Frayed Knights - Changes In Version 1.07

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Rampant Coyote is back with another post for his RPG game Frayed Knights where he talks about the changes he made in the upcoming new patch.

Over the course of the week, I made some changes to Frayed Knights: The Skull of S’makh-Daon that go beyond adding Steam achievements. This will be version 1.07, and will be made available for non-Steam versions soon.

The changes are small, but (IMO) significant:

* Change to the Search skill. When there is a hidden treasure within range of the skill, you will get a message to that effect even on a failed check – just no indication of range. There is no change to searching for traps.

* Weapons with spell effects on impact (for example, the Spear of Concussion and the Axe of Fiery Microdoom) now may cost additional stamina when the spell effect lands. These are generally pretty low-level spells so the endurance cost isn’t major, but it does help balance out the otherwise quite impressive effects of these weapons.

* The Endurance cost modifier for the Demotivate spell has been increased from 3 to 4.

* Fixed a bug when attempting to cast directly from a scroll onto a friendly party member – the casting dialog would sometimes have scrambled information.

* Some minor dialog changes, mainly for typos.

I suspect that the change to search will be the most well-received, with the average response being something to the effect of, “It’s about time!
More information.

Really looking forward to seeing Frayed Knights up on Steam, gratz!

Oh man if I would have know there was going to be a patch, would have sent in a request to make Drama Star level persistent. Resetting every time you begin your play session punishes those who can only play, in short sessions. At least have a switch to make it persistent.

I kind of liked Drama Stars how they are, it's rewards keeping playing when things go wrong rather than reloading. :)

But yeah I can see how a switch would be a good idea.

Daniel.

Acleacius - if you save and exit, and then "continue" when you start up again, it's persistent.

Hey RampantCoyote, how's Frayed Knights 2 coming along? I haven't been following the news much lately and would like to know. In other words, do you see the light at the end of "indie development hell tunnel (pt. 2)," or is the game still a long ways off? (Just curious, not being snarky here.)

Is Frayed Knights 2 in old, outdated Torque? I didn't really care for Frayed Knights as I couldn't get into the party members at all. Pretty much started killing them on purpose, which was entertaining for a few minutes.

Still, I might try the next game unless it's the same party.

Last edited:
I was thinking about replaying this again at some point. Might even get the steam version when it goes on sale, and, when I do see it on Steam I'll get some friends to review it. At least 3 of us played and loved it.

So, to answer questions:

#1 - If you previously bought the game via a bundle (Game-in-a-box or Groupees), you'll get a steam key that way (and those bundles really helped me move up in Greenlight rank, so I owe 'em).

#2 - If you bought it through me or through Desura and having a Steam key is important to you, contact me with your original purchase information. This will be a manual process, so please be patient.

#3 - FK2 - not as far along as I'd hoped (we'd had a major false start... two, if you include Torque), but it's coming along. We're showing the game at Salt Lake Comic Con in just over a month, so that's forcing us to make something that's actually SHOWABLE. Still, don't expect the game this year.

#4 - Nope, it's not in Torque. That's one BIG reason for delays, but I'm not sorry. FK2 is in Unity, and it's wonderful.

#5 - The storyline is still about the Frayed Knights (and... friends). So the party will usually but not always be the same characters. In fact, the characters and their personalities and histories will be coming even more to the forefront in this one.

As a side note, events kind of forced something of a major review of things with the art guys. There are some things we're cutting from this one (and the sequel), in order to focus on a few things really well. We'll be trying to make the game a bit more stylized but consistent, make a far better UI, and everything. We're also trying to ease players into the game better, but it's still gonna be pretty hardcore under the hood.

OK, thanks for the answers. Godspeed!

As a side note, events kind of forced something of a major review of things with the art guys. There are some things we're cutting from this one (and the sequel), in order to focus on a few things really well. We'll be trying to make the game a bit more stylized but consistent, make a far better UI, and everything.
This sounds good, because like it or not, graphics and UI matter quite a lot to most "non-hardcore" CRPG gamers. Not saying those wouldn't matter to hardcore CRPG players as well, but they are (usually) much more tolerant of simpler graphics and clunkier UIs (to wit, most having endured the golden oldies which didn't all have the smoothest UIs, etc).

You are exactly right, LG. The Skull of S'makh-Daon was a learning experience, and while I'm extremely proud of it, part of the delay in the sequel has been me working out ways of improving things the second time around... without having a massive increase in budget over what I had with the first game. At least this time I'm using my income from the first game as my budget, instead of my daughters' college funds. I'm sure they'll appreciate that... :)

Back
Top Bottom