Pillars of Eternity II - Flopped

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire flopped selling only 110K units as of September.

It appears that the sequel to Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, has sold poorly. According to reports, the game has only sold 110K copies worldwide until September 2018. And while the WRPG market is a niche one, this number feels really low and may explain the rumours that surfaced about Microsoft purchasing Obsidian.

[...]
More information.

This doesn't surprise me. I actually finished POE 1 and started a second play through. With POE 2 I just felt bogged down with the ship mechanics and haven't really been back to it. Kind of preferring DOS 2 to this.

Wow, this is kinda unexpected (at least for me). And sad for all us RPG players, since:

a) The game may never get a sequel, * if * there were any sequels planned in mind. And now that Microsoft bought Obsidian, I believe the prospect of a PoE sequel is becoming more and more unlikely;

b) Microsoft may be led to believe there is no market for WRPGs anymore and, ultimately, cancel and/or refuse to finance/fund any RPGs that, by any chances, may be brewing inside of them (Microsoft Corp.);

c) More important: when indies/small studios see that a game with such visibility and a huge name behind it (Obsidian) flop plain and simple, what they'll think? Are they gonna to take the risk? Could this led to a drought of new RPG titles in near future?

Not surprised really as I bought a copy but haven't played it yet. Waiting for all the DLC but I have to ask how much has selling the DLC made them? Probably not much.

In the end this is sad news as most of inXile's games have flopped as well lately. So now we can look look forward to more modern MMO's or Co-op games.

Fargo is hyping a new emergent online RPG game & Obsidian is probably bought by Microsoft. So pick your poison and don't complain since no one buys traditional RPG's.

Didn't get the second one, as there was just too much stuff to play and I am not a fan of RTwP anyways.

But I guess it's kind of a similar fate as Banner Saga, which was imho a rather mediocre game. Was incredibly successful at Kickstarter. They did the second part without KS, and it sold poorly as the hype was gone.

Edit: Oh, and btw: Similar Story with Legend of Grimrock. Just that this game received it's hype via Notch (the Minecraft guy).

I guess that's the problem with nostalgia. It can't last forever.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel mit Tapatalk

a similar fate as Banner Saga, which was imho a rather mediocre game.
Banner Saga is phonegame. Eternity isn't.

Eternity2 did quite a few things wrong IMO:
1. Plothole prequel NPCs of which at least one is crappy and boring (female paladin for example whatever her name is) aren't romanceable and start at level 1
2. New type of sidekick NPCs that don't have their story at all, this RPG or Candy Crush?
3. No, not Kickstarter! FIG will save videogames! Right.
4. Marketing? What marketing?
5. The game itself is not something so good I'd suggest to anyone as musthave aka forget word of mouth sales.
6. Attached DLC-o-rama without any reasonable logic except nickle&dime
7. Unity? Again? Loading game on SSD half an hour long. *sigh*

I could nitpick some more like parting ways with Avellone, but these things above are the main reason I'm not surprised with sales number.
It's still a good game, maybe will benefit from future discounts.

pick your poison and don't complain since no one buys traditional RPG's.
By that logic DoS2 also failed. No.
There is at least one thing different from stuff I numbered above that Larian did differently. Yea, all in fact.

By that logic DoS2 also failed. No.
There is at least one thing different from stuff I numbered above that Larian did differently. Yea, all in fact.

Yeah Co-op without it the Original Sin games would of flopped also.:cool:

Lets not forget streamers helped sell the games and hyped the hell out of them.

Yeah Co-op without it the Original Sin games would of flopped also.:cool:
:p

Lets not forget streamers helped sell the games and hyped the hell out of them.
Twitch? LOL I doubt it.
But streams absolutely sold it, if I wasn't backer already this one for example would make the game instabuy for me:

Now go reply in the new RDR2 review newsbit! :evilgrin:

Indeed, sad to hear. I also feel it is considerably better than the first, but I feared the mediocre reputation of the first one would hurt the second. A real shame.

This probably means it's the last RPG of its kind we see from Obsidian, which is an even bigger shame, as they finally nailed it on their third attempt.

Indeed, sad to hear. I also feel it is considerably better than the first, but I feared the mediocre reputation of the first one would hurt the second. A real shame.

This probably means it's the last RPG of its kind we see from Obsidian, which is an even bigger shame, as they finally nailed it on their third attempt.
We may see a few spinoffs as an old interview said they are interested in making more games with the Ip. One of the suggestions was a Strategy RPG or Open World game.

I still think that training their customers to wait for all the patching, rejigging, and in-game DLC could have played a big part.

People are just wary now with the extra content that they know is coming out after the main game is available. I bet there are plenty like me that plan on grabbing this in a game of the year addition and playing all the content in one go.

People are just wary now with the extra content that they know is coming out after the main game is available. I bet there are plenty like me that plan on grabbing this in a game of the year addition and playing all the content in one go.
Yep I'm surprised Copper Coin hasn't joined in to decry we ruined the game.

As I just bought the game a month back on sale.
I still think that training their customers to wait for all the patching, rejigging, and in-game DLC could have played a big part.
Probably did as it gave an impression the game wasn't finished yet.

Last edited:
Oldschool RPGs have to be made spending less money, it's as simple as that. There is simply not a huge audience for them. You cannot expect all games to sell like a million copies as Original Sin did.

Smaller studios making games like Underrail and Age of Decadence have been a lot more successful than these indie "AA" companies like InXile and Obsidian lately.

Totally agree with Gabriel's above post, and you know what? On top of understanding those requirements, those independents have, for the most part, also created better games.

Totally agree with Gabriel's above post, and you know what? On top of understanding those requirements, those independents have, for the most part, also created better games.
I agree with him somewhat but the games will be of lesser quality.

As it stands each of the Pillar games was made with 4-5 million.
110,000 x $50 = $5.5 million sales over 7 months is bad?
It is for fig investors but not Obsidian.
We now have a sense of just how badly deadfire sold. I invested $1000 in getting it made, and the first dividents from that are in. For all sales from launch through September - the period when any game makes the vast majority of its money - I got $192.67..
Also read this as they needed to sell half a million copies not 110,000.
As said, Obsidian aimed to sell 580K copies at $50 in order to break even; a huge number especially when talking about a WRPG that targets a small group of gamers. This basically means that Pillars of Eternity 2 flopped really hard.

It's kinda sad, but I'm also one of the people who hasn't bought the game yet. And I'm a sucker for everything isometric and could live with RTwP.

But the first one's mechanics were so "bad" (got better for my second run after a lot of patching), that I just don't feel the urge to dive in immediately. Too many other RPGs to be played and I'm still having loads of fun with RogueTech.

Back
Top Bottom