Fantasy book recommendations?

If you are dropping Amber because it feels like pulp fiction, I'm thinking you might not have got past around 30 pages in. One of the series' features is how it flips about from one genre to the next while maintaining a cohesive and interesting narrative.

yeah it's just my initial impression (i'm like 60-70 pages in or so, hard to say since i'm listening to the audio book - read by the author, which is cool). There's just so much out there so it's hard to not be very, very selective..

yeah it's just my initial impression (i'm like 60-70 pages in or so, hard to say since i'm listening to the audio book - read by the author, which is cool). There's just so much out there so it's hard to not be very, very selective..

Understandable! I'm just sayin', Amber is some wild stuff. :)

Steven Erikson's truly Epic Series!

After reading Fantasy for 35 yrs I thought I had my favorites and established hierarchy nailed down tight.

After reading the first two books in the series, my preconceived notions and expectations in ruin, Erikson was (and is) at the top of the new list ;)

I know you said a short series if preferred…but the first 5 books are pretty much self contained…the first 2 represent a story arch that is my personal favorite, with the 2nd book (Deadhouse Gates) having one of the most powerful and moving accounts in Fantasy literature that I've ever read (ie. The Chain of Dogs)…simply blew my mind with it's sheer scope and depth, an experience that will stay with me forever.

So I highly suggest reading the first 2 books, at least ;)

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates

The first two books in the "Malazan: Book of the Fallen Series

By Steven Erikson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

Warm Regards

Ah yes, i have actually bought Gardens of the Moon :) Going by the Amazon reviews it seems like you either love or hate it. It doesnt score very high (3.6/5) compared to many other fantasy books there, but it caught my interest anyways.

Well...as much as I absolutely LOVE the series, it and Erikson's writing style is the most complex that i have ever read. This isn't a "beach read" book or series by any means.

It's challenging and complex as well as intelligent, thoughtful and at times very humorous...and very satisfying once devoured.

Alas, it is not for the faint of heart or mind ;)

And perhaps some simply don't enjoy his style...

But for me...it was like seeing "color" for the first time in a world of black & white ;)

Since you own the first book, do give it a go, you owe yourself the opportunity and possibility!

Thanks for the reccomendations. I have a hard time finding good fantasy. The last ones I've read are Jack Vance's Dying Earth series and Bujold's Chalion series. Both are excellent.

The Death Dealer series by Frank Frazetta and James Silke. First book in the series is Prisoner of the Horned Helmet.

Just adding a book I've just finished to the list: Goblin Quest: Jig the Goblin.

It's an interesting take on the concept of dungeon delving from the monsters' perspective. It's a bit humorous, but still a fairly serious story.

All 3 of those, as well as his series based on Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella are pleasant reads. The humor tends to fade in favor of more traditional heroic adventure as the series go on, but still fun. Jim Hines is the author. Recently finished the latest entry of the latter series, actually.

Stumbled upon — ok, it's not hard to find, really — a neat site:

bestfantasybooks.com

It may serve very well as inspiration for new entries in my ever growing "want to read" list. If the Top 25 list is not enough, there's their honorable mentions, basically Top26-xx. It's not so much about the rankings for me, but there's lots of info on each book / series so I can make up my mind more easily.

I sometimes feel I'm the only person in the world who considers A Song of Ice and Fire overrated, while at the same time considering Wheel of Time the best of the best.

Anyway, if you enjoyed LotR, Wheel of Time is definitely much closer than the likes of A Song of Ice and Fire and most other, modern fantasy. Just like RPGs, it seems fantasy is going through a period where "dark and gritty" is vital.

Mistborn is also a pretty good choice in that regard, and has a significantly smaller scope than Wheel of Time.

Mistborn was a nice series. I hope Sanderson wasn't ruined by trying to emulate Jordan's rambling, off-track, style. If one of Sanderson's character's start pulling their braid, or complains 1000 times about men, then we'll know he's been compromised.

Regarding lighter stuff, the Shannara books were also pretty fun, IIRC. Classic fantasy fare.

I sometimes feel I'm the only person in the world who considers A Song of Ice and Fire overrated, while at the same time considering Wheel of Time the best of the best.
Well, they are very different, which I'm glad for. I read somewhere that fantasy authors were supposedly still trying to escape from Tolkien's LotR influence, but I also read that it's no longer true. Some have moved on.

I'm intrigued by the Malazan Book of the Fallen that Roland mentioned above. It's being compared to A Song of Ice and Fire, which probably means "dark and gritty", huh? And it sounds massive, what with ~1000-1300 pages for each of the ten books…

I also don't care for 'dark and gritty' I find enough of that in RL.

Lots of good recommendations here. If you like Robin Hobbs and Martin check out J V Jones Sword of Shadows Series as well as Greg Keyes Kingdom of Thorn and Bone.

It has been decades since I read Thomas Covenant. I remember it being about a leper who had godlike powers because his wedding ring was made of white gold, but that's about it. I recall liking it better once the guy got over his constant pity party. I only read the first set of books.

I'm re-reading Trudi Canavan's series The Black Magician trilogy. It revolves around a former thief who is forced into becoming a mage or her magic will kill her. The first book is about becoming a mage, the second book is about her attending classes, where everyone hates her because she's common, and the third book is basically a romance novel. It's definitely average and takes no chances with originality.

I'm actually reading the third of the follow-up series by Trudi C which takes place 20 years after the first series. Enjoyable without being great.

Back
Top Bottom