Divinity: Original Sin II - Let there be Voice

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Divinity: Original Sin II is now fully voiced:

Welcome to Kickstarter Update #42!

Okay, so remember an age ago when we said we couldn’t do voiceovers for Divinity: Original Sin 2? Well, we changed our mind! We changed our mind and we aren’t sorry! Muahaha!

Well.

Sort of.

About halfway through production, we realized just how big this game was getting. We thought there would be no way, either time or budget-wise, to voice it all. So we started small, hoping to improve the soundscape by voicing some one-liners and voice barks. But it just didn’t feel right. We wanted to hear our beloved characters talk. Really talk. So we crunched some numbers, poured some coffee and decided:

Oh heck, why not. Let's fully voice Divinity: Original Sin 2!

Here’s Swen hanging out in the sound dungeon for the full scoop.

More information.

It looks better with each update.

Even though I hope the comedial tone of the actual game will be a bit toned down, I always get such a positive vibe from the update videos that Larian seems to be a great place to work at.

Not regretting having backed this (only my carrier choices a bit ;))

Last edited:
Fully voiced dialogues always seems like a waste of resources to me. I like ambient dialogue and a spoken line or two, but more than that is just annoying when I'm trying to read...

I realise that it's something alot of people appreciate though, so if it makes the game sell more in the end I'm a fan of the decision.

I much prefer voiced dialogue myself. I find it much more immersive and it motivates me to actually listen to what's being said instead of just skipping over half of it - which is what always happens when I have to read a lot of dialogue.

Also, most games allow you to disable the voice-overs by muting dialogue - if you really have a problem with it, so I'd have to say it's a pretty petty position to have a problem with it being there for others.

It requires just about zero development time to implement - and if the money is there for the voice actors - then what's the big deal?

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear about this.

Now, I just need a mod to disable those terrible stealth animations and I'm all set!

Probably as many people than coop or slightly more.

People who wants to to buy that game would do with or without that and I am sure too than people who had no plan to do that will certainly not buy it because of that.

Oh well, as long than they don't cut anything related to the SP campaign because of that kind of waste.
Next game however I will sit on the fence with those guys because voice-over and coop and all that stuff are a given now and we will see if they start to shortcut things because they have to accommodate those pieces.

Also, most games allow you to disable the voice-overs by muting dialogue - if you really have a problem with it, so I'd have to say it's a pretty petty position to have a problem with it being there for others.

Muting dialogues completely would be a bit sad, like I said I like a line or two to get a sense of the character.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me when you said "petty", but if you did you should read what I wrote again. I clearly stated that I know alot of people like it and hence approve of the decision even if it isn't my personal preference, that would be the opposite of being petty.

Muting dialogues completely would be a bit sad, like I said I like a line or two to get a sense of the character.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me when you said "petty", but if you did you should read what I wrote again. I clearly stated that I know alot of people like it and hence approve of the decision even if it isn't my personal preference, that would be the opposite of being petty.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular and obviously not you as you don't fit the kind of person I was talking about :)

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular and obviously not you as you don't fit the kind of person I was talking about :)

Haha, noted and well put. I thought that since you claim to just skip dialogue if it's only written perhaps the same was true for forum posts. ;)

Had I written only the first half I would indeed have deserved "petty", at least without further elaboration on my views.

It is rare than the quality of the acting with a full voiced game is totally consistent across all the game and every NPC. We are talking about 1000 NPCs and 1000 000 words RPG according to Swen not an action game.

Haha, noted and well put. I thought that since you claim to just skip dialogue if it's only written perhaps the same was true for forum posts. ;)

Had I written only the first half I would indeed have deserved "petty", at least without further elaboration on my views.

I can't claim to be thorough at all times with everyone.

For instance, my mind more or less auto-skips half of Chien's posts - because it's essentially just noise to my eyes.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people do the same thing with my posts. I mean, some of them are somewhat verbose ;)

Our brains are more or less designed around filling in the blanks based on an active imagination, anyway.

I would be quite surprised if more than 10% around here actually read through every post in a thorough manner.

Certainly, it seems way out of the norm that people truly bother to understand each other - unless they happen to agree about the topic at hand.

Even then, it's more or less just an assumption because our brains skew the results towards alignment when our emotional state is one of agreement.

Anyway, I guess this already got quite off topic.

I'm mixed here. Witche 3 and so far rise of tomb raider are quite good. d:eek:s was ok but the story itself was pretty bad.
-
I have positive vibes for this one since the game is much more story driven than the previous one. time will tell.

Fully voiced dialogues always seems like a waste of resources to me. I like ambient dialogue and a spoken line or two, but more than that is just annoying when I'm trying to read…

I realise that it's something alot of people appreciate though, so if it makes the game sell more in the end I'm a fan of the decision.

Witcher 3 was quite good.

Sure. The game was designed around that from the start however there was not text to read. The number of people you met and could discuss with were for example limited. It was not isometric RPG game with 1000 NPC but more a ARPG so like with the Fallout, Skyrim and such it makes sense.

But again, I just thought it was a waste of resource because I was under the impression than when you meet NPC 512, Quest 126 text you may be a bit fed up to wait for the end of the reading. Apparently some people are quite happy with this so kudos for them.

I can't claim to be thorough at all times with everyone.

For instance, my mind more or less auto-skips half of Chien's posts - because it's essentially just noise to my eyes.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people do the same thing with my posts. I mean, some of them are somewhat verbose ;)

Our brains are more or less designed around filling in the blanks based on an active imagination, anyway.

I would be quite surprised if more than 10% around here actually read through every post in a thorough manner.

Certainly, it seems way out of the norm that people truly bother to understand each other - unless they happen to agree about the topic at hand.

Even then, it's more or less just an assumption because our brains skew the results towards alignment when our emotional state is one of agreement.

Anyway, I guess this already got quite off topic.

Thanks for keeping this post under 200 words! (154)

Seems like a daunting task given the large amount of branching dialogs.

Fully voiced dialogues always seems like a waste of resources to me. I like ambient dialogue and a spoken line or two, but more than that is just annoying when I'm trying to read…

Yes me too, are we getting old? Lol

Divinity: Original Sin II is now fully voiced:

You don't say. Well I'm speechless.

Hopefully there aren't too many annoying cheese vendors in this one.

I think it just shows the commitment from Larian to producing the best game possible, I also think it brings out character's personalities, especially accents.

Back
Top Bottom