Anyone playing GW2?

If it's an Nvidia card, it may have a GW2 game profile it's applying graphical settings for (AA, anisotropic filtering, v-sync, etc) every time you launch the executable. Perhaps the profile is faulty and you need to disable this?

It really is a shame you cannot play this because GW2 is the best MMO I've played in years

Sounds to me like it might be the video card or the drivers. If it freezes at the exact same place - then it might be trying to render or DO something that your setup doesn't like. If it freezes at random - then it could be heat or power related.

Unfortunately, it can be so many things - and I'm usually very hands-on when I diagnose issues.

As for GW2 - you're not really missing much. Well, I guess if you enjoy super casual gameplay that takes almost no effort or investment - it might be good :)

Yeah sounds like Video drivers or possibly even audio. If you haven't tried disabling your sound card give that a shot too. Try different driver versions etc. I have a similar problem in ME2 that I have never managed to fix - even with a fresh windows install and nothing else installed.

Disabled the sound early on to no effect. I'm seriously considering buying a new video card later this week and doubling my ram from 4 to 8. Looking at a GTX 660 2GB. It would replace my current GT 220.

Disabled the sound early on to no effect. I'm seriously considering buying a new video card later this week and doubling my ram from 4 to 8. Looking at a GTX 660 2GB. It would replace my current GT 220.

Try going back to much older drivers - or try and set everything on lowest settings.

If you're upgrading to >4GB RAM, make sure you have a 64-bit system.

As for your issue, the first thing I would have asked you about would have been video drivers but since you indicated your son had "updated everything which could be updated", I thought it might have been something else.

Just got the game, installing now.

Heading to Devona's Rest, my wife made an account on that server so it looks like that's my GW2 home away from home.

Pity, I'm on the Darkhaven Server.

You could always use guesting! Well, unless you want to do WvW.

Where are the majority of 'Watch players living?

While I made a char on Devona's due to my wife being there, I have no loyalty to that server at all because despite us both being ardent gamers we seldom if ever actually play games together. We are totally different types of gamers.

I am on Yak's Bend. Am a member of The Older Gamers, which is large international guild and decided to go with them on a US server despite living in the UK. Seems to work OK. Not playing much right now, but bound to get back into it at some stage and level up another toon.

Some aspects of GW2 are totally awesome, especially the early levelling, but I think they made a bit of a screw up of itemisation, crafting etc. and later on at 80 everyone ended up farming the same locations. Probably on balance I preferred GW1, since I'm basically a solo player and loved playing around with party builds - the number of skills and builds in GW1 is huge.

Also although the RvR PvP sounded good on paper, it's not as fun as it might have been - lots of moving around with no action and zerg vs zerg.

A friend of mine plays the crap out of this game. He sent me a code for the game. I told him I really dont care for online games, and I didnt like the first GW game. But he said try it. I did and I have to admit it isnt bad, although far from my favorite. We are playing Sylvari engineers. The one issue I have though is that all sylvari engineers end up with all the same skills. Some more variety would be nice. We play on Jade Quarry server and we use voice chat, which I never used before. i bought a headset and what a difference! Much more fun. Although I see there are still juvenile shitheads who like to jump in on voicechat and say stupid things. Totally ignoring them has worked so far though. But I hope it doesnt get worse.

A friend of mine plays the crap out of this game. He sent me a code for the game. I told him I really dont care for online games, and I didnt like the first GW game. But he said try it. I did and I have to admit it isnt bad, although far from my favorite. We are playing Sylvari engineers. The one issue I have though is that all sylvari engineers end up with all the same skills. Some more variety would be nice. We play on Jade Quarry server and we use voice chat, which I never used before. i bought a headset and what a difference! Much more fun. Although I see there are still juvenile shitheads who like to jump in on voicechat and say stupid things. Totally ignoring them has worked so far though. But I hope it doesnt get worse.

Haven't played Engineer beyond the beta, but with most other classes you have a choice of different weapons that give you different play styles and there are quite a lot of different viable builds. You can easily set up your own private chat channels on something like teamspeak, of course.

Use Skype to avoid interference from jerks. While I like GW2, I don't find it anywhere near as good as DDO, but it certainly is better for straight solo play.

Anyone tried the Super Adventure Box?

Oh and if you don't want to use Skype, you can make private group in Raidcall (it's free).

You'll be very happy with an upgrade. GT 220 is a shabby card even by 2006 standards. ;)

Haven't played Engineer beyond the beta, but with most other classes you have a choice of different weapons that give you different play styles and there are quite a lot of different viable builds. You can easily set up your own private chat channels on something like teamspeak, of course.

We use Mumble and a private server for the guild so that is not an issue any longer. I understand about the weapons and the play styles i just wish there was a larger variety of skills. ALL engineers have the same skills. Just a minor issue. Hopefully more skills will be added in the future?

In a moment of boredom, I decided to try this again - because I always wanted to experience the exploration of the great areas and content.

Guess what? I've been unfair and downright wrong about the game.

No, it's not wrong to dislike it - but I claimed that it'd be dead after a few months, and it's anything but dead. Lots of people playing - and now I understand why.

I've completely changed my mind about it. Not sure if it's because I've changed or I'm just approaching it from a different angle.

It has "clicked" for me - and I must have spent a good 30-40 hours playing in the past week. For whatever reason, I now enjoy that it's highly accessible and that it rewards you for everything you do.

I used to consider it way too casual and superficial - but it's really more the case of it just being generous. It's definitely no more superficial than the MMO norm - and if it's more casual, I consider that a refreshing change from the past few MMOs I've played.

But the most impressive thing, to me, has been the amazing combat system and the overall feel of just playing the game at its core. It's so delightfully smooth and responsive and there are really no MMOs that can compare. I never gave it the chance to impress me with these things - but now that I like what it's trying to do, I'm able to appreciate some of the very strong qualities the game has to offer.

The exploration I always liked, but I never realised just how much unique stuff each and every area seems to offer. There's so much to discover and wonder at if you take your time and talk to NPCs. Lots and lots of small hidden details that many will likely never see.

I love their approach to crafting and gathering materials - because you never feel it's a waste of time. I especially like the discovery system and something like Cooking is great fun because of the amount of combinations.

Oh, the game has flaws - and I still don't like the PvP implementation. WvW is not designed for someone like myself who wants to be an individual and who wants to stand out. It's probably great if you play with a large guild and you don't mind zerg vs zerg fights - but I consider those boring as hell.

sPvP is pointless without some kind of meaningful progression - and winning in small instanced areas with no connection to the world is just not for me. Not at length, anyway.

But the PvE is wonderful and the classes all feel and look great. I love the active combat. Legendary weapons are excessively cool to look at - and they do take an appropriate amount of effort to get. They've handled it the right way - because when you do get your hands on a legendary - it will automatically stay up to date with the most powerful gear in the game. Meaning that, unlike games like WoW, your effort will always be worth it.

Anyway, just wanted to say this - because I've been quite harsh towards the game in the past, and I was obviously not in the right mode to enjoy it.

DArt? Is that you? o_O

and yep you were wrong about it being dead after a few weeks. People are just more spread out now...or camp boss chests.

Well, I did say 3 months - but I was definitely wrong. I think it's one of the most popular MMOs around still.

Of course, it's still nothing like WoW - which they probably wanted to beat, but I guess no one can beat it.

Back
Top Bottom