Akella - Signs DRM Deal With Byteshield

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Here is some good news for all you Disciples III fans out there. Akella signed a deal with Byteshield to provide DRM for their products. While many gamers would love for all DRM to just up and vanish, I doubt that will ever happen. You can read more about it here at Gamasutra.
While many gamers object to the use of DRM, Byteshield has made efforts to reach out to gamers for input on creating the technology. DRM watchdogs Reclaim Your Game approve of the DRM, calling Byteshield "safe, transparent, and non-invasive on your PC."
Byteshield describes its technology as an account-based copy protection model that "enables users to run games on multiple computers without limiting their ability to use the product they purchased."
More information.

Hmnn,
Let see, I can put the game on my computer and others in my house as many times as I want
No invasive crap on my computers- Sounds good what am I missing?
Wait, what does account based mean? Will I be required to register the computers I am using the software on?

Disciples fans?
I was Sea Dogs fan. For a while. The fantastic game. And fantastic bugs. Yes, that's Akella. And they've never patched that game completely.
DRM or no DRM… Who cares? When it's about Akella, I'd rather see a title "signs bugsolving deal with…".

Till then, sorry, but you won't see me buying anything from Akella again. No, I won't enjoy disciples. I got burned once, now I'm unsure even when it's cold. Sorry.

Well, I fore one, look forward to Disciples 3, is a huge fan of Disciples 2. Its good to hear some news from them again, it have been "unsettling" quite for a while.

I'm looking forward to Disciples 3 as well. I wasn't a huge fan of Disciples 2, but I liked the setting and the art direction. It was just the simplistic combat that bothered me. This one looks like they fixed that. The combat now is more like HOMM or Age of Wonders.

I'm not sure what account based DRM means, but as long as it's not starforce then that is good news, imo. Plus from what I read about Byteshield they have a slightly better rep than most of the other DRM providers out there.

ByteShield

In 15 minutes, without coding, game and software publishers can implement user-friendly internet activated license protection (using our hosted servers) which is extremely difficult to crack and costs only 3% of the list price of your software. ... and there are many more benefits...

http://www.byteshield.net/

The PRISM: “Several members of the PRISM forum were able to test the ByteShield DRM thoroughly. It
was invisible when playing the game, and left only a few easy to delete registry entries when the game
was uninstalled

Ok that is not what you just said. You said without any coding on the users computer. I also watched the video at that site and the CEo talked about a process in the program of " thousands of entries" meant to deter hackers

I am against hacking and have bought all my programs. I just don't want this stuff on my computer. Period.

Last edited:
Sorry Wulf, didn't realize til I looked again that you were just quoting that source

After experiencing starforce and securom everything will be far better .

DRM serves no purpose , for as long as executables are coded to look around for keys and cds and net connections anyone can just stop them for looking.

I hate registering my games on the net , i also hate having to login in my account in order to play so i will keep on exercising my right to use software without it's restrictions .

"Finally, an illicit copy of the application/game can open with a prompt asking the end-user to become legit and chose a license, creating a new sales opportunities"

**Jollyroger laughs hard**

Repeated verification and code delivery, making it almost impossible to circumvent the server

Like codex TV , kick dreambox under the carpet and pretend that there are no pirates

3% sounds like a very high percentage.

Definitely. 3% on a 45 EUR game would be 1.35 EUR. Way too much.

Here is some good news for all you Disciples III fans out there. Akella signed a deal with Byteshield to provide DRM for their products.
Requiring an active internet connection and code update every time I want to start up a single-player game is "good news"? What's "bad news"? Akella gets custody of my first born male child? I didn't buy the PC version of Mass Effect because of similar restrictions and I won't be purchasing Disciples III either. Shame really, as I've been a fan and supporter of the series, but so many games, so little time, and so little desire to jump through publisher's hoops.

Back
Top Bottom