Vagrus: The Riven Realms - Project Update & Big Adventure Event

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Lost Pilgrims posted a little update on holidays happenings.

Project Update - Holiday Happenings

Hey everyone,

Now that the 2021 holidays are over and we had a little rest, Lost Pilgrims is getting back into the swing of things. But even during that wonderful time of the year, we had some amazing things going on around Vagrus, which we've decided to collect into a single article for you.

First, Vagrus made the list of Nookrium's favorite indie games of 2021. From a dude who plays and critiques so many games, this is a great honor! Go check out his work if you are into hidden gems of the indie gaming world, which his channel focuses on.

Vagrus also made the top 10 Indie of the Year list of IndieDB based on player choice (IndieDB PlayersChoice #10)! There were a lot of great games last year, so it comes as a great surprise to us, especially because we share the list with illustrious company indeed. This is all thanks to our amazing players of course, so a big Thank You! to everyone who voted on us.

Next up is another great accolade: Strateture at Turnbasedlovers placed Vagrus 2nd on his Best 5 Turn-Based RPGs of 2021. We again find ourselves in great company with fantastic titles like Gloomhaven and Solasta - mind-blowing, really.

Last but not least, Vagrus was also mentioned among the 'The best games you missed in 2021' over at Rock Paper and Shotgun. The article is an interesting read, focusing on what features and qualities single the game out from among other RPGs or strategy games.

We are greatly honored by all these and know that it would not have been possible without you, the players supporting us all the way. So thank you again, and we'll be back soon with more content and shiny new things for Vagrus!
They also tweeted about Big Adventure Event (January 20-24) to which they will be participating.

We are very excited that we can finally reveal that #Vagrus has been selected for the upcoming Big Adventure Event on @Steam organized by @Hitcents.

Can't wait to be part of this amazing event. Stay tuned for more news and program schedule.
More information.

I have had this wish-listed forever, and been following it closely in EA.
From the positive reviews it sounds like the praise is deserved and appreciated.
I don't play demos of games I know I'm going to definitely pick up at sometime and play,
my Birthday is fast approaching so hoping to pick it up then. :fingerscrossed:

I have had this wish-listed forever, and been following it closely in EA.
From the positive reviews it sounds like the praise is deserved and appreciated.
I don't play demos of games I know I'm going to definitely pick up at sometime and play,
my Birthday is fast approaching so hoping to pick it up then. :fingerscrossed:

The prologue demo is the same as the optional little campaign of the full game, which serves as a tutorial. I don't know if the demo is as long though, or if it stops earlier. But both have been updated to the same version.

So you wouldn't ruin anything nor waste your time if you tried the demo. :) But if you'd rather have the surprise, it's understandable.

If you haven't followed the development, I'd suggest to read the dev logs describing the game's mechanics when you start to play, because it's really not intuitive nor clearly described in the game (even in the tutorial). At least for the combat system. You can see the dev logs on Lost Pilgrims' website or on Steam. There are a few tutorial videos on youtube too, but that's more for the main campaign.

Get it. Honestly I'd be interested in talking to anyone who isn't enjoying this game just to find out why, because it's amazingsauce.

Get it. Honestly I'd be interested in talking to anyone who isn't enjoying this game just to find out why, because it's amazingsauce.
It seems to me like a text adventure more than anything else. I doubt it's for me unless I'm really in the mood to read a lot.

It's not for everyone, the big warning on their Steam page is not an exaggeration.

I like it, but I really need to know I have enough time in front of me to relax, read and focus on the adventure and the numbers - you don't move characters, it's text, char/stats/trade sheets and token on a map. It's also quite harsh and you have to accept that you may have to sacrifice everything to stay alive and restart from scratch.

As I hinted at, it's not easy to get into the game either, in order to understand some of the concepts I had to go through all the past dev logs, and pay attention to some of features that changed (some earlier dev logs are not entirely correct anymore). There is a tutorial but it's far from perfect, and blocks / hides some of the features at the beginning, which makes it even harder to understand. To make it even less user-friendly, they removed the ability to manually save the game in the tutorial part, so sometimes you'll have to restart whole chunks of it and waste a few hours (I never understood how they could have decided such a stupid idea).

But don't be put off by that, because once you are past the learning bit, it's great to read the story unfold with its detailed narrative and the choices & consequences. It's also fun to explore and play with the trading system.

I'll likely jump into this one later this year, I've enjoyed reading enough about it that I don't worry if I'll get entertainment out of the purchase. It simply strikes all the right tones with me!

Back
Top Bottom