RTX 2080 ti specs leaked?

Depends on what you’re doing. I’ve done a few mod sessions for skyrim that have brought my Titan x (pascal) to its knees.

If they gives us the power we’ll find a way to use it all.:biggrin:

You sure you weren't getting cpu-bound? These days, the usual culprit in low frames while playing in an antiquated Bethesda engine is the largely single-core architecture and lots of scripts running in the background.

On topic, my 1070 is more than enough for probably another 3 or 4 years.

These are way too expensive. I'm still good with my 1060, so I'll skip this generation (unless I win the lottery). I'll wait to see what AMD has to offer, though.

I've been engaging with the tech community quite a bit in regards to this newer generation.

There's a lot of marketing jargon being thrown around but the general consensus among a lot of the enthusiasts and consumers is that they perceive the 2XXX generation as not having as big of a performance boost as they would have liked.

I'm inclined to agree.

German Magazine PC Games hardware tested out Shadow of the Tomb Raider on a RTX 2080 Ti, scoring 30-60 FPS on a 1080p display with ray tracing active. Unfortunately:

1. The build of Shadow of the Tomb Raider is not the final version
2. It's not running on drivers optimized for the final build, which is yet unreleased anyway
3. This isn't a benchmark

Ray tracing itself seems to be a massive performance hit, but without the necessary drivers and full release versions, we can only speculate what the end result will be.

Now, my concern with this new generation of cards is the massive price jump. Previous Ti models often were a $50-100 price increase over past generations. The 1080 Ti saw a slight nudge from $650 to $700 in comparison to the 980 Ti.

The 2080 Ti shot up from $700 to $1000. Whether that's the cost of ray tracing technology being incorporated or not, who knows. Regardless, we still need to see benchmarks. Until then, real time ray tracing is a great addition to games that unfortunately won't be truly realized until 2-3 years from now, at which point the 2080 cards will be outdone by newer, better cards.

I considered upgrading, but the massive price hike and unknown benchmarks keep me wary, and I get the feeling that the 2XXX line is built more for ray tracing implementation and is their primary focus, rather than a performance boost. I may transition from my usual "upgrade-every-two-generations" plan to "upgrade-every-three-generations" if prices continue to sail north.

You sure you weren't getting cpu-bound? These days, the usual culprit in low frames while playing in an antiquated Bethesda engine is the largely single-core architecture and lots of scripts running in the background.

Good point, I didn’t even consider that. Although my processors no slouch either 5930k@5ghz.

No matter I’ll be building an i9 9900, 2080ti setup when everything’s released.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/resident-evil-2-remake-will-support-nvidia-rtx-technology/
Although NVIDIA has not announced whether Resident Evil 2 Remake will be taking advantage of its RTX technogloy, Digital Foundry’s John Linneman revealed that it will actually be using it and that a PC version with RTX was available at Gamescom 2018.
Don't care about that game at all, it's nice to hear another developer is into the new tech. PC tech. :)

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-features-detailed-games/
NVIDIA RTX Features Detailed for BFV, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, Control, and More Games

Games that will feature real-time ray tracing include the following, with more to come:
Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos Simulazioni/505 Games
Atomic Heart from Mundfish
Battlefield V from EA/DICE
Control from Remedy Entertainment/505 Games
Enlisted from Gaijin Entertainment/Darkflow Software
Justice from NetEase
JX3 from Kingsoft
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries from Piranha Games
Metro Exodus from 4A Games
ProjectDH from Nexon’s devCAT Studio
Shadow of the Tomb Raider from Square Enix/Eidos-Montréal/Crystal Dynamics/Nixxes
I'm pretty sure there was no pot this morning, yet I'm extatic!

Nvidia just posted a performance tease, comparing the 1080 and the 2080.

TuringVsPascal_EditorsDay_Aug22_v3-2.png

Unfortunately:

1. This doesn't tell us much
2. It may be a cherry picked graph
3. No Ti comparisons

I'd be wary and wait for true third party benchmarks first.

My next graphics card will be whatever the top of the line one is for laptops now. I'm thinking my current one will last me at least another couple of years for games.

And in no way am I willing to pay a premium for some fancy but unproven tech that Nvidia is promoting. It sounds like another "hairworks" thing, where only the very top end graphic cars and set ups will be able to run it satisfactorily...and I'm not exactly broken up about not seeing fine details of hair flying about in the wind. *grumble* :p

We'll definitely need to wait for a month or two after release to really get solid numbers. The first round of drivers always seem to have odd quirks so you end up having a hand full of games that actually perform worse under the new system.

The first videos (especially Tomb Raider's) seemed pretty weak to me. Here's a better one for Atomic Heart starting at a slide talking about current tech issues or you can jump to 4:10 to see the graphics. RTX On and Off makes a huge difference. The question is, will it make a huge difference in framerate?

On price, it really looks like the 80's are taking over the Titan slot now. I think 70's are going to be the new top-end card with 80's only going to people who are fairly rich and not interested in staying that way. ;)

48fps is plenty and it makes the eyebrows look better! But will it work under 3D Vision??

My next graphics card will be whatever the top of the line one is for laptops now. I'm thinking my current one will last me at least another couple of years for games.

And in no way am I willing to pay a premium for some fancy but unproven tech that Nvidia is promoting. It sounds like another "hairworks" thing, where only the very top end graphic cars and set ups will be able to run it satisfactorily…and I'm not exactly broken up about not seeing fine details of hair flying about in the wind. *grumble* :p
I agree as I would need a very good reason why I want to spend $700-1,000 just for one video card from my significant other. My money is better spent elsewhere nowadays.

Anyway.
As pricey as it is, the RTX 2080 offers features in games that simply aren’t possible with the RX Vega 64 – namely real-time ray tracing for more realistic lighting and shadows in games. That fact alone, not to mention the price, makes this versus bout a difficult one.

Sure, on paper, the RTX 2080 wins in almost every regard. But, that doesn’t account for what you actually need from a graphics card.

If you seek the absolute most up-to-date capabilities from your graphics card, then clearly the RTX 2080 – or even the slightly cheaper $599 (AU$899, about £451) RTX 2070 – is your ticket to the latest and greatest.

The RTX 2080 looks as if it’s going to burn through games at Ultra settings and 4K resolution, much less make them look better with ray tracing. However, if you simply want to be able to game at 1080p or even 1440p resolutions with the settings all the way cranked up, the RX Vega 64 is by far a more cost-effective way there.

So, even in 2018, the classic dichotomy between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards remains: splurge for Nvidia if you need the absolute latest and greatest, but AMD’s best will serve more mainstream gamers just as fine for far less.

As pricey as it is, the RTX 2080 offers features in games that simply aren’t possible with the RX Vega 64 – namely real-time ray tracing for more realistic lighting and shadows in games. That fact alone, not to mention the price, makes this versus bout a difficult one.

Sure, on paper, the RTX 2080 wins in almost every regard. But, that doesn’t account for what you actually need from a graphics card.

If you seek the absolute most up-to-date capabilities from your graphics card, then clearly the RTX 2080 – or even the slightly cheaper $599 (AU$899, about £451) RTX 2070 – is your ticket to the latest and greatest.

The RTX 2080 looks as if it’s going to burn through games at Ultra settings and 4K resolution, much less make them look better with ray tracing. However, if you simply want to be able to game at 1080p or even 1440p resolutions with the settings all the way cranked up, the RX Vega 64 is by far a more cost-effective way there.

So, even in 2018, the classic dichotomy between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards remains: splurge for Nvidia if you need the absolute latest and greatest, but AMD’s best will serve more mainstream gamers just as fine for far less.

Strange write up. If I just wanted to game at 1080p I don’t need something as pricey as a Vega 64 either.

A 1070 would be fine or even a 1060 if I don’t need high FPS either.

Also doing a quick search the Vega seems to be almost the same price as the 2070 will be? I’m assuming the 2070 will beat the Vega handily since the 1070ti runs neck and neck with it in most benches I’ve seen.

Anyway, for me personally I game on PC because I want to be on the bleeding edge. I want hairworks, Ray tracing, 4K, HDR, Dolby atmos, all the other tech buzz words, Tha ability to install insane amounts of mods and tweak my games to look better than they were ever intended to and do it all at 60+FPS.

I game on PC because I don’t want to be just mainstream.:) , but that’s just me.

Strange write up. If I just wanted to game at 1080p I don’t need something as pricey as a Vega 64 either.

A 1070 would be fine or even a 1060 if I don’t need high FPS either.

Also doing a quick search the Vega seems to be almost the same price as the 2070 will be? I’m assuming the 2070 will beat the Vega handily since the 1070ti runs neck and neck with it in most benches I’ve seen.

Anyway, for me personally I game on PC because I want to be on the bleeding edge. I want hairworks, Ray tracing, 4K, HDR, Dolby atmos, all the other tech buzz words, Tha ability to install insane amounts of mods and tweak my games to look better than they were ever intended to and do it all at 60+FPS.

I game on PC because I don’t want to be just mainstream.:) , but that’s just me.
Well I don't have extra cash to spend so I'll settle for mid-range. As playing games on high or Ultra with some options turned down doesn't bother me. It never did.

Anyway the link - https://www.techradar.com/news/nvid...-which-ultimate-graphics-card-is-best-for-you

The article is a day old and prices differ on every site for AMD cards.

This article suggests ray tracing isn't going to have the impact (at least not yet) that Nvidia is trying to make people believe it's going to have. It also claims that the
RTX 2080 might not provide a large performance increase in current games compared to existing GPUs.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ay-traced-hype-around-nvidias-rtx-2080-family

Now we come to RTX 2080. Its fill rate is actually slightly less than the GTX 1080. Its core count increase is smaller than either of the previous two generations. Its bandwidth increase is smaller. And those facts alone suggest that unless Nvidia managed to deliver the mother of all IPC improvements via rearchitecting its GPU core, the RTX 2080 family is unlikely to deliver a huge improvement in current games. This tentative conclusion is further strengthened by the company’s refusal to show any game data that didn’t focus on ray tracing this week.

I’m unwilling to declare the RTX 2080’s performance a settled question because numbers don’t always tell the whole story. When Nvidia overhauled its GPUs from Fermi to Kepler, it moved to a dramatically different architecture. The ability to predict performance as a result of comparing core counts and bandwidth broke as a result. I haven’t seen any information that Turing is as large a departure from Pascal as Kepler was from Fermi, but it’s always best to err on the side of caution until formal benchmark data is available. If Nvidia fundamentally reworked its GPU cores, it’s possible that the gains could be much larger than simple math suggests.

Nonetheless, simple math suggests the gains here are not particularly strong. When you combine that with the real-but-less-than-awe-inspiring gains from the incremental addition of ray tracing into shipping engines and the significant price increases Nvidia has tacked on, there’s good reason to keep your wallet in your pocket and wait and see how this plays out. But the only way the RTX 2080 is going to deliver substantial performance improvements above Pascal, over and above the 1.2x – 1.3x suggested by core counts and bandwidth gains, is if Nvidia has pulled off a huge efficiency gain in terms of how much work can be done per SM.

This article suggests ray tracing isn't going to have the impact (at least not yet) that Nvidia is trying to make people believe it's going to have. It also claims that the
RTX 2080 might not provide a large performance increase in current games compared to existing GPUs.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ay-traced-hype-around-nvidias-rtx-2080-family

Interesting, I hope it’s not true. Either way we’ll soon be flooded with reviews and benchmarks and can decide then.

You can get a 1070 or 1080 for $200 off if you are something or other with the verge from b&h. Do a google search if you really want one (no clue if they are still in stock).

This could be an opportunity for AMD, but the talk on their side is that there's not much in the pipeline for PC, because they've thrown the GPU teams into chips for the new consoles.

Back
Top Bottom