Neverwinter - Foundry Preview Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Lucky Day sends in a roundup of Neverwinter previews with a focus on the Foundry toolset from around the 'net.

Here's a snip from The Escapist article:
On the story tab, you can set missions and associate them with particular NPCs you've placed on the map. Our demo had a guard at the start of the level who asked the players to kill some undead deeper in the crypt. You add dialogue with a simple text editor and can give the player multiple responses that branch off into new conversations. There are also options to limit a player's choices based on different criteria. You might have a particular conversation option that's only available to certain classes, or certain Charisma levels. Through the creation process, a handy wizard will tell you if you have any loose ends or uncompleted elements in your story. Once the conversation is in place, you can assign a task outside of it for the player to accomplish. In this case, it's killing the undead in the rest of the crypt. The mobs of enemies are placed with their own unique states and aggro ranges. What's more interesting is that, like with the Aurora engine, you can simply label a monster spawn along a scale of "easy" to "hard" and the game will automatically scale the encounter to the ability and size of the player's party.
The Neowin article also has some small screens.
More information.

Sounds pretty user friendly. Definitely going to check it out.

Would be nice to see the NWN community receive a shot in the arm from a new, user-friendly toolset. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

But what you create can only be played online, too ?

So ... then it is kind of a hybrid between an MMO and an offline game ?

right, quests will be able to be completed solo, even the main game (with companions) - sort of acts like a DRM system when you do that. Its been noted on these boards that it seems like a trend lately.

Good luck playing it then Ive no interest in the company or there type of game they created. It not a true squeal at all. Keep your drm and shove it up there ass. I hope it bombs just like there other games. Its an MMO quit trying to label it otherwise its just like there other games. This inst the type of kick the community needs.

Good luck playing it then Ive no interest in the company or there type of game they created. It not a true squeal at all. Keep your drm and shove it up there ass. I hope it bombs just like there other games. Its an MMO quit trying to label it otherwise its just like there other games. This inst the type of kick the community needs.
NWN2 was not a true sequel.
IWD2 was not a true sequel.

I think this is exactly what the community needs. Online games have been shown to be significantly more profitable than their offline equivalents. Now, we appear to be able to get the best of both worlds. Want to play with friends? Go for it. Want to solo and build a party of NPC's? Go for it. Want to create your own adventure and share it with a huge community (and have it relatively easy to do, unlike NWN2)? Go for it.

neverwinter Nights marked the end of my days as Bioware fan. It was a genuinely awful game in every way, and playing it online with user mods just depressed the fuck out of me because it reminded me how much fun I used to have in actual in-person D&D sessions when I was a teenager, while at the same time providing nothing but a shallow mockery of that experience.

Was there even a demand for this? Or are they just being cheapskates and trying to sell a half-ass game engine while calling it a game? And I'm with the previous commenter when it comes to a general lack of respect for this company. If Bioware couldn't pull it off, Cryptic doesn't have a hope in hell.

Back
Top Bottom