Woah: Origin has 39 million users

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I love this pic.
243597-suprised.jpg

EA’s Origin™ platform for downloading digital games and services has registered over 39 million users, including 17 million mobile users. EA has signed agreements with 86 independent developers for Origin.

Electronic Arts has just reported their Q3 FY 2013 financial results. Surprise Origin has over 39 million users. Yeah we know you cant believe it.

For comparison's sake, Valve's Steam has about 54 million registered users as of late last year. EA says that 17 million of their count are mobile users. Not bad.

So, love 'em or not, Origin is not going anywhere. In fact, they say that they've signed agreements with 86 independent developers for Origin distribution.

EA seems to be doing well. They have six of the top 20 titles in 2012 coming from them. They're also the number one publisher of iOS titles worldwide.

The evil overlord is on the rise.;)

Link for more info on there results-http://finance.yahoo.com/news/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy13-210100280.html

There was a weekend last summer or fall where you could "buy" any Origin game that was $19.99 for free. Origin was practically broken all weekend as Reddit, the entire country of Poland and every game deals forum plundered their sweet sweet booty. Some people made multiple accounts and filled them all up. I managed to grab around 15 games before I got sleepy on the last day. EA later said "You can keep your games! Hello new customers!"

I figure that accounts for at least 9 million. ;)

That doesn't surprise me. I'm a "registered user" I have 2 games that I bought retail but needed to be installed on origin. I bought them because they weren't available to add to my 114 game steam library.

Here's the funny part. I actually have 3 registered accounts. I had an ea account for madden which they switched to origin. I also had a bio ware account that they switched to origin and I opened an account for KOA and da2 because at the time I didn't even know the other accounts were switched to origin.

So 3 origin accounts and 2 games. I don't even think origin is that bad or any worse than steam but I have a feeling there is some serious number padding going on.

I wonder how many accounts people have and don't even know it.

There are also people with Origin accounts who don't game on PC and just use it as a store to order PS3 or Xbox retail games.

On the PC digital download side, it works fine but the store is not easy to navigate or find what you want. Many DLC for EA titles is not sold on the Origin store, for example, and you can't click on a title and see all the related DLC, or see games recommended by friends, etc.

The social features are also rather lacking compared to Steam, so the client is not very sticky. Most people I know who use Origin only run it to play a specific game and then close it, but they leave Steam on nearly all the time. If Origin was not mandatory installation for recent popular EA games like ME3, BF3, Crysis 3, etc., I don't think there would be many subscribers at all.

I actually hate the fact that Steam has a habit of staying open at all times.

Anyway, I'm an Origin user, but like most here I only have a few games. In fact, GOG is the only online store where I own a significant number of games (78 at the moment).

Don't forget that seemingly

- all EA accounts
- all Bioware Social accounts

have been fused into "Origin Accounts".

Even if you don't use the software as such.

Happened in my case.

The only exception I can see from this "rule" is SWTOR forums.
It has a rights management system of its own.

I don't believe in those 39 millions. If it was true, KoA would sell 39 million copies.

How come their malware didn't provide the real number by alerting them on how many PCs it's installed? I bet it's not on more than 10 mils, and that number is maybe too optimistic.

They're doing everything they can to blow up the numbers. Wait another year and they'll announce they've surpassed Steam.

The numbers are probably legit though, as it's simply a matter of registered users, not active users.

The numbers are probably legit though, as it's simply a matter of registered users, not active users.

^This + what Alrik said.

All their game websites users are Origins accounts now, since the "Great Merge". With The Sim, Battlefields, Fifa and other franchises 39 million users doesn't seems that high when you think that BF 3 sold over 15 millions copies.

Their might also be "duplicates". I have 2 Origin accounts, one of which I never used in Origin proper. It exist because I have a user on the official SWTOR forums. The other one is my old BioWare account.

I know I have two accounts myself. Active users though can be applied to Steam also. Food for though stats are just that stats. Anyone can quote numbers.

If I go by the census everyone in my state should be making $77,500 dollars a year. Yeah only in there dreams. The number surprised me though that's were the pic comes into play.

Back
Top Bottom