Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Paid DLC Planned

Dhruin

SasqWatch
In a series of tweets yesterday, Trent Oster revealed plans for DLC for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Trent promises the full Baldur's Gate experience will be included with the initial release but they have more content - including paid DLC - planned:
We plan to support the game after release with DLC.
We'll be doing free feature improvements and existing content improvements as we go, but we are also planning some paid DLC.
We would never DLC existing content. Any DLC content we plan to sell will be all new.
DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.
Prior, Trent also said they were in a "holding pattern" for approval to release more news and that cloud saves were planned.
News-wise, we're in a holding pattern on approvals and getting new content submitted into the approvals pipeline.
We've got cloud saves in our plans. Those plans have yet to be realized. I'm hopeful, but it could be pushed post-ship.
More information.

Didn't they mention trying to attempt to make it compatible with existing mods?

Between party AI and what the BG modding community started doing to it was the inspiration for creating Neverwinter Nights.

Normally not a fan of dlc (heck, never bought any of it yet for any game), but this is one I would probably buy if it was done well. I'm a sucker for Baldur's Gate, so this is an easy sell.

Normally not a fan of dlc (heck, never bought any of it yet for any game), but this is one I would probably buy if it was done well. I'm a sucker for Baldur's Gate, so this is an easy sell.

Arkadia, I have to agree. I've never been a fan of DLC either (though I do miss old style expansion packs). The price/hour of game play for them always seemed limited. IF (and its a big IF) they keep the price reasonable then I'd consider it.

So where can I get more info? Are the graphics improved, etc?

review-seed-2-4.jpg

So where can I get more info? Are the graphics improved, etc?

The official website for more info:
http://www.baldursgate.com/
Can't say anything with confidence. Beamdog hasn't shown any gameplay screenshots yet (at least I did find nothing) but we can be anticipant that they won't mess it up.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they suggested to include expanded content in their originally announced single product, in no way creating the impression I'd have to pay extra for all that.
Not sure if this is a change many players will be excited to hear.

So now we need to wait another year for Baldur's Gate - Ultimate Enhanced Ultra Edition?

I'm pretty sure they suggested to include expanded content in their originally announced single product, in no way creating the impression I'd have to pay extra for all that.
Not sure if this is a change many players will be excited to hear.

Yep, I thought it was going to be included and this was one of the main reasons for buying this version. I've waited 14 years to play this game, I suppose I can wait another year or two.

So now we need to wait another year for Baldur's Gate - Ultimate Enhanced Ultra Edition?

Yep, I thought it was going to be included and this was one of the main reasons for buying this version. I've waited 14 years to play this game, I suppose I can wait another year or two.

I don't think that what they are tweeting about is the extra character and other content that they originally announced. They are looking to take this and really add a lot to it. I never have a problem paying for more stuff.

I don't think that what they are tweeting about is the extra character and other content that they originally announced. They are looking to take this and really add a lot to it. I never have a problem paying for more stuff.

I just bought the GOG version of BG1 and 2 before all this was announced. I had been trying to install the mods that let you play through both games with the BG2 engine and eventually I gave up.

Playing through a stable game with the new content and improved assets would definitely be worth waiting to buy the BGEE for PC, but I'm not really inclined to buy the BGEE and then keep buying more DLC every few months.

I'll just wait to buy the whole thing, preferably after it goes on sale at some point.

You people are RPG fans.Support the few devs doing stuff like this by buying full price or this new idea will disappear as did the infinity engine. ;)

Uh... rereleasing old stuff is not really a new idea. Anyway, I'm still a fan of Baldurs Gate and might buy that, but.... I dislike the whole dlc stuff. Make one addon and I'm fine with it.

This makes me rather grow my disgust of DLC in general … I feel kind of tricked into BG Enhanced Edition seeming to become merely a tool to sell DLC …

This might not have been their intentions, but this is the "message" arriving at me.

Yes, and I do know that I'm weird sometimes …

They previously implied we would get new content as part of the Enhanced Edition. I hope this still holds true.

Daniel.

Yes, and I do know that I'm weird sometimes …

Yes you are :) (and I mean it in a nicest possible way) IF BG Enhanced Edition will cover the entire original content than I don't see a problem with DLCs. After all, if you are just after the game in its original form, you don't have to bother with DLCs. Think of them as mods that you have pay for. They might be nice to have but they aren't compulsory.

I hope they reconsider DLCs and make full scale expansion pack.If not I am hoping for large DLCs like those for Fallout new vegas.If they go for lot of low price/low content DLCs I won't bother with them.

Back
Top Bottom