Browser, and possibly even run a geolocate, and anyone can do that by simply clicking a link, being redirected from one site to another fact is you would never know, but I know this becuase I know some people who did it, and I have the scripts on a VPS server to do it which can then relay the information to any account I choose or email it to a user or email account.

4. It is good that you are being aware of what you do, what you sign up for and such, but the internet and the security of the internet can be compromised, modified, or a persons information can get disclosed by many ways simply by clicking of a link, although most companies like Steam and such would not use your information for anything illegal either.

5. Other ways to protect yourself -OFF Topic-.

1. Check your Credit Report yearly for fraud.
2. Use a Good Anti Virus, Anti Root Kit, Malaware, know your PC where its sending its data, terminate connections you do not trust, aka get a packet watcher, or sniffer to monitor all network traffic.
3. Use debit cards online, Make sure it has a 0 Fraud Liability incase should your card ever get hacked or compromised by someone.
4. Use PayPal, never give your information directly to RPG Gold Sellers aka chineese farmers.
5. By just plugging in your pc to the internet, you are pretty much giving a person with experience the right to hack your computer, while it is illegal, it is a unwritten rule should I say, also the other thing is installing software, or programs or stupidly damage your own PC, I have doen this once before to myself, but fixed it myself as well, lets just say I knew the risks, but now I test software on Virtual Box.
6. Do not poke the Bear, aka White-Hat, or hacker with more experience to you, and do not challenge people, or you might get served take Hotz, and Sony as an example.
7. Know the Rules of the Internet.
8. Do not mess with the wrong people take HB Gary as an example, Look at Sony, and look at Operation Occupy Wallstreet if you are into politics some people are still confused about it all saying WHO is leading it LOL? Well Im into politics and all this stuff constantly looking into what I can and enjoying games as well as covering and watching my back.
9. Should I actually get a virus, or my PC get messed up I got all my Data Backed up safe, but I can say that Steam has never given me a problem and I have used it since 2005.

** As far as Developers Stopping Piracy**

Simple Answer Developers, make Elder Scrolls, and all popular games a MMO Game, require that all the data be stored outside the server on a Public Server such as a Elder Scrolls MMORPG, with CoOP option, would be great, this would prevent piracy, although its either Piracy, or the cost for the servers and free access although it is possible and while people could possibly illegally run a crack or emulated version im sure they would miss out on a lot of updates, and such, although I can say from experience that People who support the game will actually pay for a legit copy and support it, I really want to see Elder Scrolls 6 myself, so I am supporting it, I would even love to see Elder Scrolls as a MMORPG Title one day and a great one constantly changing and updated for CoOP like Guild Wars would be awesome.

Piracy will always be around, but all this causes is problems for people who want to just run a Single Game for example you buy Elder Scrolls you just want to play that game not have to install Steam, I can support that for those that want that.

Awesome essay. Made me reconsider some of my irrational steam hate.
Tomorrow if I can't get the crack to work, I will install steam and play Skyrim without grudge.

My biggest gripe with steam is that it's always mandatory and used as a means to control the customers. What if I simply do not want to use steam? That means I won't buy the game because there isn't an option to play the game without it (not resorting to piracy that is).
If there's more than a disc-check and a serial key I won't buy it.

I know that using steam is beneficial for devs, but let's not pretend that it is meant to provide a better experience for customers since they would have made it optional in that case.

Steam stopped me from buying New Vegas. I wanted to support obsidian, but not steam. Which meant I didn't buy the game, instead I pirated it.
As a pirate I got a better user experience than I would have had if I bought the game.
I could play it offline at anytime without activation, hassle free without providing gaben with data about my playthroughs. I didn't need to install anything beyond the game and didn't pay a cent.

As a consumer I have no reason to buy the game instead of downloading it illegally. Instead of punishing customers I believe companies should reward buyers. How is that stupid?

If you buy the game somewhere other than Steam it does not support Steam in any way, only Bethesda and Obsidian and the store you bought it at. Steamworks is free to developers and Valve only get a cut of actual Steam sales.

So you should have bought the game elsewhere, then played the pirated version. I have no issue with supporting the game and then cracking it or pirating it for a better game experience or to backup your purchase. Outright piracy because you don't like Steam though? That's just being an entitled brat, honestly. Even if it was a case of not wanting to support the game at all, like me and Diablo 3, then you can just not buy AND not play it. You're not entitled to play the game no matter what.

My biggest gripe with steam is that it's always mandatory and used as a means to control the customers. What if I simply do not want to use steam? That means I won't buy the game because there isn't an option to play the game without it (not resorting to piracy that is).
If there's more than a disc-check and a serial key I won't buy it.

I know that using steam is beneficial for devs, but let's not pretend that it is meant to provide a better experience for customers since they would have made it optional in that case.

Steam stopped me from buying New Vegas. I wanted to support obsidian, but not steam. Which meant I didn't buy the game, instead I pirated it.

The game having Steam is no excuse for piracy since you can do what I do and buy the game from a store and then download a crack. You don't even have to download the actual game since the cracks are out there separate from the pirated versions of the games.

You probably know: After installation you can run it without Steam by starting tesv.exe.

If you buy the game somewhere other than Steam it does not support Steam in any way, only Bethesda and Obsidian and the store you bought it at. Steamworks is free to developers and Valve only get a cut of actual Steam sales.

So you should have bought the game elsewhere, then played the pirated version. I have no issue with supporting the game and then cracking it or pirating it for a better game experience or to backup your purchase. Outright piracy because you don't like Steam though? That's just being an entitled brat, honestly. Even if it was a case of not wanting to support the game at all, like me and Diablo 3, then you can just not buy AND not play it. You're not entitled to play the game no matter what.

well said, DoctorNarrative. Piracy pisses me off.

When Morrowind first came out it could be simply run even if you didn't own an internet connection. Oblivion was the same and seeing as how its a single person game I can't see why it would need to have internet connection. Skyrim and fallout vegas both need internet connection through steam but there is still no multiplayer, so its just adding resources you're computer has to handle. On the question of piracy. How does punishing valid users justify anything but the companies interests. I know there are pirates out there and yes they supposedly cut in to profits but don't they also advertise freely and would they buy the game if it wasn't able to be pirated. I first began to despise steam when i brought f.e.a.r. 2 and it needed to download a 1gig patch on my mobile internet connection before I could play it. This took a couple of days to complete and by that time my weekend was over and I had to go back to work.

For anyone wanting to run skyrim without steam. It was possible until steam decided to update it by running tesv.exe. seems they have now infected that to. What does this mean. It means that the tesV.exe cannot be edited in any way, which in turn means that we won't be able to make a tool like the oblivion script extender for skyrim as steam exe's can't legally be tampered with.

steam is free to developers because it costs the people who buy the games with it. It doesn't cost directly. It costs because steam gets free advertisement statistics. Every time you play it counts how often you play and what you're doing in the game. This may seem like a great idea (after all game developers need to know how we use the game) its not. Its making there job way to easy and making all the games the same. They know what we like and play so they build a game for that sort of usage. When morrowind first came out it was new. It wasn't built from pre-read statistics of games already played because most games were linear.

Anyway i've ranted enough. I don't like using steam so why have they infected tesV.exe:mad:

Anyway i've ranted enough. I don't like using steam so why have they infected tesV.exe:mad:

If you were circumventing Steam anyway then why would you have got the update? I was playing with Steam off through the exe and obviously can still do so. Until they release a real patch or DLC I will continue to do so, and even then I have the exe backed up in case it still works.

As for why Steam can get away with such things... because people accept it. End of story.

If you were circumventing Steam anyway then why would you have got the update? I was playing with Steam off through the exe and obviously can still do so. Until they release a real patch or DLC I will continue to do so, and even then I have the exe backed up in case it still works.

As for why Steam can get away with such things… because people accept it. End of story.

I didn't update it. I had steam in offline mode. Only ran the game through tesV.exe. But steam somehow managed to update it. Guess i'll have to re-install it now but steam will probably try to update it when i install it again.

Do you really think writing incoherent gibberish will help anyone take you seriously?

I didn't update it. I had steam in offline mode. Only ran the game through tesV.exe. But steam somehow managed to update it. Guess i'll have to re-install it now but steam will probably try to update it when i install it again.

Re-installed but same issue. Uninstalling it now and not playing it. Guess its another game I'll have to take off my list of games to play. Shame i've been supporting the elder scrolls series for a long time now but knowing i've got some creepy crawly looking over my shoulder just takes the fun out of it.

So you want to keep using Steam but not playing Skyrim?

So you want to keep using Steam but not playing Skyrim?

No, but i'd have to install it in order to get the game out of it, I've looked into in and there is no option. That means that I can't take it back. Waste of money. Probably my fault. I should have looked to see if it had steam on it in the first place.

On another note. You can't enable large address aware with the steam copy.

Why would you have Steam on if you can't stand having Steam on enough to return the game? Your posts make no sense.

Skyrim and fallout vegas both need internet connection through steam but there is still no multiplayer, so its just adding resources you're computer has to handle.
Negligible resources that your computer will have spare because Skyrim doesn't need more than a couple of cores and gigs of RAM. :p (Skyrim's so light on resources and stable with task flipping that I routinely keep everything open in the background and alt-tab around).
On the question of piracy. How does punishing valid users justify anything but the companies interests. I know there are pirates out there and yes they supposedly cut in to profits but don't they also advertise freely and would they buy the game if it wasn't able to be pirated.
If only something like 4% of people pirating a game buy it, the revenue would double. So even if DRM doesn't affect 96% of pirates, it'd still be worth it.

Presumably because it was part of their agreement in getting Steam services from Valve (advertising, server bandwidth, content delivery platform etc.).

Back
Top Bottom