Things you don't need to know...

Makes you think:
digital_resource_lifespan.png

pibbur who thinks this is maybe something you should know. And do know.

Last edited:
Yeah. This is called the "digital rot".

I was upset when RelicNews forums, Karos Graveyard wiki, GearHead wiki, and GearHead forums were no longer available. Now I tell people to use Wikia instead, despite the ads. At least you know they will still be there in 10 years.

My general opinion of the Internet has gone down over the past several years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

The cleanup in the rest of Greater Boston and its suburbs would take an indefinably longer time. Rescue workers, cleanup crews, and sight-seers had tracked molasses through the streets and spread it to subway platforms, to the seats inside trains and streetcars, to pay telephone handsets, into homes,[1][2]:139 and to countless other places. "Everything a Bostonian touched was sticky."

ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

Supposedly only two percent of the world can solve this.
There are no tricks, just pure logic.

1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: who owns the fish?

HINTS

1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.

Everything I try keeps coming up with the Norwegian having the fish. Better ask Pibs!! :)

Tried to figure this out without the internet. The easiest thing to establish is the color of the houses and their order. After that it is a bit of try and error in Excel with the remaining combinations, before reaching the conclusion that the one who owns the fish is:
German

Position|1|2|3|4|5
Color|Yellow|Blue|Red|Green|White
Beverage|Water|Tea|Milk|Coffee|Beer
Smokes|Dunhill|Blends|Pall Mall|Prince|Blue Mast
Nationality|Norwegian|Dane|Brit|German|Swede
Pet|Cats|Horses|Birds| |Dogs

"Molasse" means something entirely different in German language :
This : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasse

An unsuspecting reader like me :D would now assume that "molasses" is the plural form of "molasse". Now, what's the actual English-language plural form of "molasse", then ?

If I was a troll, I would link the term "molasse" in the "molasses flood" article with the definnition from above, especially since the "molasses flood" article completely fails to EXPLAIN what's "molasses" means in THIS context !

Molasses can be fermented to produce rum and ethanol, the active ingredient in other alcoholic beverages and a key component in the manufacturing of munitions.[2]:11 The stored molasses was awaiting transfer to the Purity plant situated between Willow Street and what is now named Evereteze Way, in Cambridge.

Logic puzzles like this appeared in every Dell Crossword magazine back in the day. It's all about the process of elimination, and yes creating a large table to indicate which combinations to eliminate is essential.

Logic puzzles like this appeared in every Dell Crossword magazine back in the day. It's all about the process of elimination, and yes creating a large table to indicate which combinations to eliminate is essential.

They still appear in most puzzle books. It does indeed help if the puzzle setter provides a grid to work from:

LogicPuzzle.GIF

91VJBZUWTWL._AC_UL320_SR260,320_.jpg

Makes you think:
digital_resource_lifespan.png

pibbur who thinks this is maybe something you should know. And do know.

People seemed convinced that "what goes onto the internet stays on the internet" but this is just a meaningless meme. The only thing that stays is the stuff people bother to keep (most likely so they can 'get someone' one day) or is only really accessible by those who have the right clearance.

The internet can have stuff vanish overnight with barely a blink from anyone. How long ago was it that Photobucket suddenly decided to remove billions of images across the world?

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/photobucket.com

Wow, my ISP replaced my internet interface thingy today, and now I'm downloading Doom 4 at 10 MB/s, twice as fast as before. 1 1/2 minute to DL 1 GB. ANd I don't think I pay more than I did.

Envy me.

pibbur who remembers his first (2400) modem, who required nearly 2 months pr GB.

Not many Americans are marine geologists.

You don't need to, because sooner or later they'll be the foundations of your land. I've seen molasse(s) high up in the Alps.

People seemed convinced that "what goes onto the internet stays on the internet" but this is just a meaningless meme. The only thing that stays is the stuff people bother to keep (most likely so they can 'get someone' one day) or is only really accessible by those who have the right clearance.

The internet can have stuff vanish overnight with barely a blink from anyone. How long ago was it that Photobucket suddenly decided to remove billions of images across the world?

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/photobucket.com

"What goes onto the internet stays at the NSA" maybe?

Back
Top Bottom