Planets - Kickstarter Now Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The promised kickstarter forPlanets³ is now live. The developer Cubical Drift are asking for $250,000 to get the game funded in thirty days.
Planets³ is a 3D open-world voxel-based Role-Playing Game (first person view).

Imagined by video game lovers, Planets³ (pronounced «planetscube») combines the excitement of role playing with the pleasure of construction and the boundless freedom to roam about in a 3D universe. Its intricate plot and outstanding voxel based design offers opportunities for intense action and unlimited creativity. Planets³ has been designed to promote multi-player gameplay, to share the fun with friends. Today, in the early development stage, all the elements are in place to develop a first PC release. What we need now is your help to make it happen!
They already have the first update posted were they talk about rewards, the games alpha, and space enemies. So read on for a small part of the update.
Concerning alpha and beta: all backers who pledge 20$ or more will get access to all alpha and all beta (first and second opus) when they are available. As said in the road map diagram: Race to space Alpha is scheduled to fall this year, Race to space Beta for spring next year. We do not engaged ourselves for Space Enemies releases, but there will be an alpha and a beta too, and backer (>=20$) will get it too (in 2016 or 2017).
Thanks Icefire for sharing the link I almost forgot about this game.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

Also before anyone points out the title is wrong I can not add the tiny 3 in our news editor it will break the program. I had three games with weird names do it before.;)

So enjoy the news-bit and give your feedback. I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion as I'm not sure I want to back this one yet.

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion as I'm not sure I want to back this one yet.

Pros - it looks amazing and every fresh idea should be "tested" on our poor old machine.

Cons - it's sandbox/MMO.

I'm not backing. Will wait for their next project that is antiMMO.

Cons - it's sandbox/MMO.

huh?

I haven't seen a single mention of MMO in that page. It does have multiplayer, but it seem more like Minecraft/PlanetExplorer than EQNext Landmark.

Press F3 and search for this on the KS project page:
Planets³ has been designed to promote multi-player gameplay, to share the fun with friends.
I want to share fun with friends on a dance floor, on a party, on some outside activity or whatever else indoors that includes emptying a box of beer (no pot anymore, it got very expensive, I can't get seed to plant it myself and I don't want to touch any homelaboratory chemical crap). No matter the fact I'm one foot in a grave because of my age, I'm still not in a wheelchair. While having a great time with friends, I can definetly pass a word to them that there is some old or new game out there to have fun with on a rainy day as I did recently with Gothic3 and Blackguards. I guess there is something terribly wrong with me. Should I visit a shrink about this particular problem?

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me why voxels are popular? I guess I don't understand. I liken it to someone trying to convince me that I can watch a movie on a 3-inch, black and white screen with a mono 2-watt speaker and love it as long as the movie is really good.

But why does everything have to look clunky?

Because voxel are cubes...

Although some games has surface smoothing, like all the ones using Voxel Farm (aka Planet Explorer and EQNext Landmark).

So I guess Joxer hates Baldur's Gate then.

Joxer, don't you play LoL? You can play that with friends too.

Baldur's Gate is co-op only and has no further multiplayer elements, like competitive playing modes. That's a huge difference.

Cons - it's sandbox/MMO.
I'm not backing. Will wait for their next project that is antiMMO.

I just received a backer email about MP. this quote was in it.

"Planets³ will not be a Massively Multiplayer Online game (MMO). In order to play in multiplayer mode, you will have to run a server of your own creating an universe, and invite your friends to join this universe. "

Back
Top Bottom