Hellgate London - Bill Roper on A Rough Launch

magerette

Hedgewitch
CVG posts an excerpt from a paper article in the February issue of PCZone magazine which features Flagship Studio's CEO Bill Roper discussing the rough early release days of Hellgate:
"I think that people had incredibly high expectations that we simply didn't meet", Flagship boss Bill Roper has admitted in an interview with PC Zone on Hellgate: London.

Looking back the RPG was surrounded by hefty anticipation due to it hailing from the team responsible for the Diablo series, but it ended up experiencing a rocky launch last year, blighted by major bugs.

"...we simply tried to do too much with the game", Roper says in retrospect...Rather than try to shove responsibility for the rough launch onto others, the CEO says Flagship will take the blame for not getting enough testing done...However, he adds that the issues when the game launched were less to do with the total months of testing - "which were numerous" - and more to do with the vast number of issues that came up right at the end.
More information.

For one there isn't enough in the game unlike what he says about them doing too much. Other games I have played (even from small developers) have much more than this game.

I was a tester on this game and they ignored a lot of major problems that had been problems for awhile and not right at the end. An example of this is the problems with the robot you get as an engineer which had long topics long before I became a tester.

LOL. I never use acronyms but I just couldn't help it this time. The rough early launch of a mediocre game?

People had high anticipation because in most previews they keep hyping the game and mentioned Diablo repeatedly.

People had high anticipation because in most previews they keep hyping the game and mentioned Diablo repeatedly.

Amazon Germany is an most infamous example for this. The very first reader previews/reviews were ... BEEEP

My favourite from that (translated):

"A game by Bill Roper ... there is no bad game by Bill Roper and I don't believe that there will ever be one.
I believe it's enough to look at the preceding titles."

That Reviewer compared Hellgate - although he seemed not to have played it at that point - to the works by Blizzard.

I think the additional content looks interesting though and has plenty of potential. Some interesting locations and stories would really add to this game.

Exactly - the hype came from one place: Flagship. They have no one to blame but themselves for pushing it.

Nobody is going to say our game is shit don't play it no matter if it is true. Everybody hypes their own games and that's been in the gaming industry since home computers.

Back
Top Bottom