What games are you playing now?

Indeed, it's hard for any other game to even approach the sheer value plus fun that Heroes of Might and Magic three has given me over the years. It's simply the stellar gift that keeps on giving.

Yes, I also keep learning new things and tactics all the time. I used to play more aimlessly just for fun and now I've learnt to split stacks to kite slower enemies :D

Until this year, I never used this as a consistent tactic.

Age of Empires III & American Conquest

My reading material has me wanting to play some gunpowder-tinged RTS, namely the colonial era. I've always had American Conquest on the back burner, as it's a cossacks-style (for better or worse) colonial RTS. Problem w/ the game, is that there really is no manual to speak of, or tutorial. But the attention to details when it comes to having drummers, standard bearers, all that - I really think there's some gold here, but it's a slow boil w/ questionable AI.

I fired up AOE3, which is right off the bat more accessible. The tutorial is that hilariously over-patronizing narrator that talks to the player like a grownup to a 6 year old. Just run me thru the Home City mechanics, i dont need a pat on the head for right-clicking my Davey Crockett 5 feet :)

I always end up throwing Age of Empires 3 over my shoulder after a few hours, and as I play it a bit - while it's more accessible, there seems to be an infuriating lack of unit control that can make the battles frustrating

I was casting about looking for something to play and, while I'm years behind in getting to it, now I'm about six hours into Tyranny. I don't care for the frenetic combat, yet the questing and all the personalities are quite enjoyable, so I'm making good use of the pause feature and playing my way through. I'm pretty sure I meant to play this one long before now, it just got lost in the endless shuffle.

I was casting about looking for something to play and, while I'm years behind in getting to it, now I'm about six hours into Tyranny. I don't care for the frenetic combat, yet the questing and all the personalities are quite enjoyable, so I'm making good use of the pause feature and playing my way through. I'm pretty sure I meant to play this one long before now, it just got lost in the endless shuffle.
It's a fun game with a fun magic system. Enjoy it!

Been trying to figure out what to play while I wait for Solasta to get more patches. I reinstalled ToEE and Dying Light. I think I'll mess around with Dying Light a little first since I've been on a zombie kick lately and it's been a few years since I played it.

Ehhh I tend not to care much for magiks, yet I just acquired some bloke (Lantry I think the name was), so I'll see what he's capable of. Right off the bat he's earned a spot simply by healing! He also seems to have an outrageous lore-score, so I'm assuming he's capable of a lot. Some meanies were going to snuff him so we dueled for his soul instead.

Tyranny is pretty odd. I started out liking the Disfavoured faction, yet the more I actually encountered them in the field, the more I grew to intensely dislike them and what they stood for. I'm siding with the Scarlet Chorus for now, and hoping that doesn't bite me in the tush later. If these blokes irk me, I suspect I'll just throw down and make my own frigging faction, lol.

I'm playing Dysmantle, a zombie survival-ish game, which despite being "early access", doesn't feel like it is at all. The map is huge and there is plenty to... uh... dismantle.
I don't like the respawns. Not so much that it has them (which you can prevent when you get around to inventing and installing a certain item), but that they are the exact same respawns in the exact same places. Some minor randomness would have been nice.
Other than that, it's a cruisy, enjoyable game. Low on thrills, but enough there to keep you returning. Returning to an area to pull more stuff apart with your newly upgraded crowbar (or whatever) is quite satisfying.

Alongside Solasta I'm also playing Tropico 2, which is quite a weird game, but addictive enough in the short term.

Tyranny is pretty odd. I started out liking the Disfavoured faction, yet the more I actually encountered them in the field, the more I grew to intensely dislike them and what they stood for. I'm siding with the Scarlet Chorus for now, and hoping that doesn't bite me in the tush later. If these blokes irk me, I suspect I'll just throw down and make my own frigging faction, lol.

It's basically "Lawful Evil" against "Chaotic Evil". Personally, I just couldn't get myself to side with the scarlet Chorus.

I played Tyranny this last winter. I eventually grew bored of it and stopped playing but I honestly don't really remember precisely why. One thing certain, I didn't enjoy the ruleset / system. I should try continuing eventually. I'm nearing the end of Solasta.

Been trying to figure out what to play while I wait for Solasta to get more patches. I reinstalled ToEE and Dying Light. I think I'll mess around with Dying Light a little first since I've been on a zombie kick lately and it's been a few years since I played it.

Tell me JDR13, I know you played Dying Light before, so please if you can, take your time to answer my doubts below:

How's the exploration part in the game? Is there enough exploration in the city? Can we enter buildings etc? Is it rewarding?

Can we fight toe-to-toe against the enemies/zombies or fighting is not recommended? How is the combat part?

Parkour… Is it nicely done? Shall we "execute" a series of QTE events in order to properly do the parkour thing? My main concern is the parkour part, I don't know if I can do it right, and I'm afraid it will spoil my fun.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm still playing Thea: The Awakening, and man, did I just have a rough session. Super fun and got a ton of good loot and stuff, but FOUR characters permadied on me, in rather extraordinary ways. Random attacks as I was travelling the map by extremely strong monsters. Went from 16 characters to 12 and each one is so valuable, it really was a tough pill to swallow. Still, I soldier on, hoping more babies get found in the cabbage patch. :)

There's a rebel faction which I guess is the good guys, but they are pretty hard to join. It requires exactly the right choices in the pre game thing and the first few maps. Not very good design, I think. But I'm considering playing again and try it out, since I enjoy being the good guy more.

There's ways to choose the lesser evil and ways to not feel as lousy in the game, but sometimes there are only bad choices, due to earlier choices. I enjoyed it, but it's a bit reminiscent of Alpha Protocol, though not as advanced.

I'm still playing Thea: The Awakening, and man, did I just have a rough session. Super fun and got a ton of good loot and stuff, but FOUR characters permadied on me, in rather extraordinary ways. Random attacks as I was travelling the map by extremely strong monsters. Went from 16 characters to 12 and each one is so valuable, it really was a tough pill to swallow. Still, I soldier on, hoping more babies get found in the cabbage patch. :)
I've consider trying the Thea-games. What do you enjoy about the game?

I'm likely going to stick with the Scarlet Chorus for now, unless they show themselves to be utter douche nozzles. If I do a play-through again in a few years or so, I'll most likely strive to either opt for the rebels or do a straight-up anarchist route. I can truly understand not likely the rule-set in this game, for me it's the chaotic combat that I don't care for, yet the story is compelling enough for me to soldier on.

I've consider trying the Thea-games. What do you enjoy about the game?

Well, it's just really, really good! I enjoy the exploration, where you send a mobile party to explore a huge, ever-changing map. You clear out skeleton tombs, hive nests, fight roving monster parties, get into unique and sometimes repeatable events (with different outcomes), go on quests and find interesting, new locations. Then you also do stuff at your home village, like craft new equipment, build your village with different buildings (that grant various buffs), gather resources. The combat is also a lot of fun, using a unique card-based system that is easy to learn but difficult to master. It has so much going for it, it really does.

It also has a great magical lore setting, sort of like a fantasy storybook. Very unique lore, too, not revamped but quite rare, interesting and new. In short, if any of that sounds interesting, you owe it to yourself to play the series, starting with the first game. It really is a massive and fantastic experience! :party:

Well, it's just really, really good! I enjoy the exploration, where you send a mobile party to explore a huge, ever-changing map. You clear out skeleton tombs, hive nests, fight roving monster parties, get into unique and sometimes repeatable events (with different outcomes), go on quests and find interesting, new locations. Then you also do stuff at your home village, like craft new equipment, build your village with different buildings (that grant various buffs), gather resources. The combat is also a lot of fun, using a unique card-based system that is easy to learn but difficult to master. It has so much going for it, it really does.

It also has a great magical lore setting, sort of like a fantasy storybook. Very unique lore, too, not revamped but quite rare, interesting and new. In short, if any of that sounds interesting, you owe it to yourself to play the series, starting with the first game. It really is a massive and fantastic experience! :party:
Everything sounds fun except the card game battles. Hmm. I guess I could watch some clips to see how they work. Thanks for a detailed reply!

Everything sounds fun except the card game battles. Hmm. I guess I could watch some clips to see how they work. Thanks for a detailed reply!

Anytime! :party:

I was kinda iffy about the card battles too, but after playing them I started to really enjoy them! And now I also usually auto-battle 2 skull challenges or less to save time. Skulls range from 1-5 so anything 3 and higher I manually battle, the rest just get auto-won pretty much. You'll like it, the rest of the game is worth it. :)

They completely changded the combat system between Thea 1&2, so you could watch a bit of each in action and see which you prefer. I preferred the system in 1 myself, but it's more of a "card game" than 2. The rest of the game is largely the same in how they play. And no, you don't have to have played 1 to play 2.

Back
Top Bottom