Divine Divinity - Matt Plays Divine Divinity

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Matt Barton posted a new "Matt Chat" video about Divine Divinity. Enjoy the retrospective video, but be warned it 's over 30 minutes.

More information.

I generally enjoy Matt Chat. And this is a nice review of Divine Divinity. But I think Matt does a great disservice by stating at the very beginning that DD is in the same vein as Diablo.

I can picture many people hearing just that and clicking the close button, ignoring the rest of the review and chalking this game up to just another Diablo clone. While having some similarities to Diablo, it certainly is not a Diablo clone.

I generally enjoy Matt Chat. And this is a nice review of Divine Divinity. But I think Matt does a great disservice by stating at the very beginning that DD is in the same vein as Diablo.

I can picture many people hearing just that and clicking the close button, ignoring the rest of the review and chalking this game up to just another Diablo clone. While having some similarities to Diablo, it certainly is not a Diablo clone.

I was thinking the same. I'm hoping not too many are turned off from DD after that mention, for I worry it's an improper label. It is to an extent, but hardly a clone, I would say.

Divine Divinity has a lot of differences from Diablo, but ultimately every action RPG gets painted with the same brush and are referred to as a Diablo clone at some point. It wasn't that many years ago that every FPS was labelled a Doom clone, even though many at the time were not all that similar to Doom.

I prefer the more generic term Action RPG than Diablo clone, but since Diablo is the most prominent of that particular game style, I can see why it happens.

Back
Top Bottom