What comforts you?

D

Darth Tagnan

I have this strange obsession with the Alien universe.

Believe it or not, I'm actually greatly comforted by the atmosphere of those movies.

I've watched Alien and Aliens literally hundreds of times. I prefer Alien - but I don't actually watch it - I just leave it on in the background, because I adore the atmosphere that Ridley Scott created in that movie.

When I go to bed at night and want to provoke sleep, I tend to create little fantasies about the Alien universe. Like, I have one about hiding in a safe place in Hadley's Hope (like Newt) - and I actually enjoy the sensation of being alone in such a place, trying to avoid capture by the aliens.

Seriously! I don't know why - but I just find great comfort in all things Alien.

So, how about you? Do you use specific thoughts or fantasies to lull yourself to sleep at night - or do you have certain movies/books/music that you use to calm yourself down or to get into a preferred mood?

That's weirdly cute.

I have used the Blade Runner soundtrack so many times for sleeping.

A bit of Ridley Scott appreciation going on here.

But seriously... when it comes to sleep, thinking about interesting stuff just keeps me awake. If I'm not falling asleep easily I tend to do slightly meditative things, like a 12 minute body scan.

In turns of non-sleep related "comfort", I can see what you mean by being comforted by things that aren't traditionally comforting. When I'm feeling stressed or anxious, I often find that violent music (e.g. tech death), can bring me back to "normal".
Crazy music has got me through a lot of difficult periods in life :D

That's weirdly cute.

A bit of Ridley Scott appreciation going on here.

The BR soundtrack is amazing! As is the atmosphere of the movie.

Now, I can think of better storytellers than Scott - but I can't think of any director on his level in terms of the visual aesthetic.

But seriously… when it comes to sleep, thinking about interesting stuff just keeps me awake. If I'm not falling asleep easily I tend to do slightly meditative things, like a 12 minute body scan.

That's very true for me as well. I'm extremely prone to "the racing mind" - so I have to get into a semi-meditative mental state to be fully relaxed.

Strangely, that's exactly what the Alien atmosphere does for me. I don't "think" about it - so much as feel it, if that makes sense.

The dark gothic horror aspect of the creature appeals to my sensations greatly.

In turns of non-sleep related "comfort", I can see what you mean by being comforted by things that aren't traditionally comforting. When I'm feeling stressed or anxious, I often find that violent music (e.g. tech death), can bring me back to "normal".
Crazy music has got me through a lot of difficult periods in life :D

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that I'm talking about.

It's strange how we can use contrasts to provoke certain feelings.

When I go to bed at night and want to provoke sleep, I tend to create little fantasies about the Alien universe. Like, I have one about hiding in a safe place in Hadley's Hope (like Newt) - and I actually enjoy the sensation of being alone in such a place, trying to avoid capture by the aliens.

I can just imagine it now. You and Newt all cuddled up in some old air vent, the ground littered with various junk you'd scavenged. You're like a father to her now, but, sometimes, you wonder what the future might bring. You're the only two humans left on Hadleys Hope and will eventually need to ensure the human race survives. It could be hundreds of years before help comes.

But that pleasant thought gets violently interrupted as an Alien trips your alarm wire. In an instant you're in stealth mode wielding an enchanted bow you crafted yourself. You let loose a hail of arrows which do maximum sneak attack damage and the alien is shredded to pieces, but some acid blood splashes on Newt and burns off all her clothes!

Money. Lots of it.

Seriously though, when it comes to sleeping, hearing "weather" helps. Rain on the roof. Wind. Even thunder. Otherwise, showering calms me down pretty good.

But if I get "racing thoughts", watching completely zero-brain-required TV-shows may help.

Routine and repetition comfort me. Almost everything I do has a routine and I do it the same way all the time if possible. I order the same exact meals if I go to restaurants, never changes. Most places I go they already know what I want as soon as they see me. I’ll also eat the food in the same order every time. The way I brush my teeth, lay in bed, I always watch cooking shows in bed. The order in which I wash in the shower is the same. Etc, etc. there’s so many things I can’t list them all.

So , yeah, routine and repetition calms me. Maybe that why I’m such a fan of dark souls. :biggrin:

My mom still comforts me, haha. No joke, we're really close. When I have racing thoughts I find that watching basketball or basketball-related talking heads programs helps. I also like to think about the RPG I'm playing, I'll think about the stats and feats in Kingmaker or how I'm going to build my character in Arcanum, and that gives me a cozy feeling. When sleeping I just have to relax myself for about 30-60 minutes by watching NBA TV and I'm good to go.

I think if I slowed down any more, I would be moving backwards. ;)

Not really any one thing that I use all the time. I read books on my tablet computer when I'm in bed, (I have Kindle unlimited) but its different books all the time. I guess reading is comforting to me.

Reading has always been a comfort to me, music came later but would be a close second these days. There is absolutely nothing like picking up a great book and losing yourself for a few hours!!

Oh, Mooji is really comforting too. Very good to listen to or watch on tablet/PC. I'm also very comforted now when I keep remembering that I am living in God's grace. When I remember that I have an invisible hand gently guiding me and watching over me, it makes me feel as though I'm not at home, but I AM home. Sometimes the mind tries to sneak in and dissuade that, but I'm getting better at discerning that. When you start to realize that you're living in grace and taken care of, the world seems like a cozy place.

Last edited:
Routine and repetition comfort me. Almost everything I do has a routine and I do it the same way all the time if possible. I order the same exact meals if I go to restaurants, never changes. Most places I go they already know what I want as soon as they see me. I’ll also eat the food in the same order every time. The way I brush my teeth, lay in bed, I always watch cooking shows in bed. The order in which I wash in the shower is the same. Etc, etc. there’s so many things I can’t list them all.

So , yeah, routine and repetition calms me. Maybe that why I’m such a fan of dark souls. :biggrin:

Hehe, well - we're creatures of habit.

Sounds like you have a thing with security and I'm willing to bet you have a great need of being in control, whatever you do :)

Lots of things comforts me (sadly, much more things annoy/irritate/anger me sigh).

My husband, mum, teddy bear, flowers, food (don't judge me!), playing my favourite games, and singing :)

Oh, and as strange as it sound... crying.

Oh, Mooji is really comforting too. Very good to listen to or watch on tablet/PC. I'm also very comforted now when I keep remembering that I am living in God's grace. When I remember that I have an invisible hand gently guiding me and watching over me, it makes me feel as though I'm not at home, but I AM home. Sometimes the mind tries to sneak in and dissuade that, but I'm getting better at discerning that. When you start to realize that you're living in grace and taken care of, the world seems like a cozy place.

I envy that kind of perception ;)

I'm not really sure what's this about.

If it's about daily stress relief there are numerous things that'll do the trick for me, for real, articles or just "brainstorming" about: good books/comics/movies/series, sex, singleplayer videogames, coffe breaks, hanging out with friends, puzzles of any kind, etc. And of course regardless of what doctors say about it - smokin'.

If it's about insomnia caused by or causing hypercontentration then lime leaf tea as I refuse to use any chemicals aka pills.

If it's a lullaby replacement then just thinking about something that made me happy or imagining something that would.

As usual, would be rude if I don't comment some previous entries, right? :)
Seriously. I'm not trying to mock anyone now nor I think anyone is doing something wrong, what I'm saying is just about me and my "needs".

Seriously though, when it comes to sleeping, hearing "weather" helps. Rain on the roof. Wind. Even thunder. Otherwise, showering calms me down pretty good.

But if I get "racing thoughts", watching completely zero-brain-required TV-shows may help.
There is no music that can put me to sleep any more. I have to turn it off if I need some sleep. White noise noted by @Cacheperl; for some reason can.
Zero brain required stuff irritate me and doesn't make me sleep, quite the contrary, I get pissed off and then I can't sleep.
If I'm supertired or drunk, then I can sleep even under a cannonade.
Routine and repetition comfort me.
Any kind of repetition irritates me. I want to jump out of my skin. And can cause insomnia as it makes me feel like an automaton and not a human being.
Mundane stuff too. If you went for a coffee with me aiming to get my bad side, just force a discussion about mundane stuff for a while, it won't end up nice.
My mom still comforts me
My is getting on my nerves lately. Stubborn and conservative. She is not stupid, but even new scientifically proven facts presented, even if the society moved onward, no, it's still as was in dunno 1920. For example bastard children to her are still considered a shame. I can go on and on how a friend of mine and his mother are plain fantastic and better people than many of "legit" marriages, no, it's still a "horror" case to her. Bah.
One thing blows my nerves totally, seems it comes with age - pretending to still be 15. The last time I found her dehydrated and delirious, had to call ambulance, she ended up in hospital with severe pneumonia although I've warned her to stop exhausting herself with physical work.
Yes I'm aware she wants to be and feel useful but cmon. Retired means - retired. Enjoy the retirement. Besides there are numerous small things to do and feel "needed", but no, in her mind it's not "visible".

So unlike Fluent's case, my mother can't calm me.
Then again perhaps I'm too old for the same shit which is basically stagnation or plain decadence. Or it's the fact that she's also very old and objectively won't live much longer and now I'm subconsciously irritated by the fact I cannot change the fact she'll die soon.

Back
Top Bottom