What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

It'll be pretty easy choice unless you follow the lawful good moral compass. Rules are not always right and sensible. Personally i would bend the rules or handle the situation with one of my eyes closed.

From i what saw from the end sequence, i'm sure the young girl would end up to grow up among non-family members or neigbours anyway (or worse with delinquents or strangers) instead of her real mother who excited about going to party/date...

Interesting topic... made a thread here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=93515#post93515

Well I finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

All I can say is WOW that movie was bad. I'm not talking Star Wars prequels type of bad, I'm talking flat out ridiculously bad. I actually refuse to acknowledge it as Indiana Jones canon.

I'm a bit behind. Saw Death Race last weekend. Not going to win any awards, but I had a good time with it. Pretty cool concept and they make it very nearly plausible. Worth a trip to the theatre if you're looking for a fun and gritty action flick.

Caught Iron Man at the dollar flicks last night. I had heard very good things about that one, and I thought it lived up to them pretty well. I haven't read any of the comics, so I can't speak to that angle, but the movie itself was a good time. Downey Jr. gave an excellent performance.

Just saw "Wanted" - must be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Too trashy, too witless, takes itself much too serious... simply not my cup of tea.

I'm even further behind. Our double feature this weekend was Fatal Attraction (in honor of a certain toasted female presidential candidate) and.... Colossus:The Forbin Project.:end:

The former still played pretty well, the latter very dated...I imagine real IT people would roll watching it.

What, there's a Mutant Chronicles movie??? Hehehehehehe, I MUST check it out.
EDIT
Awww, pity - did they really forget to include Cybertronic? In the RPG, I usually played Cybertronic personnel, my favorite character being a Cuirassier in Attila Mark III gear. In the trading card game, I rather played Dark Legion (but not out of preference - there just were the least restrictions when playing against random others).

Last edited:
Watched the 80's Fly and Fly II.

The Fly w/ Jeff Goldblum n Geena Davis holds up great imho, for an 80's film it's really quite good. Fly II however, what a joke, pretty lame film, but we had fun laughing at it so it was a positive experience. I do give them points for an ok monster, and some funny gore. Check out the poor sap gettin his head squished like a grape at the 0:56 mark!

Better yet, check out the hilariously sappy scene where Fly Jr plays Kevorkian to a retarded muppet (actually a pooch teleportation gone awry). I love how the thing crawls forward, eats a little of it's slop, then raises it's head and howls in woe as the music swells. Definitely an LOL moment!

meanwhile, If you read the comments, people are bawling left and right at it, the poster of the vid itself can barely see thru his tears enough to edit it. Im crackin up all over again, this is the gift that keeps on giving! Bravo Eric Stoltz, bravo!

Last edited:
The first Fly movie scared the sh*t out of me, I think I was about 11 or 12 when it was released. The special FX were great for back then.

Good Grief, you moderns; check out the ORIGINAL Fly movie with Vincent Price in B&W!! :)

Help me, help me!

SQUASH.

Yerp, classic for sure.

Inside

A year ago i started to look into European horror genre. It quite an eye-opening experience. One of the gems i found recent is the highly rated french horror film entitle "Inside". Personally i highly recommend this one for any horror/thriller movie fans, no just for the violence and gore, but because it was well made film in term of acting, characterization, solid plot, and nice revelation for the ending (most horror films have bad ending imo).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_le_interieur/

Talking about French horror ... what do you think about High Tension?

I haven´t seen it yet. Hard to find an uncut version. The authorities are currently discussing whether High Tension should really stay on Liste B, as in "beschlagnahmt" ( = confiscated), or be downgraded to Liste A ( = "The Index"). I only heard that this is the major French horror flick.

I haven´t seen it yet. Hard to find an uncut version. The authorities are currently discussing whether High Tension should really stay on Liste B, as in "beschlagnahmt" ( = confiscated), or be downgraded to Liste A ( = "The Index"). I only heard that this is the major French horror flick.

Oops..... sorry Gorath, I assumed you had already seen it. It's a pretty brutal movie, so I'm not surprised about any controversy surrounding it. It's worth seeing at least once imo, although it's nothing extraordinary.

There are several French Horror films that really got my attention. I haven't see "High Tension" as well and hoped to get it soon. But beside the "Inside", another French's horror "Them" also very recommendable. Unlike "Inside" and "Frontier", "Them" doesn't has many gory scenes but once the action kicked in, the tension is high and would keep you on the edge of seat until the very end. The film did quite well by creating the feel of isolation, and the two main characters are under attack of unknown, vicious, unrelenting attackers.

In contrast to "Them", "Frontier" by Xavier Gens is a horror film that will assaulting your sense with full blown brutality. What make the film more interesting is the political undertone that related French's government and the even more twisted version of Nazism.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ils/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/frontieres/

frontieres.jpg

Looks like we're going out yet again today (this is getting WAY expensive), so I'll have something to add later (or next week, given my recent "timeliness"). For now, last week's duds:

Indiana Jones 4: huge disappointment, and I wasn't actually expecting much. This is a lousy character study rather than an adventure movie. They copy several ideas from previous installments in the series, and yet largely bungle even those. Saw it at the dollar theatre and felt like I overpaid.

Mirrors: Horror film that doesn't really scare, with plenty of plot holes to wash it down. Keifer Sutherland does an adequate job with the script he's got, but there's only so much polishing you can do. Gets points for a largely original concept, although it's another one of those Ring/Grudge/Pulse remakes of Japanese flicks. Maybe worth a rental if you can't find anything else to catch your fancy.

We had a couple more cheese creature features from the past this week. Phase IV was actually pretty good "B" grade sci-fi from the seventies-eighties about ants that suddenly become uber-sentient and bent on world conquest. Especially effective since use of close-up footage of ants was the only special effect--no monster CGI, or guys in zip-up ant suits. Worth a rental.
Also caught Anaconda with Jon Voigt, Ice Cube and Jennifer Lopez as a sultry post-adolescent, a pretty good if silly effort as well. Good popcorn fare all round.

Just watched Waitress with Nathan Fillion. I love Nathan Fillion and thought it would be a comedy. It was really sad, but very enjoyable. I am glad I bought it and will have to watch it again this weekend.

@magerette. You're admitting you watched Anaconda? You're not panning it completely? Am I in some weird bizarro world where people can say anything they want.... no matter how socially unaccepable? Next you'll be saying you think Sean Connery is hot.... or that he can act. I haven't seen Anaconda (cause it' so bad), but I have this "friend" who said they wish they had just gouged their eyes out with a spoon instead of watching that movie.... a friend, not me.

Frontier sounds very interesting.... I will have to find it, thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom