The Witcher 2 - Videos, Screens, Console Versions

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a handful of new Witcher 2 items. CD Projekt has updated thewitcher.com, adding a new video showing some extended footage you'll recognise from the debut trailer. There's also a video dev diary from Lead Implementation Designer, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Project Lead Adam Badowski and others.
In other news, VG247 says CD Projekt's Spring Conference has confirmed console versions of The Witcher 2, although I can't verify the Polish source for myself. No surprise, though, I would say. Finally, VG247 has a handful of screens.
More information.

I don't know why they feel the need to implement a new combat system, I think they could have stuck with the same system and just improved it. For instance, no icon telling you when to swing, even on Normal difficulty, and more than just 5 signs.

Yes I was also suprised, but it seems that many people were complaining. Just look at codex, how many people wrote about "QTE" or "Simon Says" Combat system.

BTW the forest in those videos looks and feels amazing! :)

In other news, VG247 says CD Projekt's Spring Conference has confirmed console versions of The Witcher 2.

Good news, thank you. :)

At the risk of laughing at a codex joke... Simon says lol. So are did they finally make the combat a proper WASD + mouse aka Risen / Gothic?

I watched some of those vids and low and behold the game play looks like its now 60% time spent in cut scenes. I thought the first one was bad. Yeah I'll pass.

Some people cheated themselves out of an incredible experience because they didn't play The Witcher long enough to really get it.

I liked the combat of the first game :(

(Well... thinking about it, Iliked pretty much everything in the Witcher... combat, sex cards, dwarven profanities...)

Some people cheated themselves out of an incredible experience because they didn't play The Witcher long enough to really get it.

I actually played quite a bit of it. The last thing I remember was I had to go to some big party with some mucky mucks I got invited to. It was right before the game allowed me into the next penned in section of the city. I just got tired of all the backtracking, shepherding, the cut scenes and the lack of meaningful exploration. Don't get me wrong I liked the game other than those "faults". The combat did not make up for the other shortcomings. Great production values though.

I don't understand anyone complaining about the cutscenes. Overall, you spend less than 1% of the game watching cutscenes, and they're generally very good anyways. Also, complaining about backtracking doesn't make much sense either. The Witcher didn't have anymore backtracking than the average action-RPG. It was about on par with Gothic in that aspect. As far as exploration goes, it doesn't come close to matching up with a sandbox style RPG, but then again, it's not supposed to.

Last edited:
So are did they finally make the combat a proper WASD + mouse aka Risen / Gothic?

I really hope they didn't. That would kill the game for me.

They did the same with Summoner. Summoner 1 had quite a good combat system, they went the action road with pt. 2 and totally killed the game.

For some strange reason, I never really enjoyed TW. I can list various drawbacks and flaws, but none of them seem good enough to not enjoy it (most games I play have similar flaws).

It is actually one of very few RPGs I've played that I don't think I completed. I think I ended near the end, chapter.. 4? 5? I don't remember. I completed several "sections" of the city.

This looks good enough to make me try the first one again.

Still, I know it's not for me, but I'd like the story if they figured out how to make a decent game for the sequel ;)

I believe that the first game was more that decent. Sure, it had a couple of shortcomings, and maybe the combat system wasn't to everyone's liking, but nevertheless, it was an excellent RPG. Don't forget it was a debut title for the developer. If CDPR manage to improve on the core of what I liked about the previous game - story, atmosphere, city adventures - I'll be hooked.

In fact they've forgotten to show how entering buildings looks like. There won't be loading screens anymore.

Also, they didn't confirm a console version of the game. But they didn't deny it either. They don't have experience in making games for consoles and that might be the reason they're hesitating.

I don't know how much there was said in English, so I'll highlight some of the interesting features they mentioned during the conference:
1. You'll be able to play TW2 on a gamepad.
2. Geralt will be able to jump over obstacles or climb.
3. Your inventory will affect the image of Geralt; you'll see some of the stuff you have on Geralt's back, or by his belt.
4. Dialogues will now be more active, characters will move, and there will be an option for other characters to join the conversation.
5. In some situations there will be a time limit for you to choose an option in the conversation. If you exceed it the game will choose for you the "default" one (predefined by the devs :)). This will happen only in situations where normally Geralt would have to react quickly, not stand for 10 minutes thinking over all conversation options :) Although it's still not known how much time we'll have to choose.
6. Although the game is going to be more action based, there will be options for you to solve problems without Geralt taking out his sword :) The game is still meant to be a typical RPG.
7. Loading time for different places will be largely reduced in comparison to the firt game. No loading screens when entering buildings.
8. Fighting seems to be WASD + mouse based.
9. Loot from dead enemies will be shown on the screen without opening the inventory.
10. As for the fighting, there will no more be strong, fast, group styles. There will be a variety of different hits, that you can combine freely. Some sequencies may have specific effects; they mentioned that "fast-fast-strong" sequence will effect in knocking down the enemy. Geralt will no more automatically block or parry; we'll do this manually.
11. The game is 60% done.
12. The devs stated, that the story of new game will be its strongest point. They think it's better than the one in the first game.
13. The amount of fighting you see in the 4th part of gameplay was not intended; devs meant to show only one or two fights. So, don't think the game will be mostly about killing monsters.
14. They are not sure how many hours TW2 may take. In the conference they said "It depends on the player" :)

I don't understand anyone complaining about the cutscenes. Overall, you spend less than 1% of the game watching cutscenes, and they're generally very good anyways.

The point isn't really cutscenes but how sometimes they are badly mixed with the gameplay. The original whining is certainly coming from the bad mix of cutscenes and first boss fight.

Back
Top Bottom