Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Maybe...I'll see

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Not really interested

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • No. And it shouldn't be on RPGWatch

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters
Strange how people seem to be finding it at the actual retail stores more easily than online.

I don't know if a figurine and a soundtrack CD make it worth $59.99 when I can get the regular version for only $39.99.

they actually were sold out of both editions and that was an hour after they opened. had i not preordered...well could of got it at circuit city but i like soundtracks. apparently there were a bunch of figurines that supposed were broken around the country and the guy at the store said if you go to a url you can have them (2k) send you a new one when them make them as well as an art book (i don't know if he was referring to a hard copy or a digital copy of the pdf. i'll look into it. i'm beyond words with the game and haven't been let down at all. the big daddies are mean sobs. i'm glad the respawning isn't as frequent as in system shock 2. suprisingly the game is running like a champ with everything turned on at 12_ _ by 9 _ _. my p4 3.0 came in the mail today but hell if i'm going to be greedy and deal with that. i'm not sure what the demo includes but if its only the first entry level than there is so much more gameplay that people won't be seeing. so for all the people unimpressed...sucks to be you!

I'm in no rush to play the game. I've been working a lot of hours lately and haven't had much time for gaming so I'm way behind on my replays of SS 1&2. I'm having so much fun playing SS1 however, that it doesn't bother me at all that I'm not starting on Bioshock right away. I rarely start on a game right away anyways because there's usually a patch released in the first 2 weeks to correct\change something.

I'm glad you're enjoying SS1! It's such a superb game that gets too little attention in my eyes. And I agree that $20 for the figurine isn't worth it, but as I mentioned before, that's not the reason I personally bought the Limited Edition. If anything, the pics I put up flatter the figurine a bit. He's a cute little guy but the craftsmanship (if such a word can be applied to an mass-produced resin figurine made in China) is pretty poor. Nevertheless, he now protects my servers with an iron fist... err... tunneling bit?

I should mention that lil' Big Daddy stands quite well on his own, balanced by what feel like weighted tanks on his back, but is heavy and has a pretty high center of gravity, so I wouldn't set him somewhere where he or the surface he is on is going to get bumped.

They sell it all over Norway now, pretty much every store that sells games. I've bought it and tried it, got quite an atmosphere for an fps, and a solid story, but don't think it's a cRPG - you will be dissappointed if that is what you expect.

Minor point, maybe.

If for some reason, you have AVG, then un-install it using the add/remove feature found in the Control Panel. AVG will currently flag this game's .exe as a false positive.

AVG are currently working on a fix for this and may already have fixed this problem.
Untill further notice, please use another anti virus program like Aviri or Avast.

The authentication thing annoys me. I dont know if it would keep me from buying it if I really wanted it (of which I apparently am a very small bunch), but it annoys me. If I buy a game, I want to put it on my home pc, but also might want it on my laptop. My work pc for screwing around on my lunch break. Maybe my Mom's pc, for when I'm stuck over there doing laundry or something. Ok, maybe her pc couldnt quite handle it, but you get the point i'm making.

I know, this is fantasy-world thinking, and totally flies in the face of the EULA that I mechanically accept without reading so much a word of, but it's how I feel. The pirates have ruined it for the rest of us legit gamers, and moreover, people in general. Pisses me off.

Isn't it odd, that the choice of " No. And it shouldn't be on RPGWatch" got 39 votes yet not one person is willing to back this up in the community.
Here we have people trying to actually define the content of RPGWatch with no foundation or fundamental basic position.

All I can say is they do not even deserved to be mentioned in the poll results and would remove the their results immediately, if they are willing to try to change the content without the slightest consideration of the rest of the community, since its evidently not important enough for them to make the case on any level.

But why should they have to 'make a case'? Bioshock is a shooter *only*, definitely not a RPG on any level, is a twitch game, and is being covered *to death* by every game site on the internet. If there wasn't the System Shock tie-in would it be here?If so, then where are the Crysis previews? Why hasn't anyone been reporting on the awesome controls of Metroid Prime 3?

Because they are shooters and don't belong here. Bioshock has gotten a 'pass' due to the people and the lineage.

That is true, it is definetly not an RPG. It's certainly a deeper fps than most, and with a much better atmosphere, but it's still an fps.

Edit: Voted "Maybe, I'll see" by the way, as I wasn't really sure it was a game for me. I've tried it and I was right - it's far more fps than rpg, so I have decided to fire up PS:T again instead. :)

If it gose to platform=PC... ill wait till the price of it settles down no need in throw good money for what might be just another Shooting up Game.. not that i dont mind it just that my taste as change since my Quake2 Died or Clan i was in :disappointed:

txa1265 said:
Bioshock is a shooter *only*, definitely not a RPG on any level

I missed this and have had to not read most topics and threads to avoid spoilers, since the day picked up Bioshock my video card failed. :'(
So until my card is repaired, returned and/or I go crazy and buy a nice mid level card till my is returned. ;)

However I have been able to read non story spoiler reviews and I can talk about what little I know, if everyone could avoid Story spoilers, I don't mind other types like we get the nuke catapult in chapter 3. :)

First of this comes down to what you call an RPG and (iirc) you consider something like Diablo an RPG, but not Bioshock, confuses me.
Diablo has rudimentary stats, (3 or 4 at the most), quest and inventory.
Bioshock has deep and diverging story which is effected by player choice(s) in the game(even if it's based on one choice it's an optional ending), quest, tonics (which instead of stats, is used for the same purposes, only a different method of application) and inventory (maybe not accessible like Diablo but not necessary in the same sense, of constantly upgrading weapons and armor isn't needed).

txa1265 said:
Because they are shooters and don't belong here. Bioshock has gotten a 'pass' due to the people and the lineage.
Well maybe for you, but so far you haven't provided any substantial reasoning for your position, which was the point I was trying to make, is not a good idea for the community, imo. :)

Maylander said:
it is definetly not an RPG
How about you got any non Story spoiler examples of this? :)

Maybe I missed a non spoiler Bioshock thread about why this is or is not a RPG?
Or if you guys would perfer starting a non spoiler thread about this that's fine too. :)

First of this comes down to what you call an RPG and (iirc) you consider something like Diablo an RPG, but not Bioshock, confuses me.
Diablo has rudimentary stats, (3 or 4 at the most), quest and inventory.
Bioshock has deep and diverging story which is effected by player choice(s) in the game(even if it's based on one choice it's an optional ending), quest, tonics (which instead of stats, is used for the same purposes, only a different method of application) and inventory (maybe not accessible like Diablo but not necessary in the same sense, of constantly upgrading weapons and armor isn't needed).

The tonics aren't something like stats, because you can change them anytime if you want. They are upgrades just like weapons, and you don't call a shooter an RPG just because you get stronger weapons, do you?
The "quests" are for storytelling only, just like every shooter has mission descriptions. The inventory isn't anything more than that of other shooters.

The "deep" story of Bioshock isn't that deep (IMHO), and Jedi Knight offers choices, too, but nobody would call it an RPG.

Really, Bioshock is not an RPG.

Hindukönig said:
The tonics aren't something like stats, because you can change them anytime if you want. They are upgrades just like weapons, and you don't call a shooter an RPG just because you get stronger weapons, do you?

Afaik, Tonics boost stats in the same since as an RPG but you can change them out, so is an RPG not an RPG to you because you can change shuffle your stats as you want?
Weapon upgrades are no different than player stat upgrades, are they?
It's usually a progression of benefits with some possible negative side effects.

Both these bring to mind DX2, which was one of the first to use changeable upgrades, unless I am missing something. :)

The "quests" are for storytelling only, just like every shooter has mission descriptions.

So you mean there are no side quests, RPG is not an RPG without side quest?
I love doing side quest but not sure they are necessary to be an RPG, if your telling a story and you are able to build everything around your story, small are loarge quest shouldn't that be enough?

The inventory isn't anything more than that of other shooters.

Really trying to understand here, but I don't see an inventory as necessary, sure it can be a fun element, afaik this was sort of an experimental game design.
KLevine has mentioned they are trying to listen to suggestions, which they seem to have done in the past games, so no reason to doubt him, atm, imo.

The "deep" story of Bioshock isn't that deep (IMHO), and Jedi Knight offers choices, too, but nobody would call it an RPG.

Yes I did hear that it seemed dumbed down and as all most every title developed on the PC and console has suffered this horrible fate. :(
Console gamers are previewed, rightly or wrongly as not very demanding gamers and as long as m$ is trying to build up it's portfolio by dumping millions if not 10s of millions in the hands of PC developers to make console or console exclusives, I don't see this changing. :(

I can only hope KLevine did this to help insure the success of the game, which Irrational has long deserved a major success.
I hope it gives them the strength to make more and better games, think I can live with a watered down Action/RPG/Adventure hybrid game.

JK didn't have any type of Stat boosting system, nor did it have any upgrades only a few powers, iirc.

Well maybe for you, but so far you haven't provided any substantial reasoning for your position, which was the point I was trying to make, is not a good idea for the community, imo. :)
I wasn't of the opinion that the game shouldn't be covered here. I was merely stating that folks who thought that had some amount of reasonable defense in the fact that the game is a shooter and that the focus of the site is RPG. It isn't even a matter of trying to define RPG's and say that the Deep-Shadows stuff doesn't belong here due to the balance of RPG-to-shooter being off. Bioshock has a lineage in shooters with RPG elements, but it is a shooter.

Ken Levine has said, VERY clearly, that Bioshock is a shooter and not an action/RPG like System Shock 2.

I'm not saying the guy is a genius or anything, but he should know the genre of his own game.

How is it so difficult to just classify Bioshock as a shooter? It doesn't make it a lesser game. It's not an RPG because the core gameplay is a FPS. You point and shoot. Stuff dies. No dialogue options. No inventory management. No mapping. No stats to determine initiative/hit/miss/crit/etc. To put it more clearly, Bioshock was designed as a shooter, as per developer's choice. It is not an RPG.

Nor is it "watered down" because it was developed for PC and console. It's as watered down as Half-Life 2 was for PC.

Nor is it "watered down" because it was developed for PC and console. It's as watered down as Half-Life 2 was for PC.

In actuality, we can't know that.

We can believe what we will, though. I'm personally convinced that the perceived console audience, is responsible for many "watered down" aspects of Bioshock. How many exactly, and to what extent they were watered down, I can't say. But the Quest Arrow, Glowing interactive items, No death penalty whatsoever, Highlighted items, Lack of inventory or even stat screen, are all among things I strongly suspect would have been done differently if this was a PC exclusive title. I'm not saying they wouldn't have been there at all, I'm just saying I strongly doubt they would have done those things in the same blatantly nurturing manner.

It's a mature game balanced for 7 year olds.

I base my opinion primarily on the legacy of System Shock and System Shock 2. None of those games felt compromised to fit the mass market, and it's obvious they were determined to reach a larger audience this time around, and in my opinion they went over-the-top to achieve that. I hope they realise that, and give console gamers a bit of credit. They're not stupid, they're just different.

Finally, before you mention it, yeah I realise that the PC audience is not immune to this effect. Naturally, games have changed on all formats, and many PC exclusive titles are "dumbed down". This is definitely also part of what happened to Bioshock, and indeed I see the overall problem as platform independent. But once you've had sufficient years of experience with this tendency, you will notice that multiplatform games are handled particularly bad in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom