Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm afraid I've messed up the quest to rescue Tig.

I passed the dialogue check to figure out that the evil spirit is invisible, but I didn't have GLitterdust memorized at that time. I came back and cast Glitterdust all over the hut but didn't hit the spirit -- and then I tried Communal See Invisibility -- nothing.

Googling around, apparently the option to use Glitterdust can be available in the dialogue itself -- is that how you have to do it?

Also irritated by the skill checks. Die rolls outside of combat don't make a lot of sense to me -- opening chests is just a tedious business of reloading til I make it, with no real uncertainty, just lots of bother. In a videogame, I'd much rather have a system more like PoE where you either have the skill level for a given test or you just don't.

Otherwise it's a good time.

I love the game, but the issue you raise, is dealt with in PF rules: you can "take 10" or 20 on your die roll for a skill check when not 'under pressure' and if there are no consequences to failing. Like lock picking. so if you have have a trickery skill of 31 your max should be 20+31 = 51 (take 20). You do waste time - effectively 20 rounds- but that is not an issue outside of combat. I assume they did not implement this because it seems 'unfair' to someone... I do what you do, reload until I get my just reward!

I'm afraid I've messed up the quest to rescue Tig.

I passed the dialogue check to figure out that the evil spirit is invisible, but I didn't have GLitterdust memorized at that time. I came back and cast Glitterdust all over the hut but didn't hit the spirit -- and then I tried Communal See Invisibility -- nothing.

Googling around, apparently the option to use Glitterdust can be available in the dialogue itself -- is that how you have to do it?

Yes, if you have glitterdust scroll or spell memorised and available in your spellbook, the option should appear in the dialogue.

I love the game, but the issue you raise, is dealt with in PF rules: you can "take 10" or 20 on your die roll for a skill check when not 'under pressure' and if there are no consequences to failing. Like lock picking. so if you have have a trickery skill of 31 your max should be 20+31 = 51 (take 20). You do waste time - effectively 20 rounds- but that is not an issue outside of combat. I assume they did not implement this because it seems 'unfair' to someone… I do what you do, reload until I get my just reward!

If you play arcane trickster and select Ranged Legerdemain skill, it allows you multiple tries to pick the lock :D

Thanks PB!

Not a big deal, but I currently don't have an advisor capable of investigating Tartuk/Tartuccio's curse. Is that because I chased off Bartholomew?

Either way, how long do I have to wait for more potential advisors to show up? I'm just post-Troll.

I believe you need arcane advisor position for that, which means you need 60 points + rank 3 in Divine to unlock the position first.

Funny enough Bartholomew isn't one of the candidate for magister.

Octavia, The Storyteller and one more very spoilerific character are eligible magisters

So, I finally started playing. :)

Dunno if I should make my own thread or what.

I like it!

Spent ages on character creation. Ended up making a boring old cleric but he can use a greatsword because of his god. Didn't think to make him a "crusader cleric" until it was too late, but the way things are panning out I regret giving him 16 str because pretty much all he's good for is casting Animate Dead and healing. Should have just gone healing domain, I guess.

I have Valerie with her shield being the only party member who doesn't get destroyed in melee. (playing on Challenging difficulty) Everyone else just uses a ranged weapon.

I'm not that far into the game but I do like it more than Pillars of Eternity. It's really easy to get into and you feel like you're back exploring in a BG game in no time. Compared to other games BG2 and TOEE and stuff are much slower to get going and I've grown to flat out hate the BG2 newbie dungeon. I have a multiplayer save game outside in town so I can just skip it!

Anyway, that's my impressions by level 5 or so. Good D&D game!

Hey, glad you are enjoying Kingmaker @SirJames;

I played Crusader cleric as main character and I really like it - but apparently, many people believes its a gimped archetype. I'm enjoying Crusader regardless and had no issues finishing the game (but then I play on normal difficulty).

I'm progressing nicely with 3rd DLC as well, it's a lot more fun than I thought! (in fact, it's now my favourite Kingmaker DLC). A little info on this DLC for those who are interested. You will get 4 mini bosses before you can reach the big final baddie. You can only kill 1 mini boss per game, after that you need to restart the game by importing your existing game (this can be done by exiting the hub area via north west exit) - you will carry over some essential items that unlock the final boss and you will also get some boon in the beginning as well.

So, I'm progressing onto the 2nd mini boss!

Hey, glad you are enjoying Kingmaker @SirJames;

I played Crusader cleric as main character and I really like it - but apparently, many people believes its a gimped archetype. I'm enjoying Crusader regardless and had no issues finishing the game (but then I play on normal difficulty).
Just Crusader Cleric archtype or are they saying Cleric is weak in general? I'm not sure it's worth losing a domain to get 5 fighter feats? Do Crusaders get Fighter BAB and 4 attacks or just the feats?

There's a bunch of classes there I'm not familiar with. Which are the good ones? Other than Red Dragon Disciple I'm pretty unlikely to try the weird classes unless they're companions. That Orc Magus seems interesting but at the same time he's still too much effort to take into melee. I'd rather he just spammed magic missiles all battle. The Inquisitor isn't really winning me over. It's just half way between a Paladin and Cleric or something?

I've got Strength and Glory domains on my normal Cleric. Strength domain because I thought Stoneskin and Transformation would be awesome and I know them as Wizard spells. Glory, I didn't really recognise the extra spells but an aura of Heroism sounded pretty fantastic.

I'm progressing nicely with 3rd DLC as well, it's a lot more fun than I thought! (in fact, it's now my favourite Kingmaker DLC). A little info on this DLC for those who are interested. You will get 4 mini bosses before you can reach the big final baddie. You can only kill 1 mini boss per game, after that you need to restart the game by importing your existing game (this can be done by exiting the hub area via north west exit) - you will carry over some essential items that unlock the final boss and you will also get some boon in the beginning as well.

So, I'm progressing onto the 2nd mini boss!
Yeah, I've cleared the first floor of that dungeon. The second floor was too hard for me, just yet. Everything is pretty hard. I'm pretty much losing every encounter first try and using a lot of F8. I was actually worried if I made my standard fighter the game would be too easy, like NWN2, but now I'm looking forward to starting again with confidence I won't make it too easy.

Just Crusader Cleric archtype or are they saying Cleric is weak in general? I'm not sure it's worth losing a domain to get 5 fighter feats? Do Crusaders get Fighter BAB and 4 attacks or just the feats?

Just Crusader cleric archtype. Apparently, Crusader gets 3/4 BAB progression so it will be less than Fighter.

There's a bunch of classes there I'm not familiar with. Which are the good ones? Other than Red Dragon Disciple I'm pretty unlikely to try the weird classes unless they're companions. That Orc Magus seems interesting but at the same time he's still too much effort to take into melee. I'd rather he just spammed magic missiles all battle. The Inquisitor isn't really winning me over. It's just half way between a Paladin and Cleric or something?

Well, just play around with them (that's half the fun!) :) Alchemists are pretty OP, and I heard Kineticist can be very powerful too but I haven't really played around with that class. Personally, I hate Magus.

I've got Strength and Glory domains on my normal Cleric. Strength domain because I thought Stoneskin and Transformation would be awesome and I know them as Wizard spells. Glory, I didn't really recognise the extra spells but an aura of Heroism sounded pretty fantastic.

I also picked glory domain for the awesome aura of heroism :D It kicks ass!

Yeah, I've cleared the first floor of that dungeon. The second floor was too hard for me, just yet. Everything is pretty hard. I'm pretty much losing every encounter first try and using a lot of F8. I was actually worried if I made my standard fighter the game would be too easy, like NWN2, but now I'm looking forward to starting again with confidence I won't make it too easy.

I'm very close to facing second mini boss :D If you find the combat too challenging, just put down the difficulty until you get familiar with your party composition/class/abilities/spells etc.

Do you think thieves would be fun to play? I usually go with a fighter or a mage, but I'm thinking of going with a rapier or dual wielding swashbuckler type thief in my first playthrough.

I think rogue is quite fun - I haven't played rogue as a main but there is a goblin duel wielding rogue companion and he is a blast to play with! I'm also trying out this strange build of ranger/vivisectionist/mage/eldritch knight with rapier and it's heaps of fun too :)

Maybe a rogue with a dip into the duelist prestige?

Thanks - just looked at the duelist prestige class and it sounds perfect for what I had in mind! Guess that's what I'm aiming for.

Ha Purpleblob that sounds like one crazy build!

Just Crusader cleric archtype. Apparently, Crusader gets 3/4 BAB progression so it will be less than Fighter.
Do you, or anyone, remember how the bonus spells from Wisdom works? I've been thinking about multiclass options for my Cleric but I feel like full spells might be the best. A level or two of Barbarian for some movement speed could be alright, but he's moving away from fighting at the moment. I think 4+ casts of Mass Heal will be something I don't want to miss out on.

Well, just play around with them (that's half the fun!) :) Alchemists are pretty OP, and I heard Kineticist can be very powerful too but I haven't really played around with that class. Personally, I hate Magus.
Right, Kineticist… You've certainly got me thinking after that suggestion. I don't really understand the class but I noticed it rolls it's blasts or whatever off CON and I've been leveling Con on Valerie. I'm leveling up to 6 now and thinking I could take 10 levels of Kineticist and get my 4 attacks a round or 11 levels and get "supercharge" and 3 attacks but then if I'm happy with 3 attacks I could go 4 levels of Rogue for evasion (instead of Tower Shield Evasion) and uncanny dodge PLUS she's using a +3AC dagger for tanking so the free Finesse feat and some sneak attacks could be cool too. Her damage and hit chance with Defensive fighting on sucks so some Con based spells might make her do some damage. But she is pretty much carrying the party, at the moment.

I just did that quest where some Paladin forces her to fight and she gets a scar and I don't feel like that was a very lawful good thing to do. It might be lawful to challenge someone to a duel but I don't see any good there. I mean, can you imagine if this guy knew her as a girl then she leaves the convent, and lets face it, shes only got 10 WIS and wouldn't even be able to cast Paladin spells. There was no future there. Then his whole argument is "sorry, you're too hot to leave. I'm going to beat the shit out of you." and he's supposed to be lawful good? Whatever! So, I reloaded the game and killed them all. I don't really feel like it was a Chaotic Evil action. More like chaotic neutral.

If you find the combat too challenging, just put down the difficulty until you get familiar with your party composition/class/abilities/spells etc.
Naaaaah, just need a few more levels! I'll come back to hard fights later with better gear. :)

@Pongo; I don't know if I'd play a pure rogue but they're one of those classes where just 2 levels for evasion can be worth adding to a multiclass build like a couple of monk levels for AC from Wis or paladin for saves from Cha.

Last edited:
@SirJames; re: Valerie. You will find out more about the scar later

it's not just an ordinary scar… more to be revealed as you progress further ;)

Oh, wait

You killed them??? I've never done that before... did Valerie stay after that?? Did she still get a scar on her face?

No scar. She said "Remind me never to ask you for help again" and the quest is failed. I guess I broke the storyline? Maybe they'll send more beautiful loot to me. He drops some pretty nice +2 gear for a fighter and a +4 str belt.

Maybe I'll let her lose the duel next time so I can get the magic scar quest line.
I'm about to accept Kineticist for Valerie unless you can think of a reason not to. I can save and reload if she can't cast in armor or something, anyway. I've selected fire and there's some damage returning shield which sounds awesome to go with her bladed platemail. It sounds like Kineticist was made for tanks (and dwarves?) with that con requirement.

Last edited:
@Pongo; I don't know if I'd play a pure rogue but they're one of those classes where just 2 levels for evasion can be worth adding to a multiclass build like a couple of monk levels for AC from Wis or paladin for saves from Cha.

Thanks - useful tips. Sounds like I'm going to have a lot of fun building my swashbuckler. Lots of choices!

Another thing I noticed is Monks get fighter BAB? I'm sure they had worse in NWN but the flurry move made up for it. Has anyone tried a monk yet? :)

Hmmm… So, this Burn (losing HP until rest) thing is pretty horrible for a tank. I guess that's why you need Con. Plus I don't have the feats for touch attacks. Maybe this isn't such a good idea. It might have worked if I'd planned it from the start, but there's also some "must be unarmed" burn reducing moves which are a little off-putting. :/

Last edited:
One thing I love about the new DLC is trying out new classes and races. I made a half-orc Slayer. I would never make that race/class combo if I could only make one character.

I made a 5 person party for my adventure. Paladin, Slayer, Cleric, Ranger/Rogue, and Sorcerer. I think the Slayer is my favorite one in the group.

Another thing I noticed is Monks get fighter BAB? I'm sure they had worse in NWN but the flurry move made up for it. Has anyone tried a monk yet? :)

Hmmm… So, this Burn (losing HP until rest) thing is pretty horrible for a tank. I guess that's why you need Con. Plus I don't have the feats for touch attacks. Maybe this isn't such a good idea. It might have worked if I'd planned it from the start, but there's also some "must be unarmed" burn reducing moves which are a little off-putting. :/

I used a monk for my first run through of the main campaign. PF monks are great - there flurry has almost not attack penalty compared to a regular fighter and they get immunity to poison, disease as well as magic resistance etc as they level. The ki point pool is also very cool +1 melee attack at highest bonus, or host of other abilities. Their blows can also get through DR magic/cold iron/silver/adamantine as they level…in PF P&P game you can cast align weapon on their hands, but I don't think that works in the game (or there is no spell?). One negative - they only do bludgeoning damage - so either you need some special ability that can transform that or you can use a monk weapon (like sai etc) that can do slash or pierce to deal with creatures that have high DR or immunity to bludgeon (but then you lose the unarmed DR - as far as I know). And monks have great saves ;-) A good choice really…

Back
Top Bottom