RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Why the bad reviews?
View Single Post

November 1st, 2006, 21:45
Decisions in Rome is of a tactical nature, not a roleplaying one. The ones in Gothic are from a roleplaying perspective - "I'm the good paladin and want to save us all! Onward to glory", "I'm the evil necromancer and want nothing more than to gain power, Power, POWER!!!", "Aaah rats, who gives a crap anyway? I'll just screw them all and take what I want".

As for Planescape: Torment. Has it been long since you played it? The sidequests there have different ways to solve them(loads), even the game itself has different endings. In fact, you can even end the game without fighting the main boss at all. Trying to say that this is a world without any impact is way off - whether you help out mr. burnzz or not, how you solve the brothel quest, whether you are good or evil, all this has an impact on gameplay and characters in the world.

Baldurs Gate, PS:T, Fallout and so on all have worlds that I descripe - you can decide for yourself what kind of character you want to roleplay, and decisions you make will affect people in the gaming world.

So, no, my defintions are perfectly fine. You are just trying to ridicule me by claiming tactical decisions are anywhere near those I speak of. Of course they're not. I don't roleplay Command & Conquer just because I get to choose whether I want to be GDI or Nod. The decisions I speak of, and I honestly thought this was obvious, are decisions regarding how I want my character to be, who I want him to be. Is he evil? Is he good? Does he care about power, gold or honor? In Oblivion you can do everything in every game, without ever having to make a sacrifice(in other words, no decisions) - in PS:T you certainly have to make sacrifices (read the topic about PS:T in the general RPG forum where people talk about how they cried when they made a certain sacrifice in the game. I won't spoil anything else in this thread).

My point still stands - no decisions, no roleplaying. Roleplaying requires you to be able to solve a quest according to what kind of character you want to be, otherwise you get a forced character roleplayed by someone who wrote the game, not someone you personally want to be.

Edit: I just took the time to count endings in PS:T. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are eight different ways to end the game. Quite an impressive amount really.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander