The Witcher 2 - Internal Gameplay Video

I agree that the visuals, combat, and art designs looks great. This is a promotional video, afterall...

I don't like (as I said before several times) that every developer out there seems to be making games more realistic, movie-like, cinematic, and to go for the bloodier, the better. A game is not a movie nor should it try to be, I find.

I like the little mouse being shown when it is time to click on a monster or an enemy; I have a visual learning style, I would be lost (totally) if I only had audio aid to go on when deciding when swing the sword...

I was probably distracted by watching the moves and tech, but i wasn't struck by the dialogue being particularly terrible. Overall I really liked what they showed. Wanna play allready. Of course I hope they maintain and improve on the choice and consequence aspect of the game as well.

I might be able to live with the Q.T.E.s if they're based on your skill choices. Eg: You get to use a particular attack during a conversation/boss fight, but only if your strong-steel is already at level 4 or something similar.

And successfully using them shouldn't be required, say succeeding at the event wounds the boss and makes the fight somewhat easier, but not doing so doesn't prevent you from simply pummeling the enemy to death like you were planning to do anyway.

I certainly don't want to come across any "click-now-or-die" moments.

Overall I have to say I'm very excited by the news. Most of the video looked promising and I'm looking forward to learning more.

I like the little mouse being shown when it is time to click on a monster or an enemy; I have a visual learning style, I would be lost (totally) if I only had audio aid to go on when deciding when swing the sword…
While I certainly understand your feelings about that, wouldn't it suit both your preference and mine to simply have that work the way it did in the original? On easy and normal you had visual as well as audio cues but they were "in-game", if you will. Only hard was audio-only. (And, frankly, I think people should be able to roll their own difficulties - so you could have video cues but everything else on hard.)

Obviously there's no real reason why his swords would flash a color in combat but it seemed more "in-game" and less of a distracting, immersion-breaking element than having a mouse appear in the foreground of the screen.

While I certainly understand your feelings about that, wouldn't it suit both your preference and mine to simply have that work the way it did in the original? On easy and normal you had visual as well as audio cues but they were "in-game", if you will. Only hard was audio-only. (And, frankly, I think people should be able to roll their own difficulties - so you could have video cues but everything else on hard.)

Did The Witcher have an "easy" setting? I only recall it having normal and hard.

They are not happy with how Atari butchered the English version. It's CDP that doesn't want Atari, not Atari that doesn't want The Witcher 2.

Well that and the fact that Atari EU (now Namco-Bandai Partners) no longer publish games.

I hope they get someone like THQ.

And it goes to say, I can't wait.

Ok, without really knowing - I'm going to make a bet that what we're seeing in that video is the Aurora engine - however modified it may be.

Any takers?

What do you want to bet?

I almost took you up on that, and would have proposed a copy of the game when it comes out.

Looks like I should have:

Eurogamer said:
The old Aurora engine has been ditched and a "brand new" core built that - naturally - means everything will be "much better".

[ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-witcher-2-is-heading-to-consoles ]

Ok, I acknowledge my mistake.

Goes to show that I can make mistakes, whilst being certain I'm not making it.

Doesn't bode well for me, I guess :)

According to the article it is; by the sound of it, they haven't even started console development yet.

For being a brand new engine the graphics are almost identical to the original (except upgraded). Geralt looks like the old Geralt only better and the sounds for the swords are exactly the same.

I like how they didn't go in a whole new direction. Like Gothic 3 didn't look or have that same feeling as Gothic 2. For this one they seemed to just upgrade everything while keep a lot of the game the same (at least as far as I can tell from this *leaked* video).

This bodes well for the game, imo.

Back
Top Bottom