No Mutants Allowed - A History of Fallout Fandom Part 2

Beautiful! You did noticed that your main argument in favour of your delusions is a post made in... RPGCodex, a site that doesn't have anything to do with us, made by someone that it isn't a member of NMA? You know how stupid you looked just now? How you just reinforced what I previously said? And you go on and pick a trillion posts AGAIN from the wrong place? Have you seen that your blind hatred just lead you to a colossal embarrassment? Are you on drugs? Does trolling like this is a form of compensation for sexual misgivings?

And finally is this guy for real? :lol:

Lesson learned if there was any doubt on who's the real lunatic here.

Now Corwin go on and write those articles we talked about :)

Aaahhh the insults... finally... could you please call me some animal names, Biofreak? I'm into that. Puuhhleeeaaase? :biggrin:

Weird, huh? So bad, evil Bethesda refuse to associate with a community that has repeatedly (or one might as well say "constantly") threatened to physically harm Bethesda employees or their relatives (like the "offer" to anally ummm... examine Pete Hines' wife), a community that has started assaults on the ES forums to see who can get banned faster than another person, a community that is generally sporting a "Bethesda suxx" state of mind, a community that has suggested that dropping bombs on Bethsoft HQ would be a good thing etc etc etc

Yup. Definitely strange, secretive folks those Bethesda fellas. I mean how could you possibly NOT want to associate with such super-friendly and likeable people as the Fallout community. Inexplicable. Mind-boggling. It really is...

First would you mind to provide proof of what you just said?
Second, I don't like it when people just talk about one part of what I say without any comment on the rest. I don't care if you agree or disagree, but just taking part of what I said and making it look as if I'm someone who wants to do what you said is just wrong.

First would you mind to provide proof of what you just said?
Second, I don't like it when people just talk about one part of what I say without any comment on the rest. I don't care if you agree or disagree, but just taking part of what I said and making it look as if I'm someone who wants to do what you said is just wrong.

Too full of yourself to read the entire thread or do you just require a new pair of glasses?

Too full of yourself to read the entire thread or do you just require a new pair of glasses?

I'm talking about :
threatened to physically harm Bethesda employees or their relatives (like the "offer" to anally ummm... examine Pete Hines' wife),

By the way, you again chose not to respond to all of what I said.

Actually, I read the whole thread. I however am not ready to look for the comment on 15 other threads you gave. (I have other things to do as well)

I'm talking about :

By the way, you again chose not to respond to all of what I said.

Sorry, Mr. Important. It won't happen again. Promise.

Actually, I read the whole thread. I however am not ready to look for the comment on 15 other threads you gave. (I have other things to do as well)

Well, if you check the links you will find a lot of the stuff that I was talking about and as far as the anal assault on Pete Hines' wife is concerned, I gave an accurate description of the incident. I couldn't find the post after a quick search but please feel free to PM VDweller or Major_Blackhart. I'm sure they will be happy to confirm that this did indeed happen. Maybe the thread has been deleted by now. I don't know or care. It doesn't really matter.
There is enough of very offensive anti-Bethesda material to be found all around. Why you guys would even argue that is beyond me. On the one hand, you pat yourselves and your buddies on the back for your "creative" little insults against Bethesda and then on the other hand you ask me for proof that there ever was an insult thrown at them? ROFL. Split personality issues much?

Er do get a pair of glasses yourself, for the third time you are the one confusing NMA and Fallout fans in general to the Codex, where you probably had your feelings hurt .

It's just...embarrassing to read your posts, won't someone explain him that? Dhruin? Corwin? Anyone? He's even starting to try to have rough cybersex now, in public, the man isn't well...

Can one of you true fallout "fans" please tell me where is the information on the design of Fallout 3 that you are so up in arms about? I already asked twice and both times you all failed to provide a single example.

Rabid dogs are good for raising you pugilism skill in wasteland.

Personally I think that Beth possibly CAN stay true to the Fallout scenario. They already made good games (you know, before Morrowind ; - ).
The company name stays, employees change. Bethesda? Who the fuck is Bethesda?

Look guys, I don't want to close this thread, it's so much fun to read, but PLEASE cut out the personal attacks; attack the points/ideas/beliefs of everyone all you like, but there's no need for the personal stuff!! Thanks.

There is no information on the design of Fallout 3, which is the scary part. A lot of us have conjectured that Bethesda isn't talking to us because they're afraid of the word of mouth that NMA, DAC, and the Codex would generate against the project, hoping that we'd sit idley by in a Malthusian apocalypse of information starvation because there's "no information" to talk about.

We're not about to just do that, and whatever little amount of information has been stated is enough to cause a lot of conjecture. At this point that really is all it is, conjecture, but if we're wrong than God we can only hope so.

"Real information" has as of yet only been revealed in blurbs from Todd or Pete, none of which have been refuted in a manner that makes them appealing to people that don't like the way Beth has treated the franchise.

Otherwise, we have rumours like when Desslock claimed in his OP/Ed piece in PC Gamer that Fallout 3 will be set in the East Coast, and VD's leaks of information such as the rumour about the game being set in a city which have apparently caused an internal crackdown at Bethsoft. Both sources have little reason not to be believed.

Like it or not, life is going to be filled with assholes. In fact, many of them end up being your friends. If the Codex, DAC, and NMA really are full of assholes, it's still Bethesda's job to create dialogue with them. They are, after all, fans of the franchise they've acquired and are making a game for. That's why they're called Public Relations people. Irregardless of how volatile the communities are, it's still their job to put forth the effort, which they haven't. They blacklisted us, after all.

None of that says much for Bethesda's integrity as a company, or what they intend to do with Fallout 3.

Also, as an aside about Tactics, the furry deathclaws was only one of multiple setting issues. Leonard Boyarsky himself said that Fallout 1 was designed through the perspective of a 50's Science Fiction writer. Nothing about Tactics suggested a retrofuture, with modern firearms, vehicles, and overall future-vision. The Brotherhood of Steel in Tactics was also somehow capable of constructing derigibles, even though the Brotherhood of the game was held up in a bunker in the middle of the wastes. Not exactly the base from which to splinter, and have the splinter group be capable of constructing airships.

Codex people: From memory, one of the Beth guys is a semi-regular on your forums (Mr Smiley...) has there been anything from him?

Search for MrSmileyFaceDude's last post on the Codex is January 12th last year.

There is no information on the design of Fallout 3, which is the scary part. A lot of us have conjectured that Bethesda isn't talking to us because they're afraid of the word of mouth that NMA, DAC, and the Codex would generate against the project, hoping that we'd sit idley by in a Malthusian apocalypse of information starvation because there's "no information" to talk about.
There are plenty of good reasons for a developer to try to keep something quiet until they're ready to promote it, and plenty of precedent for Bethsoft trying to follow such a policy, with varying levels of success. Even if there weren't, I kind of doubt "starvation apocalypse" would've been prominent in their thinking. If they're developing Daggerfallout, passing advance word of their design decisions to DaC and NMA would have been the most monumentally boneheaded move they could have pulled. Picture it: every scrap of information on the game showing up on game sites with your spin, linking to your front page, for three years. You haven't imploded from lack of information, but you've done a hell of a lot less harm than you could have.

Is this was the case wouldn't they have still provided information to sites like IGN and gamespy? They haven't provided design information or screenshots to ANYONE, most likely because it is either too far away from release or they quite simply do not have anything to show off yet....

I'd be of the opinion they really don't have anything set in concrete that they can show or discuss yet!! If they mention possibilities and then they don't make the final game, imagine the screams we'd hear. Better to keep quiet until there is something definite to reveal!! BUT, why couldn't they just tell us that?

Codex people: From memory, one of the Beth guys is a semi-regular on your forums (Mr Smiley...) has there been anything from him?

He didn't came to rpgcodex since Todd decide to blacklist it.

Moriendor Rpgcodex is not fallout fansite, some people from rpcgcodex have accounts on NMA so what? Some of them have accounts and talk at rpgwatch does it make it fallout fansite by your logic? If you want to rpove anything at start you would to show post made by people from rpgcodex that are NMA regulars.

I'd be of the opinion they really don't have anything set in concrete that they can show or discuss yet!! If they mention possibilities and then they don't make the final game, imagine the screams we'd hear. Better to keep quiet until there is something definite to reveal!! BUT, why couldn't they just tell us that?

The techdemo, a propotype, was finished in March last year, crunch time begun in December Corwin, so they do have something to show. I honestly wouldn't mind much that they haven't until now, except I sort of remember when people found out about Deus Ex2 having single ammo and all the other design choices that were not very well received, for instance, it was too late to change anything. Since the lead designer at Fallout3 worked on DX2 I was hoping they understood the risks of not giving much input until the March interview to the official X-Box magazine and the official announcement of the game features on a gaming get together following soon after.

And just one thing, Fallout fans aren't up and arms, if we look at it closely. When the game was announced there was a pouring of people from all sides of the web that showed up at the TeS forum and signalled their thoughts. It was on their own that they showed up, and if there was lots of screaming and kicking involved it was from both sides, casual and hardcore Fallout and TeS fans.

On the case of NMA only three or four guys took part on those discussions, the only time we had to organize ourselves was when a Beth dev mocked Fallout fans in general as nerds not worth respect, and when we posted his thoughts the Something Awfull people decided to ban everyone from NMA, a few prepared DoS attacks, and later they were joined by kids from Penny arcade with loads of trolling posts and obscene pictures on the GD forum. By that time we started to talk to the Beth devs, they joined our forum and DAC (some were already at the Codex since it's an CRPG site and not a Fallout fansite, since they were following Oblivion) and everything cooled off.

Just a couple of months ago someone asked me on the Codex why we weren't in arms kicking and screaming, and I just told him that we were forced to post news on Fallout3, since it's our obligation to the fans, but no one was paying much attention to it on the NMA team except Rosh, or very interested, to be honest. Reporting was a task, nothing else, a few of the admins and mods were enforcing the policy on not making wild charges against Beth or stirring things up before we knew more, until one dev from Beth told us that they weren't going to talk to us because there was a lot of anti Oblivion posts on the Gaming forum, we found it weird since only Rosh was being militant against the game at the time but it didn't seem all that important at the time since they were posting at DAC.

They then disappeared from DAC and told the world the X-Box community was going to have the first real info on the game (besides Desslock, that didn't said much), and the tension surfaced again, with old posts from Rosh, that had resigned from NMA in protest to the fact we weren't at war with Beth :) and Vault_Dweller from the Codex resurfing with the questions about real time combat and first person, the infamous "Oblivion with Guns", gaining more attention since it seemed clear the priority is the X-Box crowd.

So there's no up and arms, but there is some tension. Maybe we'll work things up, there are still a few channels open and a few of us don't dislike everyone at Bethesda, and the regular fans are still voicing their opinions but in a more wait and see stance. We'll talk more in a couple of months, I guess.

Weird, huh? So bad, evil Bethesda refuse to associate with a community that has repeatedly (or one might as well say "constantly") threatened to physically harm Bethesda employees or their relatives (like the "offer" to anally ummm... examine Pete Hines' wife),

You are aware that the Codex has a pretty free-speech attitude? Are you also aware that there are several thousand members, and that a few posters do not represent the whole? I wonder if you're also aware that the inappropriateness was pointed out by some? Lastly, threats are 'constantly' posted, really? I visit the forums most days and I must be missing that.

a community that has started assaults on the ES forums to see who can get banned faster than another person,

This is mostly ex-Beth fanboys from the ESF who have registered with the Codex (ESF refugees as we call 'em) who are pissed off after the disappointment of Oblivion. It's stupid and immature, but it's not like there's anything we can do to stop them except comment as such from time to time - which does happen. Again, this does not constitute the 'community' of the Codex.

a community that is generally sporting a "Bethesda suxx" state of mind, a community that has suggested that dropping bombs on Bethsoft HQ would be a good thing etc etc etc

Honestly, you don't need to spend very long reading the Codex forums to realise that the community is not a 'hive-mind' and doesn't agree on very much. The numbers of Bethesda supporters can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand, but that was not the case before Oblivion was released.

Yup. Definitely strange, secretive folks those Bethesda fellas. I mean how could you possibly NOT want to associate with such super-friendly and likeable people as the Fallout community. Inexplicable. Mind-boggling. It really is...

RPG Codex =/= Fallout community (although there is some overlap)

Basically, stop trying to over-simplify everything.

Is this was the case wouldn't they have still provided information to sites like IGN and gamespy? They haven't provided design information or screenshots to ANYONE, most likely because it is either too far away from release or they quite simply do not have anything to show off yet....

Like Briosa said, they do have something to show. Besides, if they did release any real information to mainstream gaming sites we'd still be reporting on it and generating that word-of-mouth, not to mention all of the people on those sites who don't post at DAC, NMA, or the Codex but still would hate the idea of "Oblivion with guns."

abbaon: It's not like we were expecting them to show us all of the design docs from the get-go (although after Van Buren design docs were released its cancellation was even more depressing), we'd at least expect them to come to the communities to ask us questions about the game, since by definition we're the de facto authorities on the subject presuming they haven't contacted Boyarsky or any of the other design leads (which they also haven't done). That they haven't proves well enough that they don't care what we think, and don't want our input on the project. A "Malthusian apocalypse" is very apt in this case, because it keeps us silent until it's too late for there to be a general buzz.

Back
Top Bottom