The Top 12 Video Game Soundtracks @ Forbes

No Gothic 3, Deus Ex 3, Age of Conan, Skyrim, and so on?

Mass Effect music is vastly superior to Dragon Age, in my opinion.

Can't say the list is one I agree with, but at least they have WoW and Arcanum there.

No Baldur's Gate II? No Realms of Arcania?

No sense.

I guess the nostalgia alterates the taste, odd list but at least have it right with Arcanum, still if I saw in the list mention of Gothic 3 and especialy Is Nomine Vacans I would%

what no Turrican 2, the worst list ever!

But seriously, this list is particularly crappy - 12 soundtracks which apparently got more than one (!) mention on few channels + no attempt to describe what might make these soundtracks good.
The reasoning for including Dragon Age, but not Mass Effects is hilarious.
Pointless.

at least they have WoW and Arcanum there.
I´ve always found Arcanum´s soundtrack a somewhat curious case.
The use of string quartet is original and gives the game a very distinct audio identity and the tunes themselves come with some nice and usually not run-off-the-mill melodies, yet I´m finding it one of the most annoying soundtracks in an RPG - it doesn´t feel like a particularly fitting audio underpinning of the setting to me and, more importantly, the arrangements are repetitive and most of the tracks have a sorta drowsy vibe, which results in me wanting to go to sleep after a while :).

I´ve always found Arcanum´s soundtrack a somewhat curious case.The use of string quartet is original and gives the game a very distinct audio identity and the tunes themselves come with some nice and usually not run-off-the-mill melodies, yet I´m finding it one of the most annoying soundtracks in an RPG - it doesn´t feel like a particularly fitting audio underpinning of the setting to me and, more importantly, the arrangements are repetitive and most of the tracks have a sorta drowsy vibe, which results in me wanting to go to sleep after a while :).

Yeah, I can appreciate that - and I partially agree. It kinda dominates rather than supports the game.

Also, when I think of Arcanum music - it's always the main title sequence that I'm remembering. THAT particular piece of music was so powerful and so unique - and it did serve as a fantastic underpinning for the setting - but probably only because you're not playing while it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

I think the main quality is that it's so melancholy and so fitting with the steampunk/victorian era atmosphere. It really promises a game that's not just fast food entertainment, but wants to do something more.

In any case, it had a significant effect on me - and I have to give it credit for that.

I´ve always found Arcanum´s soundtrack a somewhat curious case.
The use of string quartet is original and gives the game a very distinct audio identity and the tunes themselves come with some nice and usually not run-off-the-mill melodies, yet I´m finding it one of the most annoying soundtracks in an RPG - it doesn´t feel like a particularly fitting audio underpinning of the setting to me and, more importantly, the arrangements are repetitive and most of the tracks have a sorta drowsy vibe, which results in me wanting to go to sleep after a while :).

I have a similar opinion regarding the Arcanum soundtrack. It is true that the string quartet does give it a unique and distinct sound yet I also feel that it is not always as effective as a soundtrack.

I would have strongly preferred to hear more variety in instrumentation in order to better represent the contrasts in the world of Arcanum.

THAT particular piece of music was so powerful and so unique - and it did serve as a fantastic underpinning for the setting - but probably only because you're not playing while it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

I think the main quality is that it's so melancholy and so fitting with the steampunk/victorian era atmosphere. It really promises a game that's not just fast food entertainment, but wants to do something more.
Agreed.

I like pretty much all of the tracks on their own, yet in-game the music becomes detrimental to the experience quite fast for me. As I said, a curious case :).

I think the main quality is that it's so melancholy and so fitting with the steampunk/victorian era atmosphere.

I find it strange that many people claim that the music gives them a Victorian feel. The game is set in the late 19th century and the music does not sound as if it came from that era. In fact, the composer himself has stated that the composition was based on earlier styles.

A quote from the composer Ben Houge:
The first thing I was told about Arcanum was the central conflict of the game: magic versus technology. This idea was so interesting and unique that I considered carefully how to best reflect it in the music. I presented a couple of ideas to the guys at Troika, and we finally settled on a sort of musical anachronism: a score centered around the styles and textures of Renaissance, medieval, and early music, but performed by a characteristic ensemble of the Victorian era, the string quartet. This dichotomy is most evident in the main Arcanum theme, but it shows up more obliquely in the chant-like melodies and motives that recur throughout the score, as well as in the texture and motion of the individual parts. (For example, notice the main theme of "The Caladon Catacombs" and the "Towns" music.) In my writing, I've avoided the virtuosic ornamentation and extremes of tessitura that characterize much Romantic-era string quartet literature, turning instead to the counterpoint and phrasing of early polyphony. Obviously, some of the pieces stray from this original conception, usually for dramatic reasons, but it served as a fruitful point of departure.

I find it strange that many people claim that the music gives them a Victorian feel. The game is set in the late 19th century and the music does not sound as if it came from that era. In fact, the composer himself has stated that the composition was based on earlier styles.

I didn't say it sounded like it came from that era - but that it felt like very appropriate music for the setting of the game.

There's no such thing as a Steampunk era - and yet there's music that feels more fitting to that setting.

It's the same with the Victorian "feel" - and I think the Arcanum music fits incredibly well - at least with my vision of the Victorian era in a "steampunkian" fashion.

Can't say I'm too concerned with whether it's actually from that period of time.

Are you going to think I'm strange because I think the music from the movie 2001 is fitting as well, and that it probably made the music in Elite (the game) even more appropriate?

A quote from the composer Ben Houge:
The first thing I was told about Arcanum was the central conflict of the game: magic versus technology. This idea was so interesting and unique that I considered carefully how to best reflect it in the music. I presented a couple of ideas to the guys at Troika, and we finally settled on a sort of musical anachronism: a score centered around the styles and textures of Renaissance, medieval, and early music, but performed by a characteristic ensemble of the Victorian era, the string quartet. This dichotomy is most evident in the main Arcanum theme, but it shows up more obliquely in the chant-like melodies and motives that recur throughout the score, as well as in the texture and motion of the individual parts. (For example, notice the main theme of "The Caladon Catacombs" and the "Towns" music.) In my writing, I've avoided the virtuosic ornamentation and extremes of tessitura that characterize much Romantic-era string quartet literature, turning instead to the counterpoint and phrasing of early polyphony. Obviously, some of the pieces stray from this original conception, usually for dramatic reasons, but it served as a fruitful point of departure.

It seems the Victorian era was specifically considered as well. So, if the composer deliberately wanted to channel something of that era - are you truly so shocked that people would find the music appropriate for that kind of feel?

I didn't say it sounded like it came from that era - but that it felt like very appropriate music for the setting of the game.

There's no such thing as a Steampunk era - and yet there's music that feels more fitting to that setting.

It's the same with the Victorian "feel" - and I think the Arcanum music fits incredibly well - at least with my vision of the Victorian era in a "steampunkian" fashion.
OK, fair enough. Perhaps a distinction is to be made between "fitting in terms of atmosphere" and "historically representative of an era".

Are you going to think I'm strange because I think the music from the movie 2001 is fitting as well
Of course not, why would I? C'mon, you are underestimating me.

It seems the Victorian era was specifically considered as well.
It is in the instrumentation, not the style. Although they could have gone perfectly with full orchestra as well, which is also a trademark of the 19th century. (And people would most likely still say it gives them a Victorian feel).

So, if the composer deliberately wanted to channel something of that era -
are you truly so shocked that people would find the music appropriate for that kind of feel?
No, "shocked" is not the correct word.

But I cannot help but think the following: People hear string quartet —> they associate it with classical music from an earlier century —> Arcanum is set in a Victorian setting —> Victorian setting coincides with the 19th century —> Consequently, the music must sound Victorian.

Perhaps I am wrong about how people make that connection but I have read so many times that the music sounds Victorian.

It is like hearing Bach played with electrical guitars and then saying it gives you a 70's Rock feel :). Or hearing the Stones being played with a church organ and say it gives you a Baroque feel :).

Last edited:
Off the top of my head

Kings Bounty: The Legend / Armored Princess
Total Annihilation
X3: Reunion / Terran Conflict
Icewind Dale
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Spot on.
I'd add all the Heroes of Might and Magic games.
And Deus Ex 3.
And Legacy of Kain series, obviously =D

@Asdra

People tend to associate things based on what they've personally experienced - rather than what's historically appropriate.

So, while I'm sure there are people out there who might consider the Arcanum music historically representative of the Victorian era - I think most are simply talking about the atmosphere and the emotional connection. Especially because it's a fictional universe without a direct historical parallel.

Hopefully, people don't confuse atmosphere with history. I certainly hope I don't. For my part, I've never actually considered whether the Arcanum soundtrack was truly representative of the Victorian era. I've never had a reason to, until now :)

So, we might be underestimating each other :)

In any case, I guess it's the sort of thing you care about if you have a specific interest in history and music. Personally, I gave up expecting entertainment to be my history teacher a long, long time ago.

Maybe if the game was supposed to be a plausible representation of a specific period of history, I might be more inclined to understand your confusion.

Despite how much I liked Chrono Trigger, I could never get into Chrono Cross. It was just too different and didn't feel like a real sequel to me. And those PS1 3D graphics…ugh.

I'm amazed that Square never developed another game in that series considering the huge cult following that Chrono Trigger still has.

I played Chrono Cross and nearly finished it. I thought it was pretty good. Not on the same level as Chrono Trigger for me, but I thought overall they did a pretty good job with the game.

I would love a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger though. Hell, I'll take any game in the Chrono universe at this point. It really is amazing that they haven't made another Chrono game yet. Makes no sense to me.

I played Chrono Cross and nearly finished it. I thought it was pretty good. Not on the same level as Chrono Trigger for me, but I thought overall they did a pretty good job with the game.

How good can it really be if you didn't even finish it? ;)

I still have my original PS1 copy, and I've always meant to give it another try. Maybe I'll see how it runs and looks on ePSXe.

How good can it really be if you didn't even finish it? ;)

I still have my original PS1 copy, and I've always meant to give it another try. Maybe I'll see how it runs and looks on ePSXe.

Honestly, I haven't finished more RPGs than I have finished. I usually get bored of games after awhile and that means never finishing them. I usually get close to the end too and just burn out.

I think I played it on ePSXe. The original game goes for over $50 on Ebay I think so I just used a ROM, hooked my laptop up to my LCD TV and played it that way. It really didn't look too bad but I'm not very picky at all when it comes to graphics. The sound was top notch, the story was very cool, the characters were pretty cool (there might be too many of them in the long run though - it has a sort of Suikoden feel where you can recruit a bunch of different people), and the atmosphere of the game was pretty nice. Definitely worth a play.

Where the heck are Skyrim, Morrowind, Civ 4 and Civ 5? Those are my all time favorites.

Civ 4's "Baba Yetu" actually won a grammy last year making video game history so I'm really surprised it didn't make the list at all. It is one of my favorites. Wont complain to much as they did have some good ones but Civ4 was a major miss.

They left out so many other great soundtracks.

A few I can think of:

Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Colony Wars
Persona 4
Morrowind

But I am surprised Arcanum made it - not because it isn't great but because it seems so far from the mainstreams compared to their other selections.

Back
Top Bottom