The Outer Worlds Reviews

Somewhat the opposite myself. Seeing all the lipstick high-fashion model females with perfect hair, bouncy breasts, and plastic -perfect features tends to be very immersion breaking for me (EDIT: in any game I mean). Not mention high heels and/or skimpy clothes. Not a lot of super models living the rough life. Thought the characters were fine in Outer World, both genders. No one was super handsome/pretty/exceptional although I did think Parvarti was rather cute in many ways. My favorite character was Ellie - had her through everything.
Yep, same here. Parvati is a cutie in looks and behaviour. She's definitely not a tough woman. Elli imho is quite beautiful and might have a tough shell but you get hints of a softer core. Only Nyoka I is quite masculine.

Last edited:
Yea, maybe the frontier worlds (think: rugged) leads to butch-lookin', hard and unfeminine women who seem to prefer their own gender or somethin'…:lol:

Anyway, Obsidian is well known to, how should I put this, have certain inclinations in terms of their politics and games, so its kinda important to understand that context when talking about this stuff…let's put it this way - I doubt any Obsidian devs are right wing conservatives, lol. And if there are one or two, they are vastly, vastly outnumbered! :p

I've not played the game yet mate, but nearly every screen or clip I've seen of it shows the lasses to be short-haired, boy-looking types with a leanings towards michismo. It's no massive deal, but it does draw me out of games.

Give me a break. I guess Baldur's Gate is a no-go for you as well, then. I mean just look at this 'mishismo'.
latest

This viewpoint speaks more of yourself than it does Obsidian.

Baldur's Gate had a nice mix though. The females in that series were a lot more varied which is ironic considering how old the tech was compared to Unreal Engine 4.

Somewhat the opposite myself. Seeing all the lipstick high-fashion model females with perfect hair, bouncy breasts, and plastic -perfect features tends to be very immersion breaking for me (EDIT: in any game I mean). Not mention high heels and/or skimpy clothes. Not a lot of super models living the rough life. Thought the characters were fine in Outer World, both genders. No one was super handsome/pretty/exceptional although I did think Parvarti was rather cute in many ways. My favorite character was Ellie - had her through everything.

Just stay away from JRPGs and you'll be fine. I can't think of any western RPGs that are full of women like the ones you describe. I also thought Parvati was cute, but that was mostly from the way she talked which reminded me of Kaylee from Firefly.

Last edited:
So it's not yet another case of the horrible hair in videogames but the hairdo.
Man… Ever had a long hair? Yes? Ever a bug or a bat got stuck in there? Ever tried to pass through bushes with it?
Shorts are practical for adventuring types.

Apart from that I saw no boylooking anywhere in the whole game. In fact, were there any kids in it? I don't remember seen any.

My favorite was Nyoka. Of course not because of her looks, who cares about that. I loved her dirty thoughts and evil tongue. Her character. :)

It's a tough sell that one chap. I'd accept some of them having short hair sure, but so many just feels out of place. Even if it's practically true & accurate, it still takes me out the game because I'm used to seeing far more women with longer hair in real life.

Give me a break. I guess Baldur's Gate is a no-go for you as well, then. I mean just look at this 'mishismo'.
latest

This viewpoint speaks more of yourself than it does Obsidian.

As JDR12 says, there's way more of a mix in the BG games.

Alora, Branwen, Dynaheir, Safana, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Aerie, Nalia etc. plenty of longer haired, more feminine, gals in their. I think that got the balance pretty much spot on.

Tbh the lack of diversity in TOW strikes me as quite sexist. It's as if it wants to paint all women as the same.

It's a tough sell that one chap. I'd accept some of them having short hair sure, but so many just feels out of place. Even if it's practically true & accurate, it still takes me out the game because I'm used to seeing far more women with longer hair in real life.

So for you feminine = long hair?

The people (men and women) you talk to in TOW are guards, factory workers, bureaucrats, engineers, hard scrabbling frontier folk, scientists, dock workers…..it would be more out of place if they were rocking long, flowing locks. You could argue for more ponytails or buns, maybe, if you cared enough to do so, but you have to think about context here.

So for you feminine = long hair?

The people (men and women) you talk to in TOW are guards, factory workers, bureaucrats, engineers, hard scrabbling frontier folk, scientists, dock workers…..it would be more out of place if they were rocking long, flowing locks. You could argue for more ponytails or buns, maybe, if you cared enough to do so, but you have to think about context here.

Yep.

Fair point, but my head office is opposite a metals factory which is frequented by plenty of women, and you can count on one hand the number of short haired lasses compared to those with longer hair.

Let's put it this way, it's noticeable. As a thing it stands out, and that standing out puts me off playing the game. Fair play to those who it doesn't bother, but The Outer Worlds doesn't look - or from what people say - sound like an adventure I want to go on until it's bargain basement price.

I sort of agree. I think we need diversity!

We need super models as well as ugly/butch* ones.
We need bouncy breast as well as shaggy ones.

At the end of the day, if everyone looked like super model then no one is!

*I don't personally think butch is ugly :lol:

Everyone does.

How is that diversity? They are all wearing the same cloths and doing the same dance moves!

However I hate to say it that I was there 10 years ago when Diversity won BGT :(

That's that same Diversity, now 10 years older with a few new kids. Loved them back then, love them today.

Just heard a great banter bit from Parvarti while running around by the river in Edgewater. Paraphrasing from memory.

"I used to love skipping rocks on the water here. Till I was ticketed for unauthorized terraforming."

Last edited:
I sort of agree. I think we need diversity!

We need super models as well as ugly/butch* ones.
We need bouncy breast as well as shaggy ones.

At the end of the day, if everyone looked like super model then no one is!

*I don't personally think butch is ugly :lol:

** I do.
If she doesn't have long hair and big tits, I'm not interested. As I've said many times before, these are FANTASY games, so give me fantastic girls to lust after.

** I do.
If she doesn't have long hair and big tits, I'm not interested. As I've said many times before, these are FANTASY games, so give me fantastic girls to lust after.

I respectfully disagree. Even in a fantasy game, you need the "ugly" girl* to make the "pretty" girl* even prettier! Only when you see a real munter you will appreciate real beauty :p

*For all intent and purposes you can replace the girl with boy and same point will apply.

... and people are wondering why we get so many dating sims...

To each his own, but I definitely don’t want dating sims in my rpg’s.

I guess I’ve never looked at a digital character and found it a turn on. So i really don’t care what npc’s or companions look like.

I think most RPG players want dating sims set in fantasy or sci fi setting and I don't think there are many of those :)
I want well-made romances in an otherwise deep and well-made RPG. If the game is bad or there isn't any game besides the romances then the romances are worthless. Thus actual dating sims are bland.

That's the same for other leisure activities like playing dice, cards, drinking, tournaments, small talk, dressing, lighthearted side-quests. If they stand alone they're worthless. If they're embedded in a deep and well-made RPG they really add to the overall experience. I like the change of pace within a single game, switching between these leisure activities and the real action. And I want the freedom to decide on my own to a certain extend about when to do what.

I want well-made romances in an otherwise deep and well-made RPG. If the game is bad or there isn't any game besides the romances then the romances are worthless. Thus actual dating sims are bland.

That's the same for other leisure activities like playing dice, cards, drinking, tournaments, small talk, dressing, lighthearted side-quests. If they stand alone they're worthless. If they're embedded in a deep and well-made RPG they really add to the overall experience. I like the change of pace within a single game, switching between these leisure activities and the real action. And I want the freedom to decide on my own to a certain extend about when to do what.

I completely agree. There is nothing wrong with wanting good romances in a RPG but gameplay has to come first in a game, only then romances. Otherwise one is better off reading a romance novel and there are plenty of those.

What I was getting at earlier was that, if a RPG fan is playing a dating sim and not an RPG, then they may prefer the dating sim to be set in a fantasy setting rather than say modern setting.

… and people are wondering why we get so many dating sims…
To each his own, but I definitely don’t want dating sims in my rpg’s.
Well I do. You can't date aliens, pigeons or swords in RL, I mean… How exactly would you do that? Sure, you can date your car in RL, everyone does that… :evilgrin:

Videogames are a perfect media for dating crazyness. I say the more the marrier. :D
I completely agree. There is nothing wrong with wanting good romances in a RPG but gameplay has to come first in a game, only then romances. Otherwise one is better off reading a romance novel and there are plenty of those.
That's the very reason VNs are not advertised as RPGs. Except some falsely advertised, but we're not stupid to believe in it. Some might be stupid though as I didn't see mainstream gaming media protesting when Ubisoft advertised their mmo Division as RPG.

Anyhow, MC in Outer Worlds is not in the mood for dating. And that's okay if you ask me, RPG does not have to contain romances.
But also, let's remember that the last time you saw shotgun wedding in a videogame was - where? Ah-ha, yeah, now… Why is everyone scared of adding it in their game again? It was not a romance novel, it was not a dating sim but a reward for your roleplay "misdeeds". I want to see it again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom