Nantucket - Announced for January 18, 2018

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The seefaring strategy game Nantucket will be released on January 18, 2018. The game features strong RPG elements and continues the story of Moby Dick:

Nantucket

Chase after Moby Dick, and live through the Golden Age of American whaling in this seafaring strategy game. Set sail around the world, manage your ship and crew, and live Ishmael's story, the sole survivor of the Pequod, a few years after the events narrated by Herman Melville in his masterpiece.

Features:

Set sail and explore the seas
Set sail around the world, visit cities, and increase your prestige by hunting whales, landing jobs, and searching for new adventures.

Be the captain you want to be

Develop your character in true RPG fashion, by increasing your stats, choosing your reactions, and developing your seafaring skills.

Manage your ship and crew

Hire and manage your crew, give them tasks on your ship, and improve your ship with new compartments, expanding your ship's capabilities.

Experience the Golden Age of whaling
Experience more than a thousand unique events tailored around your choices—and face the results of your actions.

Hunt whales and fight pirates
Discover new whaling areas, hunt whales for blubber, and protect your ship from pirates using a turn-based combat system.

Chase after Moby Dick
Follow an original story line and complete quests to unveil the secrets behind Moby Dick and dissolve Ahab’s curse.
More information.

Except whale hunting was, for a time, an important source of fuel, rather than simply an aesthetic commodity.

Game looks kind of interesting to me. Maybe, if the price is right.

While I also have my concerns about whale hunting, this looks like an interesting game.

Will have another look once it is available.

We kill lots of wild animals in every RPG ... tigers, wolves, bears etc.

Did the trailer say the game was coming out for PC in 2015?

A sequel to Moby Dick? I hope its crazy - its the craziest book I read.

You may think you know the story, but the main story is just that. Melville is all over the place with his fiction, non-fiction, philosophy, cartography, and whale anatomy.

For example, did you know

• Smoking is good for you
  • Whales will never be extinct
  • Better a sober cannibal than a drunk Christian

I found the middle part of the book, where Melville essentially writes a small encyclopedia of aquatic wildlife, a real slog. Outside of that, it was a good read.

I found it very sad that Melville so desperately loved sperm whales, yet convinced himself they would avoid being hunted to extinction, an extinction in which he personally participated.

Back
Top Bottom