SW:TOR - Earned $165 Million Last Year

If you don't think $165 million in revenue means it's profitable, then I don't think you're being very realistic about what it costs to maintain and develop the game with a post-release team.

if you don't know the difference between revenue and profit you're going to be filing for bankruptcy pretty soon.

Well it's fixed now. Anything else I can change while I'm at.;)

lets leave wow out as its really an outlier when it comes to MMO...

The very interesting story here is that Lineage 1, 2 and EVE online, both are 10 to 15 years old and still making feck load of money....

Star Wars Galaxies was a far better game as far as "fun" was concerned. At least until they started mucking with it after the first 6 months or so. Still, this revenue is amazing to me. I really didn't think that many people still played it.

Star Wars Galaxies was a far better game as far as "fun" was concerned. At least until they started mucking with it after the first 6 months or so. Still, this revenue is amazing to me. I really didn't think that many people still played it.

Yep, I don't know a single person who plays SW:ToR - but several who play WoW. Of course, I'm just one data point ;-) How much did the game cost to make again?

I assume that they make most of the monersy through those F2P restrictions which you can unlock via the so-called "Cartel Coins" - and the "Cartel Coins"-market itself.

These "Cartel Coins" are some kind of in-game currency (but only for a special in-game shop) which you can buy for RL money.

Yep, I don't know a single person who plays SW:ToR - but several who play WoW. Of course, I'm just one data point ;-) How much did the game cost to make again?

I quit wow 2 years ago, though my wife still plays. I still play SWTOR though take breaks to play other RPG's, but due to buying game cards in bulk when they go on sale keep my subscription active. You may not know me but I thought I'd just be another data point for you. The game cost between $150- $200 million to make.

As for WoW vs SWtOR - WoW was a fantastic design upon release, and a true masterpiece.

SWtOR was weak and most of it derivative of WoW without being as good. But the production values, setting and voice overs did a lot for the game.

They've done a decent job polishing it up and adding some content.

I'd rather play TOR today than WoW - but then again, I'm beyond sick of WoW.

Another data point: I leveled up one character to 60 in WoW, then was bored by the generic quests and cancelled the subscription. On the other hand, I played through the storyline of most classes in SWTOR and still keep an active subscription (mostly for galactic starfighter, though, and I am not online a lot, now). It is frustrating how some bugs seem to persist for years, but still, the class and planet story lines are better presented and far more memorable than anything in WoW.

SWTOR was the best leveling experience I've ever had in an MMO. Sadly the class stories made up too little of the leveling experience and the linear theme park hand holding style killed any interest of making multiple toons (not that any MMO has really inspired me there). They've done a lot to polish it since release.

Nothing. On the other hand there are so many SciFi (and fantasy) settings unexplored. Mostly from books. I really want something fresh.

An RPG set sometime during the Hyperion novels would be interesting, though I'd love to see a CRPG using either the Eclipse Phase or Fading Suns settings too.

Cartel Coins?

z7PQdOt.gif

We sure those are not his invention?

Would be more interesting to see it per market and not worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom