Backup Messenger and Outlook

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
I have to send my laptop to support (broken fan), and I have to make sure I backup everything I wish to keep.

The two items I don't know how to backup are Microsoft Outlook and MSN Messenger.

When it comes to Outlook I wish to keep my e-mails, my address book and my filters.
When it comes to Messenger I wish to keep both my contacts, history and my emoticons (custom smileys).

Maybe there are someone here who know how to do this?

What you want should be in:
( if you are using windows XP at least )
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\<Outlook or messenger>

ive screwed this up several times here at work and lost a ton of valuable emails.

It seems easy enough, put the data file in a certain spot, reformat, then put the data file back where it needs to go. When everything's said and done, it never seems to be able to read the data file. My new policy, since we're on an exchange server, I just put all emails on someone's pc temporarily in their inbox, do the reformat, then pull everything out an put in a new folder after outlook is installed again.

Another one to try on the frankenstein pc until i get it right. I'm gonna have to be able to do this without mistakes on a potential customer's pc

Last edited:
There are several different methods to accomplish this dependant upon exactly which version you use and what you wish to save. I don't think the OS should matter though. You can find information here: Backing up Outlook

Make sure you read all of it because each method has little idiosyncracies. For instance simply exporting the info will not retain "folder design properties" (permissions, filters, forms ect..)

As for messenger your on your own. I don't use it, so cannot provide help. Maybe google has something on it; I didn't look.

Ubbax
"A man must be both stupid and uncharitable who believes there is no virtue or truth but on his own side."—Joseph Addison

I should have read that earlier.

I backupped the \Outlook and \Messenger folder like GG said. I also made an export of my .pst with the import/export function. I also exported the filters.

Simply copying the files back didn't work. Turns out my main outlook .pst wasn't stored in \Outlook. I probably moved it somewhere else way back and forgot about it. But after some hassle I managed to get my exported files working. It wasn't a matter of simply copy/paste but now it's running.

Messanger partially works. I got the emoticons transfered, and that was the important part. Some of my customized settings was lost which is kinda weird. I believe I once used a MSN customizer that changed the way MSN looks. I'll have to track it down again.

how to create outlook backup

Hi There,
If we lose our outlook attributes, its difficult sometimes to get it back. So either you can create outlook backup or you can download the software which can recover all your attributes.

regards
pearlshinny

Back
Top Bottom