RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Metahuman facial animation
View Single Post

April 19th, 2021, 13:22
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
The level of realism we get these days is astounding.

I'm wondering what amount of data it requires for each face. Maybe too much for small indie studios but I wouldn't be surprised if face sets were sold as IPs, maybe of famous actors and characters.
It runs in the cloud, and I'm sure there's a huge amount of data processed behind the scenes. To start with it comes with 60 face types, and each one can be customised and morphed to some degree, to create original faces. The idea is that the shape for each face base type can be modified to a certain degree without creating problems, and 60 starting points give a wide range of possibilities. Then they can be exported and further edited in other software.

For indies, the facial performance capture can be done on an iPhone. I do think this has enormous potential for improving the standard of facial animation. It seems to be part of Epic's strategy for Unreal - you're only allowed to use it with Unreal games. And, TBH, Unreal is bringing so much to the table these days, it's almost a no-brainer in many cases.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)