Wizardry - Drecom acquires Copyright and Trademark Rights

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Yemeth spotted news about the Wizardry series at Gematsu:

Drecom acquires Wizardry copyright and trademark rights, new title to be developed

A new Wizardry cometh.

Japanese company Drecom has acquired the copyrights, as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to the "Wizardry" intellectual property and will develop a new title in the series, the company announced.

The acquisitions include the copyrights to "Wizardry 6," "Wizardry 7," "Wizardry 8," and "Wizardry Gold," as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to "Wizardry."

The company said it will keep up its commitment to the acquisition of popular intellectual properties, as well as the development and cultivation of its internal properties.

[...]
More information.

Drecom is a mobile game developer based in Tokyo. Its past works include Disgaea RPG (co-developed with ForwardWorks), the mobile version of Everybody’s Golf (co-developed with ForwardWorks), Derby Stallion Masters, Chocotto Farm, Digimon ReArise (developed for Bandai Namco), Kirara Fantasia (developed for Aniplex), and more.

GU1571I.gif

So Disgaea is okay, though still couldn't play Disgaea 5 further than the Intro Battle, because of being way too unreal, but maybe we can hope? For a worthy Wizardry 9, along the lines of VII and VIII.

So from a bad console game developer to a mobile developer. Not an improvement.:roll:

a modern day, AAA title of Wizardry would make MONEY... I would be onboard for that...

Weren't the rights already held by another Japanese company anyways?

It was but the Ip was was sold a few times in it's long history. It was originally owned by Sir-Tech, sold to Atlus, then sold to Acquire, and now Drecom has bought the rights.

I hope they make a true sequel to Wizardry 8. A game with similar mechanics but modern graphics would be nice. But I'm not holding my breath. Pretty sure what we will see is another bland dungeon crawler.

A site called hardcoregaming101 had a 17 part feature on the Wizardry franchise.

Link - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/wizardy/

I shared the link for anyone interested in reading it.

Thank you, CouchPotato!! As soon as I have some free time I'll read this, bit a bit :)

I just don't know if such link was once a newsbit here (I didn't search for it). If it never was, you could submit it to one of the news editors in order to get it published, what do you think?

I hope they make a true sequel to Wizardry 8. A game with similar mechanics but modern graphics would be nice. But I'm not holding my breath. Pretty sure what we will see is another bland dungeon crawler.

Wizardry 8 was a fantastic game, and next year is its 20th anniversary.
Just think of the money that could be made from Wizardry 8 Remastered with updated graphics at 4k/HDR, hi-res textures, and ray-tracing for next-gen consoles/PC. I'd be first in line to preorder!

Wizardry 8 was a fantastic game, and next year is its 20th anniversary.
Just think of the money that could be made from Wizardry 8 Remastered with updated graphics at 4k/HDR, hi-res textures, and ray-tracing for next-gen consoles/PC. I'd be first in line to preorder!

And less damn excessive respawning, oh yeah :) Anyway, I would buy it right away!!

Am I the only one disappointed? They dont look capable of producing a decent CRPG.

Sir Tech sold the rights to Sir Tech Canada for $50,000 as a way to protect the IP from it's own implosion. Problem was, Sir Tech didn't own the rights - it was licensed from Robert Woodhead and Andrew Greenberg.
Of their many lawsuits against their former publisher it was for Wizardry 8 in the state of New York that they got the $30k remaining in escrow for it (though they argued for $150k) and that seems to be for the price of the IP. Personally, I don't why they didn't try and get the judge to rule they remained the owners.

I just have this vision in my head of Manga characters and walking plants jumping backwards and forwards at each other in typical JRPG combat style while calling it a Wizardry game!! Not sure if I could really handle that!!!! :)

I love Wizardry, I even love Disgaea, but my expectations for this could hardly be lower. I also like being surprised and proven wrong, so feel free to do that. Please.

Am I the only one disappointed? They dont look capable of producing a decent CRPG.

The main problem with Japanese Wizardry games is that the mechanics are basically same with Wizardry 1-5. So if you take any Japanese Wizardry game and ignore its advanced graphics (according to older games of course), you have more or less an early Wizardry game under the hood. For some reason Japanese developers are oblivious to the fact that the series evolved considerably with 6-7-8.

I think their model might be something like Etrian Odyssey, which was basically a tablet game. I'd be surprised if we saw something more. It is even questionable if it won't be a mobile/tablet only game.
Japanese Wizardry games do focus on Wizardry 1-5 and I think the reasons are pretty practical. If you have Wizardry 6-8 as a model you need a writer, voice actors, and a good English translator. If you don't, you can skip these things and get along with simply a decent translator. Wizardry 8 is almost open world and has 3d graphics. Again, not using this for a model helps keep the game under a modest budget.
Don't get me wrong Wizardry 8 is one of my favourite rpgs of all time, but it would actually require a decent sized team with good skills to make a successor to it. This company seems more on the lookout for a smaller audience using a smaller budget.
There seems to be a decent sized Japanese audience for such games. We westerners are just a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom