Pathfinder, PoE2 or DoS2?

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I've been on an isometric tear lately. Finished Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity including expansions. I was going to try PoE2 next because I think the exploration faction of Pillars is pretty amazing and it feels like Baldurs Gate 1 more than any other title I've tried. How is exploration in Pathfinder? How does that compare? Just FYI I literally hated Baldurs Gate II although I completed it in the past including expansions. It felt more like a buff/debuff combat gauntlet simulator with marginal exploration. It had a good story but just a tiresome series of encounters. Just my opinion. Trying to avoid another BG2 experience. I like difficult encounters but I definitely enjoy exploration above all else. So Pathfinder, PoE2 or DoS2?

Interesting question.

My favorite of these three overall would be the two Pathfinder Games.

In term of exploration, I would say that Pathfinder is similar to PoE2 in term of exploration but with a larger map. The exploration is mostly on the strategic map while the tactical levels aren't that large. DoS2 got larger tactical maps with a lot to explore but not much on the strategic map.

I've been on an isometric tear lately. Finished Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity including expansions. I was going to try PoE2 next because I think the exploration faction of Pillars is pretty amazing and it feels like Baldurs Gate 1 more than any other title I've tried. How is exploration in Pathfinder? How does that compare? Just FYI I literally hated Baldurs Gate II although I completed it in the past including expansions. It felt more like a buff/debuff combat gauntlet simulator with marginal exploration. It had a good story but just a tiresome series of encounters. Just my opinion. Trying to avoid another BG2 experience. I like difficult encounters but I definitely enjoy exploration above all else. So Pathfinder, PoE2 or DoS2?

Interesting question indeed. I'd first say you can't go wrong with either choice but from what you said, I'd be cautious with Pathfinder (even though it's my preferred by a wide margin).

I've only played BG, not BG2, but I'm surprised you like it less because I thought it was similar to BG, even better from a story point of view.

What I can say though, is that Pathfinder: WotR uses a heavy buff/debuff system since it's a modified D&D 3.5, and the exploration is not without its share of encounters, but you can tune the difficulty settings to have fewer enemies in them. I never felt it was endless, but occasionally there are bigger battles than the other games.

The vast choice of classes, spells, abilities, plus the mythic paths is a lot to take in.

It's very rich in story, dialogues and companion depth which should weigh in the "exploration" side of the game, so I think you should find it to your liking, but it's a more complex system to learn, sometimes you'll have a series of combat, and some combats will require buffing/debuffing.

PoE2 is about the same quality regarding story, companions and exploration, but it tends to unload a lot of lore in dialogues sometimes. I didn't like the combat system, but you enjoyed PoE so it shouldn't be a problem, it's an evolution of PoE's ruleset.

It's probably the safest choice for you.

DOS:2 is completely different. Instead of smaller areas and a world map, it's a big area per act, which feels more like an open-world exploration; there's no world map. The combat encounters are reasonable but it's turn-based only so it will take more time in your gameplay. A few combats are quite long, but it's rare.

Their system uses a dual armour and plays a lot with area-of-effect spells, which is not to everyone's taste.

The story felt lighter but not by much, it's probably just the lore being less extensive than Pathfinder and PoE2. The style is lighter too, it's not easy to put in words but I'd say it's slightly caricatural and foolish.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a good game, I think all the patching might be done with now, so it should be stable. Pillars of Eternity two is simply outstanding, and I had a blast playing that, another hearty recommendation. Original Sin two, however, I didn't care for at all, I did manage to slog through it though most of it wasn't fun, and it's a game I'm not likely to ever replay, though I did enjoy the first game a lot.

I don't mind dealing with buffing/debuffing I just get exhausted by Dragons in every encounter. BG2 felt like a combat enounter simulator at times. Certainly less trash mobs than BG but very little build up. At the end its literally a gauntlet of challenges through every door in a hub and spoke. Thats what I didn't like about it.

All 4 (counting both Pathfinder games) are great games overall, but if you're just focusing on exploration, it felt to me like PoE2 had the worst exploration of them all. The world looked big, but there wasn't actually that much there.

Just to be clear I love the combat. I just prefer the "typical" game approach:
trash->trash->trash->miniboss->boss (PoE 1, DoS 1, BG)
vs.
boss>boss>boss>boss>boss (BG2)

:)

Well, in that case the Pathfinder games are pretty much like that.

I haven't finished WotR but Kingmaker has a very lengthy series of combats at the end which almost made me give up on the game. The kingdom management has a few periods of emptiness too because the player has to manage the kingdom for a while to unlock the next part. So between the two I'd advise WotR first.

Interesting opinion of BG2. Yes, it's not as open as BG1, but there's still a lot of exploration and normal trash mobs to go with it. In fact, one of the things I really liked about BG2 is how varied the bestiary is.

As for your question, I don't see any reason not to play PoE II since you just finished PoE. It's also the only one that lets you import your character from the previous game so that's an added bonus.

Unless you're feeling burned-out on that setting right now. When in doubt, always go with the setting that you feel you're in the mood for.

I disagree a bit, Stingray, concerning Pillars of Eternity two and exploration. Indeed, initially the world seems a bit smallish, yet once you've acquired ships there is a lot more to do and explore, you can lose yourself on the high seas.

BG2 didn't feel like that to me at all. Throne of Bhaal, maybe, but not the entire game.

Pathfinder: Wrath has varied encounters but imo it's the worst fit for what you want if you don't want every fight to be a big one. There are very few trivial fights in that game if you're playing on a reasonably high difficulty level, and it assumes that you're extensively buffing.

Ok I think I have to check out Pathfinder. Considering I’ve played the tabletop skipping it seems like a crime. Regarding BG2 maybe I’m thinking of Throne of Bhaal? I did play the expansion must be it! So Pathfinder sounds like the worst choice of the lot so naturally I’m going to pick it.

Kingmaker does have that House at the End of Time and then that long battle later one ... although they toned it down I heard in a patch.

I love both games though and hard for me to pick a favorite between them. Maybe WOTR simply because it is newer.

POE2 still has a warm place in my heart though, I really enjoyed it, even sailing the high seas was fun.

DOS2 ... great game I gave up on the last battle. Couldn't take it any longer. Won't ever touch it again.

I would say for a game with a ton of content that feels like a spiritual BG game I'd pick the first two Pathfinder games, followed by both PoE's, and then the Original Sin games.

Yes I'm not a huge fan of the Original Sin games either.:(

I would say for a game with a ton of content that feels like a spiritual BG game I'd pick the first two Pathfinder games, followed by both PoE's, and then the Original Sin games.

Yes I'm not a huge fan of the Original Sin games either.:(

I LOVED Original Sin. I just don't want to play the same series back to back so I'm going to sort of round robin the big 3. I'll probably play DoS2 next followed by POE2 then the new Pathfinder.

I LOVED Original Sin. I just don't want to play the same series back to back so I'm going to sort of round robin the big 3. I'll probably play DoS2 next followed by POE2 then the new Pathfinder.
Both Original Sin games aren't bad I just detest the humor, poor story, and huge amount of AOE. Original Sin 2 was an improvement but I still prefer the other four RPG's.

I liked Original Sin well enough but bounced off D:OS2 hard.

@ToddMcF2002; Look forward to hearing what you think about Kingmaker. I only played up to the point where the kingdom management stuff starts. I had mixed feelings about the game, but I plan on returning to it at some point.

Go with Kingmaker though not Wrath of the Righteous.

Out of curiosity, why would you advise that? I see Wrath as a big improvement, and if @ToddMcF2002; knows the ruleset already, there's no issue with the learning curve (I doubt it would be an issue for most of us anyway).

Perhaps so that he can play both games?

Kingmaker does have that House at the End of Time and then that long battle later one … although they toned it down I heard in a patch.

It's still terribly long and repetitive. And I played that part in RTwP, I can't imagine how it must feel in TB. Then it goes one shortly after with the remaining chapters. I loved the game overall but I will never play it again because of that.

But the atmosphere is different, it's not a crusade.

Back
Top Bottom