Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I actually like encumbrance in a game like this... to a degree. The idea of taking every single set of armor from fallen enemies and hauling a dozen swords, breastplates, boots, etc around a dungeon just to squeeze out some extra gold is just silly to me. It's not Diablo, FFS.

Even in no-encumbrance games I often limit what kind of junk I haul back.

I actually like encumbrance in a game like this… to a degree. The idea of taking every single set of armor from fallen enemies and hauling a dozen swords, breastplates, boots, etc around a dungeon just to squeeze out some extra gold is just silly to me. It's not Diablo, FFS.

Even in no-encumbrance games I often limit what kind of junk I haul back.

Same thing here. I like how your characters speed in combat also depends on their encumbrance. Little touches to think about and manage.

ugh! Not me, if there is loot and I have to pay 2000 or more for a hireling, I'm picking up every 1 gp item, so I need an encumbrance mod. Still, I'm glad that you guys enjoy that stuff. Just because I don't get it....

Is anyone at
Womb of Lamashtu
yet? This place is insane! I'm not sure if I rushed ahead and wasn't supposed to be here yet or what, because I'm fighting some super tough encounters. Yet the main quest seems to be leading me there a bit and I only have minor things left to do. Is this designed for a higher than level 9 party? Even with taking a Cleric I can only carry so many rations and use so many Lesser Restoration spells for the drain damage...

Is anyone at
Womb of Lamashtu
yet? This place is insane! I'm not sure if I rushed ahead and wasn't supposed to be here yet or what, because I'm fighting some super tough encounters. Yet the main quest seems to be leading me there a bit and I only have minor things left to do. Is this designed for a higher than level 9 party? Even with taking a Cleric I can only carry so many rations and use so many Lesser Restoration spells for the drain damage…

Yep, I am. I wasted 2 hours there last night then realised I need to reload to get more rations and prepare different spells to get through this :( I need to rethink strategy for this area before attempting it again.

Yep, I am. I wasted 2 hours there last night then realised I need to reload to get more rations and prepare different spells to get through this :( I need to rethink strategy for this area before attempting it again.

And probably level up more, doing side missions or other tasks, randomly exploring areas, etc..

Yeah, I'm level 9 as well. I think I'm going to go punch on with the dragon I've been avoiding lol. And try to level up to 10.

So my party is my main (Archaeologist/Alchemist), Valerie (full blown tank, Stalwart Defender), Nok-Nok (DPS), Harrim (for lesser restoration and healing), Linzi (for her magic and bard's songs) and Ekundayo + Okbo the dog (damage dealer mostly, Okbo makes a good tank.)

I was thinking maybe Wands of Fireball by Linzi, plus a lot of Bless and Bane. But I need at least 16 rations to bring, if not 20, if not *more*, so I might buy some more while in town. It's a really hard place. I died a lot at the
9 Primal Giant Spiders + multiple spiderswarms + Doomspider
encounter and just turned back. What's weird is that my kingdom is normal again and Keress is still there o_O. I decided to do the hunter's quest thing in the meantime, but otherwise I'm also quested out. Maybe explore some of these random locations I'm starting to find to level up again? Harrim also has Aura of Destruction which helps, and Linzi's Inspire Greatness, but you have to budget them with the rations. Very tough dungeon. Oh and the Stalwart Defender's ability to take the Defensive Stance is also awesome. But
Nok-Nok
dies easily even though I tried giving him everything good item-wise and his AC is 27, and sometimes they ambush from the back and my main character is toast. Also have Haste to cast and Slow, but again, gotta ration if this dungeon is this hard at the beginning, you know it gets worse later!

I'm gonna try that dragon thing again too. And explore Lonely Mill, Lonely Burrow, Ancient Mine, etc.. Whatever you do, stay away from the Dire Narlmarshes, lol.

I'm also wondering if we rushed a bit. I think the game is meant to be slower played there, because the next Bald Hilltop curse for me is still 176 days away. I think maybe more kingdom stuff needs to be done, and we kind of rushed the main story there. Not sure but it's a hunch I had.

So my party is my main (Archaeologist/Alchemist), Valerie (full blown tank, Stalwart Defender), Nok-Nok (DPS), Harrim (for lesser restoration and healing), Linzi (for her magic and bard's songs) and Ekundayo + Okbo the dog (damage dealer mostly, Okbo makes a good tank.)

My strategy is quite similar although party composition is different.

I'm using Valerie as main tank, my PC (Fighter/Mage/Eldritch Knight) is off-tank/dps support, Amiri as melee dps, Tristian as heal/buff, plus Octavia and Ekun as ranged dps.

I've loaded Tristian with slow poison (group), restoration, and healing spells. Octavias and my PC is loaded with fire spells. Its just... the whole dungeon is way too long!!!

I'm also wondering if we rushed a bit. I think the game is meant to be slower played there, because the next Bald Hilltop curse for me is still 176 days away. I think maybe more kingdom stuff needs to be done, and we kind of rushed the main story there. Not sure but it's a hunch I had.

??? You have another curse timer?? I think I need to check... I wonder if researching that curse may prevent this happening?

My strategy is quite similar although party composition is different.

I'm using Valerie as main tank, my PC (Fighter/Mage/Eldritch Knight) is off-tank/dps support, Amiri as melee dps, Tristian as heal/buff, plus Octavia and Ekun as ranged dps.

I've loaded Tristian with slow poison (group), restoration, and healing spells. Octavias and my PC is loaded with fire spells. Its just… the whole dungeon is way too long!!!

I didn't even get as far as you then, because I went about 3 or 4 rooms in and it was just too tough. I first had to go back and get Harrim and that didn't help much. I'll have to try again after leveling up. But I think the kingdom continuously gets a penalty because of the monsters, right? My barony is in a "worried" state now, which is step 1 of the 7 steps to disaster. :(

??? You have another curse timer?? I think I need to check… I wonder if researching that curse may prevent this happening?

Yeah, I had one for 360 days! It's down to 176 now. I researched it but
it turns out the curse that's plaguing the lands wasn't coming from there, or Candlemere. So I think you have to continue researching and eventually hunt down the main source, which may not even be the Womb of Lamashtu! (Or it might be, and we're meant to go there much later after all that research/etc. is done…)

I have a hunch that's what happened. We fast forwarded past all that research that was supposed to be done, and jumped ahead. Maybe.

Wait... Fluent did you finish following quests:

Hunting with nobles from neighbouring regions, monsters popping out of people, chasing after priests of Lamashtu etc?

Wait… Fluent did you finish following quests:

Hunting with nobles from neighbouring regions, monsters popping out of people, chasing after priests of Lamashtu etc?

I skipped the hunting with nobles, but got the monsters popping out of people "The Bloom", chasing the priests and also defending the capital from monsters. Next step was to go to the Womb of Lamashtu and that's where Kersten died (I chose to return to the capital instead of go straight to the Womb, Jhod would have probably died the other way around.) But now I'm trying to hunt with the nobles and I can't seem to finish that quest. Where's the wyvern's head? It looked like one of the houses killed it already…

Also, my capital is like normal now, everyone's back and there's no devastation. Even Kersten is there. Very weird. There's also an X in the questbook next to the Nobles hunting quest because of noticing monsters popping out of people, so I guess that quest is ruined?

What I'm saying is that we probably rushed the whole thing and should have spent more time kingdom building. It might not have been time yet to pursue that stuff, but then again, the kingdom stuff sparked that whole questline, so who knows? But that dungeon is very very hard.

Last edited:
Hey I just thought of something. With a Bag of Holding you could stuff 100 rations or more in maybe. That would at least let you rest a ton inside a dungeon! I might try that now.

Bag of holding just reduces weight in this game, rather than actually working like a... bag.

Not to mention the bag only increases max weight by 100 I believe ... and rations are very heavy I have discovered.

Not to mention the bag only increases max weight by 100 I believe … and rations are very heavy I have discovered.

By 200, so 20 extra rations. Might be handy in this dungeon, with Ekundayo that's 5 extra rests I can make...

Okay, build question. Should I make
Nok-Nok
a Duelist or keep him a Knife Master? Duelist sounds good, for rogues who are afraid to battle on front lines because of lack of heavy armor, they can deftly avoid attacks and precisely attack enemy vulnerabilities. That means, though, that I have to take the Combat Mobility feat this level and make him a Duelist next level. I'm level 10 now, and instead of Combat Mobility I could take the very nice advanced Rogue talent of Opportunist, which lets me make attacks of opportunity on any enemy who attacks a companion I'm standing next to, which seems very nice. Hmm. Duelist would probably make him super good as he dies a bit easily now even with advanced gear. Decisions…what would you guys do?

And are Spiders considered Vermin for favored enemy Ranger feats?

I would stick with Knife Master personally.

And are Spiders considered Vermin for favored enemy Ranger feats?

Spiders should be considered vermin, you can always check in the encyclopedia in-game (go in the journal, it's one of the tab). There is supposed to be a bestiary in it with creature info (that I wanted to check, but always forget about lol).

ugh! Not me, if there is loot and I have to pay 2000 or more for a hireling, I'm picking up every 1 gp item, so I need an encumbrance mod. Still, I'm glad that you guys enjoy that stuff. Just because I don't get it….

I started hoovering everything at the start of the game (mainly because I wanted custom companions), I quickly stopped after noticing the party slowing down on the world map and the constant resting from exertion, which is not good when you're on a timer. That was fun for a while though, praying to the RNG gods you don't get ambushed while your party slowly inches its way back to the trading post xD

If you want to know, I had enough money for a full custom party
right before the end of the first chapter, before attacking the stag Lord's fortress. That was after doing everything else I could find on the map
. So rather soon, but you'll be missing on some expensive goodies from the trading post. I like that it makes you make this choice, it's good crpg design IMO.

Back
Top Bottom