IGN - Top 100 RPGs of All Time

Dhruin

SasqWatch
All week IGN has been putting up their Top 100 RPGs of All Time. The list is now complete but being all-platform and including MMOs, jRPGs and everything in between, it's sure to meet discussion. The top 5 are Final Fantasy IV, Pokemon Red/Blue, Baldur's Gate II, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI at #1, just to give you a taste.
More information.

Wait... what? Dungeon Master came out for the Atari 2600!? No way! The game is WAY WAY too huge. A joystick and one button aren't enough to control that game. And, even if you got by those walls - why!? The console was dying fast in the late 80's, what would a 1993 game be doing there? Maybe they managed to wedge the game into an Atari 800?

I agree with some of the rankings, but I have some big problems with this list:

1. It's TERRIBLY written, and the game summaries are functionally worthless. Seriously, they could've ripped the intros from Wiki pages and ended up with better summaries than this. Z grade quality.

2. The combination of JRPG and WRPG does really work so well. I LOVE FF6; it's almost certainly my favorite JRPG of all time. That said, I just don't think it should be compared with WRPGs. I could easily see someone who loved BGII or Fallout absolutely loathing FF6. They're just such different forks; I don't see any reason to combine them for a list like this.

This list is terrible.
Another bullshit from IGN.

What kind of stupidity is that list, can't believe someone actually made it and still I'm seeing it.

These lists always generate controversy. My top games are not going to be the same as other peoples; it comes down to individual taste.

My top RPG has been Ultima IV for years. The lack of interactive combat in Ultima VII lowered it's rating in my eyes - just pressing C and sitting back to watch wasn't as appealing as the turn based battles of the previous games in the series. The role playing aspects were outstanding, but I prefer a little more combat and more control during the combat.

Wow this list is bad, even when you ignore the jRPG's and MMO's. Remove those, and your top 5 RPGs are:

1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Diablo 2
3. Skyrim
4. Mass Effect
5. Fallout 3

That's pretty much just laughable.

Planescape: Torment isn't even in the top five! I'll admit th at Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 are among the best JRPGs, and are very good games, but I don't think they really hold up against games like Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment, and Fallout for story, characterization and decision making.

The best crpg lists are here at the Watch:
Top 10 CRPGs of all time

totally agree

Maybe some enterprising journalist could search the Internet and come up with a list of the all time "Best RPG LIST". I'll start

#1 RPG Watch
#2 Gone Gold
.# 27 The Wall Street Journal
.#42 That Annoying Game Stop Employee
#88 My Grandma
.#225 IGN

. The top 5 […] Pokemon Red/Blue

xaynar.jpg

I did expect a bad list, but this goes way beyond my wildest expectations.

I know that people at IGN are crazy but seriously WTF?Original fallout next to pokemon black and white,oblivion in front of morrowind, PS:T not even in top 10,Pokemon red/blue 4th witcher not even in top 15 and plenty more.Seriously WTF?

Back
Top Bottom