Neverwinter Nights: EE - Signup for the Beta

Granted I didn't watch the entire video but what I did watch didn't impress me.

With that being said, unlike the infinity engine games NWN didn't age gracefully so if they do manage to massively improve the graphics l'm in. ;)

I can see where you're coming from as it doesn't really paint much of a picture when shown in bits like this. But when completed as a whole, I think it's going to look much more appealing.

One thing re the news item tho.. I think "signing up" for a beta key might be a touch misleading, ie I'm not sure it's free. I think you need to have already purchased a copy of the game via the headstart on Beamdog's website to qualify for access to the Steam beta.

It's free. I just went on to their discord channel this morning and messaged requested the channel manager for a key and was able to get one. Headstart just means you get to keep playing after the beta is closed.

4SdgK4L.png

Cool. I stand corrected.

I checked it out when they were just starting and it was looking good, a lot better then my recent 800x600 playthrough, lol. The game looks a lot sharper and crisper at 4K.

Y'now even in the original you can set the resolution to anything you want by tweaking the nwn.ini

It brings back the time I set it up on a 9 monitor display wall. It would work for awhile then the top 6 monitors would crash.

It brings back the time I set it up on a 9 monitor display wall. It would work for awhile then the top 6 monitors would crash.

It just wanted to be an Ultrawide display!

Looking forward to this. I like those higher poly models. I'm hoping they add a few new spells and spell effects too. There was nothing more beautiful in RPGs than seeing a room fill up with those luminous lime green acid clouds and bubbling pools and watching the baddies drop like flies. NWN1 is probably my all-time favorite cRPG when you take into consideration all the excellent fan modules for it. Hopefully NWNEE will bring back all the great module authors of yore.

Y'now even in the original you can set the resolution to anything you want by tweaking the nwn.ini

Yes, I'm aware of how to change resolution in video games. :) The problem is that the UI doesn't scale, so @ 4K res everything becomes extremely tiny rendering the game unplayable.

I tried to fix it and after spending way too much time I gave up and played @ 800x600 where I could actually read what was on screen. :)

actually you weren't sharing an opinion gloom, you were sharing something false like it was a fact.

The fact is the game does not work well on many modern setups. A simple google search will show you that. I personally had several issues getting the original working recently to the point i had to give up trying to play in high resolution. At that point i was happy to just play without it crashing.

So when i see stuff like that i like to correct it. Nothing personal. I hope more people find it worthwhile to buy the ee. For selfish reasons. I want more epic campaigns. :d

Are you seriously disputing the fact that the original game does run at 1920x1080?

It looks to me that you're the one confusing my opinion with facts.

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you but the original does run at 1920x1080 and that's a fact.

Saying the UI doesn't support 4K resolution is not the same as saying it doesn't work at 1920x1080 and if you can't tell the difference between these two statements then you are the one being disingenuous.

Plus in MY opinion (see, not a fact) what they have shown so far doesn't make it look like they've improved the UI so much at this point.

Caddy actually took the time to give us some screenshots for which I am grateful whereas you keep going on in circles claiming anyone who disagrees with you (and me especially) is pushing an anti Beamdog agenda which is beyond ridiculous.

Newsflash, I'm not part of any anti Beamdog campaign, in fact I don't give a flying duck about Beamdog, they're just another company trying to come up with some profit and I'm only interested in the games.

I get that you are a Beamdog fan and that you think that people HAVE to be like you (and if they're not you wrongfully assume that they are against you and Beamdog) but let me clear things for you, it's perfectly possible to like these old games and still retain some level of criticism towards what Beamdog are doing.

I'm not a Beamdog fan and what they have to show so far is not convincing ME.

Bottom line you can't tell me that my opinions are wrong just because I don't see eye to eye with you on that question so take my friendly advice and let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

EDIT: just to be clear I take it personally simply because you posted that I'm spreading false information when all I said in my first post was that the original game runs fine for me.

Purpleblob did post that it worked fine as well and you approve of that post and yet you take issue with mine?

I'm referring to these posts:

Works fine on my PC. There you go.

I can't see the point of that remaster unless they massively improve the way the game looks because the original is still working fine.

There are only two explanations, either you're being a hypocrite or you have a beef with me personally.

In both cases I can say I don't really care for your attitude and your insistence that I'm spreading false information when you're totally fine with somebody else saying the very same thing.

And FYI putting a smiley at the end of your post doesn't make things right.

If you can't respect my opinions then feel free to ignore my posts and I will ignore yours.

All you have to do is not reply to this post.

It's that simple.

At that juncture I do sincerely believe it's the best outcome for the both of us.

Last edited:
I played the two official NWN expansions in 1920 X 1080 with no real issues, though I did notice it wouldn't accept a 120 Hz refresh rate at that resolution for some reason, though it was listed as an option. Always felt that the original NWN UI was damn near perfect and didn't really need improving. In fact, I was worried that Beamdog would ignore the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fucking fix it! I'm hoping that since the original game designer is now head of Beamdog, he will take extra care to make NWN:EE something special. Quite frankly, I didn't really find the Baldur's Gate and Planescape EE editions all that enhanced.

It's all good. The simple fact is that the game does not work fine for a lot of people, which is one reason (among many) why Beamdog is enhancing the game. Beyond that anyone is free to have an opinion on what they're doing with the enhancements. :party:

Last edited:
NWN was badly in need of a graphics boost, so for me its a good thing. Especially for the still active NWN modding community. I prefer the NWN2 engine though.

NWN was badly in need of a graphics boost, so for me its a good thing. Especially for the still active NWN modding community. I prefer the NWN2 engine though.

Graphics boost for sure. I just wanted a fully scaling 4K UI, which they already added. So I'm happy. The extra graphics stuff is just a bonus really.

But NWN was also in need (arguably, depending on your level of Nerd Expertise or Modding Skill, per the pen-and-paper systems :p) of making it easier to find, download and install mods. As much as I love the Vault, it's unwieldy at times, especially when some modules require several folders of additions, other mods to be compatible, etc. etc.. Beamdog has already added Steam Workshop integration, so they're working on that.

Also, for me personally, it needed work with the Steam Controller. NWN was the first game I made a Fluent Controls profile for, and it currently needs the Auto Hotkey app to disable Windows shortcuts in order to use the controller properly (when you press certain hotkeys in-game, it can trigger Windows shortcuts and boot you out of the game.) So I've let them know about it and hopefully it will be fixed so the controller profile will work flawlessly. It works well already btw, once you disable those Windows shortcuts.

And then finally, the support for crashes/bugs that is needed for some people, too. Rather than fiddling with compatibility settings and downloading fixes, they can improve the game to run well on more setups. It took me too long to get the game up and running and then I gave up on 4K/HD resolution. So those are just a few of my own personal reasons I'm following the EE.

Last edited:
Bioware did come up with an installer but no one trusted the .exe of it.

Also, if you aren't careful, duplicate names can get overwritten IIRC. Maybe only in the Override directory (which you are officially not supposed to use).

It's all good. The simple fact is that the game does not work fine for a lot of people, which is one reason (among many) why Beamdog is enhancing the game. Beyond that anyone is free to have an opinion on what they're doing with the enhancements. :party:

The fact remains that you maintain that I've been spreading false information when it's just NOT true.

Your post simply confirms my previous assumptions on your character.

Congratulations.

The fact remains that you maintain that I've been spreading false information when it's just NOT true.

Your post simply confirms my previous assumptions on your character.

Congratulations.

I think there's a misunderstanding here that I'm not catching. I said you made a single false claim that the game "works fine". The reason @purpleblob;'s post was alright was because it mentioned the very important, "It works fine on my PC." My point was that the game doesn't work fine for all users, so saying the game just "works fine" is false. So I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is here.

The reason I was annoyed is because I've seen people say the same things in other threads about all of Beamdog's EEs. It's kind of funny, because you see posts like "all you have to do is add these 3 patches, download these 6 mods, Frankenstein your game together and it works fine. Pointless cash grab!" And it generally gets the game maybe 60% of the way to the EE, lol. But in this specific case about NWN it has already been talked about on here that the game was in need of an upgrade in more ways than one, including stability and making it work fine for everybody. I'm pretty sure the Mac version doesn't work at all, or is even rougher to get working.

So yeah, not sure what happened here but I apologized if I jumped on you too harshly to begin with. My bad. Just trying to clear up what I was saying. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I think there's a misunderstanding here that I'm not catching. I said you made a single false claim that the game "works fine". The reason @purpleblob;'s post was alright was because it mentioned the very important, "It works fine on my PC." My point was that the game doesn't work fine for all users, so saying the game just "works fine" is false. So I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is here.

The reason I was annoyed is because I've seen people say the same things in other threads about all of Beamdog's EEs. It's kind of funny, because you see posts like "all you have to do is add these 3 patches, download these 6 mods, Frankenstein your game together and it works fine. Pointless cash grab!" And it generally gets the game maybe 60% of the way to the EE, lol. But in this specific case about NWN it has already been talked about on here that the game was in need of an upgrade in more ways than one, including stability and making it work fine for everybody. I'm pretty sure the Mac version doesn't work at all, or is even rougher to get working.

So yeah, not sure what happened here but I apologized if I jumped on you too harshly to begin with. My bad. Just trying to clear up what I was saying. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Considering our discussion on the Trilogy thread you know that I said I was running BGEE so I really didn't get how you could take away from my single post here that I was running a campaign against Beamdog.

Never said anything about a cash grab either.

You've made wrong assumptions but apparently so have I.

Apologies accepted.

The really funny thing is that we agree on the most important point and that's the fact this game could use an upgrade.

I do hope they will give the game the massive update it deserves and to make my point crystal clear I'm rooting for the game, I think it deserves to be rejuvenated.

One thing is certain Beamdog have their work cut out for them because at this point there's still a long way to go.

Considering our discussion on the Trilogy thread you know that I said I was running BGEE so I really didn't get how you could take away from my single post here that I was running a campaign against Beamdog.

Never said anything about a cash grab either.

You've made wrong assumptions but apparently so have I.

Apologies accepted.

The really funny thing is that we agree on the most important point and that's the fact this game could use an upgrade.

I do hope they will give the game the massive update it deserves and to make my point crystal clear I'm rooting for the game, I think it deserves to be rejuvenated.

One thing is certain Beamdog have their work cut out for them because at this point there's still a long way to go.

Yeah, definitely. They do have a lot of people working on it, though, or will when they ramp up production more. A lot of people relatively speaking, of course.

And I didn't mean to imply you were running a campaign against Beamdog. I guess sometimes I'm not clear enough in my posts and I am also prone to responding when annoyed for other reasons (in this case, other people's posts, really.) So I'm glad we cleared it up now.

Onwards to more Dungeons & Dragons! :party:

I'm extremely excited about an enhanced edition of one of my all-time favorite CRPGs. I'm also extremely thankful for Beamdog and the work they put into these enhanced editions. I'll be picking this up immediately. (And I'm still playing the original NWN to this day. An enhanced edition will just... enhance my experience of the game. ;) )

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom