For fans of Diablo (News)

Right, Hellgate was earlier, and certainly had the better melee (among many other things). But the ranged combat in first person felt better in Borderlands.

It's a shame that all those attempts at a remake or restart of Hellgate never come up with anything solid.

Right, Hellgate was earlier, and certainly had the better melee (among many other things). But the ranged combat in first person felt better in Borderlands.

It's a shame that all those attempts at a remake or restart of Hellgate never come up with anything solid.

Very true, the first person shooting in Hellgate was pretty barebones and weak - but, for the time, I thought it worked well.

But it was definitely a great proof-of-concept for taking Diablo into the TP/FP action combat genre.

Actually Hellgate is running very well indeed with London 2038.

www.london2038.com

Even as old and quaint as Hellgate is, it's still the best looter shooter overall.

The link does not work, but isnt 2038 a fan-made alpha?

The link does not work, but isnt 2038 a fan-made alpha?

Maybe this is better?

https://london2038.com/

It's essentially just the latest version of the official Hellgate London that never reached public servers.

They have made a few minor changes here and there, but it's the same game as the TC4 (Test Center 4) version that was never released.

So, apart from being entirely free - there's really no functional difference. Well, free in the sense that you need the original install of the game to play it :)

I've played it quite a lot and it's been 100% stable and hassle-free.

Hm maybe I'll try it afterall. Since you are into these kinds of games, have you tried Shadow Warrior 2, and can you recommend it?

Hm maybe I'll try it afterall. Since you are into these kinds of games, have you tried Shadow Warrior 2, and can you recommend it?

Only briefly, but I've been meaning to give it a proper shot eventually.

It was very smooth and heavy on the action. Quite well done, I'd say.

But it doesn't have the depth of mechanics that something like Hellgate has - so it's more if you're into the sort of zany 80s action-movie humor and over-the-top combat.

Could not find my Hellgate copy. Looked at amazon prices. Had a good laugh. :lol:

But it was definitely a great proof-of-concept for taking Diablo into the TP/FP action combat genre.

Even as old and quaint as Hellgate is, it's still the best looter shooter overall.

Agree and thank you for previously recommending it. Played it for a while (single player offline with latest patches) and enjoyed the summoner build. Ran out of steam later due to repeated mission structures/quests, but atmosphere, loot and combat to me were brilliant with the Diablo formula.

Agree and thank you for previously recommending it. Played it for a while (single player offline with latest patches) and enjoyed the summoner build. Ran out of steam later due to repeated mission structures/quests, but atmosphere, loot and combat to me were brilliant with the Diablo formula.

Yeah, the quests are pretty crappy overall - and it's not exactly the most interesting story.

For my part, I find these games work much better when played cooperatively.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

That said, singleplayer offline doesn't include all the Stonehenge or Abyss Chronicles stuff. It's just the old version that was never updated because Flagship went under.

So, if you want to see more of what the game COULD have been, you can just play it singleplayer online. You don't have to interact with anyone - for any reason.

Back
Top Bottom