• 12 GB Hard Drive Space
  • Recommended :
    • Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    • CPU: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo 2,4 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    • 1 GB RAM (Win XP), 1.5 GB (Win7)
    • NVIDIA GeForce 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870
    • 12 GB Hard Drive Space
More information.

How could they leave out the single most important spec? Internet connection speed, and reliability of connection.

How could they leave out the single most important spec? Internet connection speed, and reliability of connection.

Why is that important? Presumably you don't need it after you've authenticated on battle.net.

The overall requirements are quite low for a game that won't be released until 2012, but I find the need for 12GB hard drive space somewhat surprising.

Why is that important? Presumably you don't need it after you've authenticated on battle.net.

You need to be online all the time to play the game, including in single player session and you can only make 10 characters (all of them are save on b.net servers).

Blizzard told people to go play other games if they couldn't have their internet connection up all the time.

You need to be online all the time to play the game, including in single player session and you can only make 10 characters (all of them are save on b.net servers).

Blizzard told people to go play other games if they couldn't have their internet connection up all the time.

Jesus can we get over this? It's 2011 going on 2012. Everyone's computer has been connected to the frigging internet all the time for a while now. Yes, you have to play other games while you're physically in an airplane or something. Listen I'm old enough to remember when games started requiring you to use a mouse even when I could clearly see how they could have implemented them with my preferred keyboard-only setup. But then I got over it because welcome to the present.

ONLY 10 characters? Those rat bastards. Obviously they're trying to get you to pay for the game 5 times so you can have the 50 characters you need to enjoy the game properly.

Jesus can we get over this? It's 2011 going on 2012. Everyone's computer has been connected to the frigging internet all the time for a while now. Yes, you have to play other games while you're physically in an airplane or something. Listen I'm old enough to remember when games started requiring you to use a mouse even when I could clearly see how they could have implemented them with my preferred keyboard-only setup. But then I got over it because welcome to the present.

ONLY 10 characters? Those rat bastards. Obviously they're trying to get you to pay for the game 5 times so you can have the 50 characters you need to enjoy the game properly.

err you need to get off your high horse m8.

They are forcing you have active internet connection because they *can* and not because the game will somehow *benefit* from it. Why the hell you need an internet connection if you only plan to play by yourself?

I am all for forced to move to new tech if it somehow benefits me but not otherwise.

Well I'm pretty sure that Blizzard thinks that the game will significantly benefit from a required internet connection and that they are willing to lose a few buyers in order to give a better experience to the majority. They may not be correct about this, it's certainly a controversial move and I can understand why some people are upset about it. But to claim that they are doing this "because they can" misses the big picture.

Regarding system requirements, Blizzard games pretty much always have low requirements. They tend to be more about optimization then bleeding edge graphics.

And online games don't usually give internet connection requirements. I'm sure you will be fine as long as your not on dial up (but maybe even then, one of my friends used to play WoW on dial up and he was fine as long as he stayed away from giant groups of other players).
err you need to get off your high horse m8.

They are forcing you have active internet connection because they *can* and not because the game will somehow *benefit* from it. Why the hell you need an internet connection if you only plan to play by yourself?

I am all for forced to move to new tech if it somehow benefits me but not otherwise.

IMPORTANT UPDATE! These specs were just updated!

Worthplaying has the system reqs for Diablo III:
System Requirements:
  • Minimum :
    • Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    • CPU: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo 2,8 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    • NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT or ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
    • 12 GB Hard Drive Space
    • Underdeveloped cerebral cortex
  • Recommended :
    • Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    • CPU: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo 2,4 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    • NVIDIA GeForce 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870
    • 12 GB Hard Drive Space
    • No sex life

I have an internet connection and I would not be prevented from playing Diablo 3. However, I advocate on behalf of my less fortunate counterparts not just in Asia, Europe and South America, but right here in North America: No, not everyone has a reliable highspeed internet connection. I doubt even 75% of the people who want to play Diablo 3 have a regular, reliable, consistent internet connection.

Beyond that, their bloody arrogance is just annoying. As someone more eloquent pointed out, what if Lulzsec (sp?) crashes Battlenet for three days? Or on a more regular basis? If Battlenet is down their software becomes useless. If your phone line is down, their software becomes useless. If you're traveling, etc. etc.

Ah, well, that's all right because they have a bloody good reason to restrict single-player to online only, right? In my opinion they do not.

Beyond that, their bloody arrogance is just annoying. As someone more eloquent pointed out, what if Lulzsec (sp?) crashes Battlenet for three days? Or on a more regular basis? If Battlenet is down their software becomes useless. If your phone line is down, their software becomes useless. If you're traveling, etc. etc.
Not buying but that would be hilarious if Lulzsec or someone else hacked battle.net causing the system to go down for a few days. Especially in the first week of release. The rage from that would be delectable.

But yeah Blizzard is just being an asshole lately with their games, and I think a lot of it has to do with the Activision merger. I'm kind of skeptical this will even be a good game if what I've seen and heard about it is true.

Linear corridors/areas (No skipping content to get to the bosses so no open areas)
No class building (Everybody just builds the same way in Diablo 2 so lets remove the feature instead of fixing it so there are other viable builds)
Only 4 hotkeys for abilities (cmon WoW has a ton but gotta make it easy to fit onto a controller)
Probably a low number of active skills since there are only 4 hotkeys.

Probably a low number of active skills since there are only 4 hotkeys.

Looks like there are about 20-25 active skills per class, each of which can be modified in 6 different ways, which frequently (but not always) completely change the way in which the skill works. So effectively it's about 100+ active skillls per class.

I've seen people talk about open areas, so I'm pretty sure the lack of open areas is untrue. But if you have a source for that I'd be curious to see it, I could be wrong.

And finally If hackers ever brought down battlenet for an extended period, it would completely screw over WoW and Starcraft as well. Hasn't happened yet, I doubt it ever will. But who knows. A more realistic concern would be just your own personal connection going down.

Edit: Oh and it's 8 abilities that you can have at a time, not 4.

Last edited:
The same kind of debate raged when publishers first started selling games by digital distribution only.

That's (almost) accepted now.

If World of Warcraft and Starcraft II are any indication, even the worst, remote wireless connection will be enough to play Diablo III. I live in (very) rural Montana and have no trouble with Blizzard games.

Back
Top Bottom